DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Boys (Amazon) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 9/4/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/650029-boys-amazon-season-2-thread-premieres-9-4-20-a.html)

DJLinus 09-10-20 09:33 AM

Re: The Boys (Amazon) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 9/4/20

Originally Posted by story (Post 13801439)
Stormfront is considered a white supremacist group. The link is to the Southern Poverty Law Center's description of them

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...a9d03b9d56.jpg

And coincidentally the title of a Billy Joel album.

Bandoman 09-10-20 10:15 AM

I knew it was all a Billy Joel conspiracy!

Noonan 09-10-20 10:19 AM

I assume there's no reasoning behind why some supes are more powerful than others? StormFront can use weather but also appears to have the strength of Homelander? The brother could force push stuff but had the strength of "normal people"?

Bandoman 09-10-20 10:47 AM

I think it's a crap shoot re: how compound V affects each individual.

OldBoy 09-10-20 10:47 AM

wow. i'm so glad i caught up with the 3 eps. so fucking good. that whale scene was awesome and Kimiko's face while watching Stormfront (played brilliantly and so bitchily by Aya Cash) on tv was priceless. so glad this is week to week now so i can truly be on track. and is it me or do you never really see what Queen Maeve can do or Black Noir for that matter? what can they do exactly? i vaguely remember in S1, but so far i don't think either have used their powers at all in S2...

Noonan 09-10-20 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bandoman (Post 13803105)
I think it's a crap shoot re: how compound V affects each individual.

Which opens it up for them to do whatever they want. So safe to assume StormFront could man handle folks like A Train, Deep, Noir...etc as well? None of them have shown super strength unless you count A Train running through someone and not being injured?

Big Boy Laroux 09-10-20 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13803106)
wow. i'm so glad i caught up with the 3 eps. so fucking good. that whale scene was awesome and Kimiko's face while watching Stormfront (played brilliantly and so bitchily by Aya Cash) on tv was priceless. so glad this is week to week now so i can truly be on track. and is it me or do you never really see what Queen Maeve can do or Black Noir for that matter? what can they do exactly? i vaguely remember in S1, but so far i don't think either have used their powers at all in S2...

Aya Cash is excellent - Anyone that hasn't watched any of "You're the Worst", I highly recommend it!

Yeah, even popclaw had general "strength" powers in addition to her "mutation" - no consistency, which is fine, but does lead to some surprising moments that you don't expect (as you had no idea it was in their skillset).

I'm hoping we get more on black noir as the season goes on - that quick scene of him sobbing in the hallway was pretty effective.

Timber 09-10-20 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13803113)
Which opens it up for them to do whatever they want. So safe to assume StormFront could man handle folks like A Train, Deep, Noir...etc as well? None of them have shown super strength unless you count A Train running through someone and not being injured?

A-Train pulled a train last season

Josh-da-man 09-10-20 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux (Post 13803180)
I'm hoping we get more on black noir as the season goes on - that quick scene of him sobbing in the hallway was pretty effective.

I'm also curious about his backstory.

I know his story from the comics, but, the way the story is unfolding, it doesn't seem like it's likely they're going to keep that storyline from the comics.

Which was really kind of brilliant, because it's a twist that came completely out of left field -- I don't think anybody reading even guessed at it, but Ennis (the writer) had been planting the seeds for it very early on.

Noonan 09-10-20 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 13803222)
A-Train pulled a train last season

Yeah but that doesn't necessarily mean he has super strength. I have no knowledge of the comics but their powers seem pretty ambiguous. If all of the 7 are basically Superman with some tweaks to what each can do, why aren't the other supes who aren't part of the 7?

dex14 09-10-20 08:02 PM

Episode 4 is up. It looks like they will regularly drop on Thursday 8pm Eastern.

Josh-da-man 09-10-20 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13803313)
I have no knowledge of the comics but their powers seem pretty ambiguous. If all of the 7 are basically Superman with some tweaks to what each can do, why aren't the other supes who aren't part of the 7?

In the comics there are tons of other "superheroes," mostly based on other Marvel and DC mainstays.

Tek Knight = Batman meets Iron Man
Teenage Kix = Teen Titans
G-Men = X-Men
Super Duper = Legion of Superheroes
Doctor Peculiar = Doctor Strange
and so on...

They have trimmed this down quite a bit for the tv show; the only team mentioned is the one that Annie was involved with before the Seven, I think.

In the comics, from what I recall, "Compound V" would trigger random super powers in the people who took it. So A-Train is sort of the Flash, Homelander is sort of Superman, The Deep is sort of Aquaman, etc.

And, for those wondering if Hughie will take V, in the comics The Boys were all "juicing" with V from the beginning so they can fight the supes hand-to-hand. So this might become a plot point in the tv series, though, since they haven't already, it might not, either. There are quite a few differences from the comics already, and they already seem to be going in some different directions. Butcher's wife, Becky, being a prime example.

