DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Boys (Amazon) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 9/4/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/650029-boys-amazon-season-2-thread-premieres-9-4-20-a.html)

dex14 09-03-20 10:29 PM

Re: The Boys (Amazon) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 9/4/20

Hot damn did they deliver!
That scene with Blindspot. -eek-

Timber 09-04-20 08:19 AM

Episode one was really good. Loved Gus smacking down Homelander.

dom56 09-04-20 09:12 AM

So, only just three episodes today are their be more coming later?

dex14 09-04-20 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by dom56 (Post 13800188)
So, only just three episodes today are their be more coming later?

One a week starting next Friday.

csant 09-04-20 01:37 PM

What a great start to season 2. Can't wait for more...

DJariya 09-04-20 01:50 PM

I saw 2 of the 3 last night. The opening episode with the funeral of Translucent was great. And great to see Giancarlo Esposito back. Amazing that he's on 4 high profile shows right now.

and great way to bring back Billy in episode 2.

For those unaware, there is an After Show hosted by Aisha Tyler. It's broken up episode by episode. So you can watch the episode that coincides with the one you finished.

I loved when she said in the 1st episode at the very end.....Normally we would give you a sneak peak of episode 2, but the episode is already out. Go fucking watch it!! :lol: Esposito, Quaid and Malcolm Barett were the guests in the 1st episode. And it's no holds barred, they do curse in it. And it's not done on Zoom. Tyler is in the studio, but the guests are in a different room.

Bill Needle 09-04-20 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13800308)
For those unaware, there is an After Show hosted by Aisha Tyler. It's broken up episode by episode. So you can watch the episode that coincides with the one you finished.

I was looking forward to watching this but I could only make it through half the second episode before I grew weary of actors lecturing me with dopey cliches about how awful America is instead of, oh I don't know, actually discussing the show?

On the other hand, really enjoyed the first three episodes.

Bill Needle 09-04-20 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13800090)
That scene with Blindspot. -eek-

At first I couldn't remember what this referred to but oh yeah, -eek- is right. Blindspot I hardly knew ye.

Cellar Door 09-04-20 09:34 PM

Great start to the season! But, man, episode 3 is pretty fucking grim.

When I was in Junior High in the mid-80s, I remember we had a Suicide Awareness lesson (part of a national campaign?) which featured that Billy Joel video. As soon as Hughie started listening to the song in episode 2, I knew he was really struggling.

Also in episode 2, I thought I recognized the voice of The Deep's
Spoiler:
gills, and he confirmed it on twitter: Patton Oswalt. That scene had me rolling with laughter, especially when they broke out in song.

This show is fucking nuts. :lol:

johnnysd 09-05-20 02:40 PM

I saw 1 review headline before I watched and it was like "bloated second season loses its mofo" or some shit like that so I was a little nervous but I thought the first 3 episodes were not bloated but crammed with just awesomeness. And I am not a violence/gore guy and there is a LOT. Such an awesome show. I have a theory:
Spoiler:
Fring (fucked if I remember this characters name) is actually a SUPE, maybe one of the first supes and Homelander is in for a little surprise when he goes all laser eyes on him.

Theory 2: Hughie some how is going to take Compound V this season

Just a completely awesome show. And each episode is a full hour hopefull WoT is the same.

Why So Blu? 09-05-20 03:42 PM

Great first 3 episodes! I did have a glitch, from Amazon's side, where the first 2 episodes only played in HD and the 3rd episode played in full HDR. Hopefully it will get fixed.

cowtown 09-05-20 08:03 PM

Rewatched the last Season 1 episode where Homelander slices up Syrian civilians, then started in on the new stuff. This show is still awesome and hasn't lost a step!

Originally Posted by johnnysd (Post 13800738)
it was like "bloated second season loses its mofo"

Yeah, it definitely hasn't lost its mofo. :D

DJariya 09-05-20 11:09 PM

Just finished episode 3. It was IMO the best of the 3. Crazy shit all around. The whale scene. :lol: and then Stormfront going on that killing rampage in pursuit of Kumiko's brother. 1st we think she's some tough badass bitch. Then it turns out, she's a psychotic racist. :lol:

The After Show Inside the Boys is great. It's funny and let's everyone including Aisha Tyler talk very loosely no holds barred uncensored. I liked Antony, Aya and Chace in that episode. They were very funny together.

The episode 3 After show was really fun too. Karen Fukuhara is cute and very charming. And the writer of episode 3 did talk about the episode and how it delved into racism, which is true and has political ramifications in our society.

Overall, very pleased so far. Looking forward to next week.

spainlinx0 09-06-20 08:15 AM

For the CEO of Vought to be so comfortable dressing down Homelander makes me think they must have some sort of counter to supers. It only makes sense they would have a counter. If I develop a superhero formula, I would make damn sure that I had an antidote or a suppressant in case the people taking the drug went rogue. I wonder if we’ll see something like that if Homelander or Stormfront start actively trying to destroy Vought.

d2cheer 09-06-20 08:37 AM

As much as I enjoy this show I guess I will have to be the contrarian here. Way too much time spent with fish boy to set up the whale scene. Maybe it is because I can't stand the character. To me it started a bit slow. But it is still better than most shows. I don't like that I have to wait each week now. But I can understand why they are doing it.

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 13801009)
For the CEO of Vought to be so comfortable dressing down Homelander makes me think they must have some sort of counter to supers. It only makes sense they would have a counter. If I develop a superhero formula, I would make damn sure that I had an antidote or a suppressant in case the people taking the drug went rogue. I wonder if we’ll see something like that if Homelander or Stormfront start actively trying to destroy Vought.