The Antipodean 09-11-20 01:17 AM

I am digging season 2 so far but am I the only one who’s finding the product placement a bit out of control? Plugs for
Fresca, Papa Johns, Almond Joy, Bosch (an Amazon show!), debates about Dunkin vs Baskin Robbins, plug for Wet Wipes... seems rather blatant. And it takes me out of the show every time. It’s all paid for of course, but an actual commercial break would’ve been less annoying.

dex14 09-11-20 09:12 AM

Josh-da-man 09-11-20 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by The Antipodean (Post 13803623)
I am digging season 2 so far but am I the only one who’s finding the product placement a bit out of control? Plugs for
Fresca, Papa Johns, Almond Joy, Bosch (an Amazon show!), debates about Dunkin vs Baskin Robbins, plug for Wet Wipes... seems rather blatant. And it takes me out of the show every time. It’s all paid for of course, but an actual commercial break would’ve been less annoying.

Product placement is a weird thing.

When I'm watching something, and people are using obviously fake products, it stands out. You know, if they're drinking a "Rock Cola" instead of a Coke or Pepsi.

But product placement also becomes intrusive when someone is drinking a Pepsi or eating a bag of Doritos, and they're holding it so the logo is perfectly displayed, and it's shot in a way that draws your eye to the product.

All of the Burger King plugging in Stranger Things Season Three became intrusive. I mean, okay, it's fine if the Russian guy wanted a Whopper. But then, when they're at the mall, it seems like that massive BURGER KING sign is in the background of every fucking shot. Most of the other store names are kind of blurry, and blend into the background, but then there's that fucking BURGER KING that hangs in every shot like it's a character in the story.

DVD Josh 09-11-20 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13801698)
I did LOL when Homelander threw the kid off the roof. I knew what was going to happen next. I wonder if the "Son of Superman" will be even stronger than his dad? I've yet to read to the comics, so I don't know what happens.

I've not read the comics nor even heard of them before this series. But I have a theory that it all plays into what Vogelbaum said to Homelander - that he wishes he grew up loved instead of in a cold lab. Maybe Becca is playing a long game where someone has the power of Homelander but did grow up in a loving house and therefore could take him down. Who knows, Billy doesn't that's for sure.

DVD Josh 09-11-20 11:03 AM

I actually thought Ep. 3 was the worst of the entire series, although since the series is so awesome, it's still like an 8/10 lol.

Josh-da-man 09-11-20 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 13803746)
I've not read the comics nor even heard of them before this series. But I have a theory that it all plays into what Vogelbaum said to Homelander - that he wishes he grew up loved instead of in a cold lab. Maybe Becca is playing a long game where someone has the power of Homelander but did grow up in a loving house and therefore could take him down. Who knows, Billy doesn't that's for sure.

That's not a bad theory.

In the comics, Homelander didn't have a kid. And Becky...
Spoiler:
was definitely dead. She died after being raped by Homelander, and died giving birth to Homelander's baby, which ripped its way out of her belly in front of Butcher, killing her instantly. The baby then tried to kill Butcher with its laser vision, and he beat it to death with a lamp.

Big Boy Laroux 09-11-20 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13803730)
Product placement is a weird thing.

When I'm watching something, and people are using obviously fake products, it stands out. You know, if they're drinking a "Rock Cola" instead of a Coke or Pepsi.

But product placement also becomes intrusive when someone is drinking a Pepsi or eating a bag of Doritos, and they're holding it so the logo is perfectly displayed, and it's shot in a way that draws your eye to the product.

All of the Burger King plugging in Stranger Things Season Three became intrusive. I mean, okay, it's fine if the Russian guy wanted a Whopper. But then, when they're at the mall, it seems like that massive BURGER KING sign is in the background of every fucking shot. Most of the other store names are kind of blurry, and blend into the background, but then there's that fucking BURGER KING that hangs in every shot like it's a character in the story.

And i'd imagine in the case of The Boys, the Fresca specifically is going to come into play with the Cult in some way. I mean the way they focused on it was SO hamhanded, there's no way it was just product placement.

Bill Needle 09-11-20 07:41 PM

My biggest question is how did Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan produce such a punchable face?

OldBoy 09-12-20 12:11 PM

Can someone tell me again, why the 3 were looking for Liberty aka
Spoiler:
Stormfront?

OldBoy 09-12-20 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 13804014)
My biggest question is how did Dennis Quaid and Meg Ryan produce such a punchable face?

and why Stargirl would want to fuck him? ;)

Red Hood 09-12-20 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13804305)
Can someone tell me again, why the 3 were looking for Liberty aka
Spoiler:
Stormfront?

Spoiler:
They were looking for Liberty as that was the tip Grace Mallory gave Butcher. Grace knew something about the past that would tie Liberty and Stormfront and the black lady confirmed it by saying they are one and the same and that Liberty/Stormfront killed her brother in an apparent racist attack.

Draven 09-15-20 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by The Antipodean (Post 13803623)

Well they did rightfully shit on Almond Joy :lol:

spainlinx0 09-15-20 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13805672)
Well they did rightfully shit on Almond Joy :lol:

No! Almond Joys are the best! I don't understand people who don't like shredded coconut.