Yeah he was way to comfortable taking Homelander down a few pegs there could be something to that.

dhmac 09-06-20 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 13801009)

I know the original comic did have a countermeasure for Homelander (look it up if you want to find out more), but I suspect the series is not going in that direction. However I do think Vought has something secret to counter The Seven so probably another drug that counters Compound V (they are *primarily* a pharmaceutical company afterall) or maybe a secret Supe whose power is the ability to suppress any other Supe's powers.

adamblast 09-06-20 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 (Post 13769694)
I still want to know whats going on with Homelander's face. Specifically, the left cheek/jawline.

He's got two or three unnatural looking lumps in his cheeks, almost like he's eating, but they're permanent. And more. There's definitely something going on with his face, maybe an old accident & reconstructive surgery? Dunno. He's pretty great in the role.

With Jenson Ackles playing a WW2-era supe in S3, he could be in just one backstory scene, so don't get too excited.

Why So Blu? 09-06-20 11:47 AM

He has an underbite.

Troy Stiffler 09-06-20 05:48 PM

Homelander is such a douche. There really aren’t many antagonists that I hate as much as him. In anything.

adamblast 09-06-20 08:29 PM

Plus: the return of [small spoiler]
Spoiler:
the fly!!!!:banana:

I didn't think it was a real thing in S1. They definitely make a deal out of it this year in the first episode, if only to tweak our noses.

dstrauss 09-07-20 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13800932)
Then it turns out, she's a psychotic racist. :;lol:

Seemed pretty obvious the moment they named her StormFront.

TomOpus 09-07-20 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by dstrauss (Post 13801412)
Seemed pretty obvious the moment they named her StormFront.

Obvious? Stormfronts do some damage and shake things up but I wouldn't imagine RACIST would be included. Out here in the midwest we get stormfronts all the time. Never knew one to be racist.

story 09-07-20 10:47 AM

Stormfront is considered a white supremacist group. The link is to the Southern Poverty Law Center's description of them

TomOpus 09-07-20 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by story (Post 13801439)
Stormfront is considered a white supremacist group. The link is to the Southern Poverty Law Center's description of them

I didn't know that. I stand corrected.

spainlinx0 09-07-20 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 13801013)
As much as I enjoy this show I guess I will have to be the contrarian here. Way too much time spent with fish boy to set up the whale scene. Maybe it is because I can't stand the character. To me it started a bit slow. But it is still better than most shows. I don't like that I have to wait each week now. But I can understand why they are doing it.

Yeah he was way to comfortable taking Homelander down a few pegs there could be something to that.

I do agree with you about the Deep. I am not too fond of his storyline so far, but maybe this Scientology shit they’re pushing pays off later.

DJariya 09-07-20 03:30 PM

Wow, The Boys has gotten trolled with mostly 1 Star reviews because people are pissed with the weekly release strategy. :lol:

Jason 09-07-20 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 13801465)
I do agree with you about the Deep. I am not too fond of his storyline so far, but maybe this Scientology shit they’re pushing pays off later.

I'm finding the character more sympathetic than I expected. He's a scumbag, but he's trying to reform. The two funniest moments in the series for me were the dolphin in the van and Deep "rescuing" a lobster from the grocery store. The scientology shit is boring though. Can't really see a payoff.

d2cheer 09-07-20 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler (Post 13801193)
Homelander is such a douche. There really aren’t many antagonists that I hate as much as him. In anything.

And that is why it is such a GREAT character and actor playing him. One of those you love to hate.

Bill Needle 09-07-20 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 13801465)

The problem is that the other story lines are just so much stronger that this one feels like it is wasting time that could be spent on the good stuff. But I think the lighter, somewhat humorous stuff actually helps set apart and even intensify the more serious scenes that follow. So not my favorite parts of the episode either, but works as kind of an addition by subtraction.

Why So Blu? 09-07-20 09:40 PM

I did LOL when Homelander threw the kid off the roof. I knew what was going to happen next. I wonder if the "Son of Superman" will be even stronger than his dad? I've yet to read to the comics, so I don't know what happens.

I did think the stuff with Deep was the weakest. I think the gills are gross and felt that the whole thing with Patton Oswalt was weak. Stormfront was a real c-word, but they're definitely going to build on that. Urban still rocks and is my favorite character on the show. The Female is also really cool. I did not realize it was Katana from Suicide Squad. She's pretty.

Gunde 09-08-20 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13801530)
Wow, The Boys has gotten trolled with mostly 1 Star reviews because people are pissed with the weekly release strategy. :lol:

Slipknot said it best: People = Shit

Deftones 09-09-20 07:03 PM

Loved all 3. Really wish they had not spoiled the whale thing in the trailer. So many different plots going on at the same time. The show is pretty deep with regard to plot.

I do agree with above speculation about the two points.
Spoiler:
Vaught has a way to control the heroes and Hughie somehow takes compound V

Big Boy Laroux 09-09-20 07:30 PM

I normally watch all trailers, but decided not to for season 2, even though I was super excited for it. Some of the stuff comes out of left field, so happy to not be spoiled!

Bandoman 09-10-20 07:56 AM

This show is fantastic. I had never heard of the comics before last season, so this is all new to me and I'm loving every minute of it. I laugh every time Homelander insists on calling them "Supervillains" and everyone ignores him and keeps calling them "Super Terrorists". :lol:

dom56 09-10-20 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler (Post 13801193)

He definitely not going to win Father Of The Year. :lol:

DJLinus 09-10-20 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by story (Post 13801439)

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...a9d03b9d56.jpg

And coincidentally the title of a Billy Joel album.

Bandoman 09-10-20 09:15 AM

I knew it was all a Billy Joel conspiracy!

Noonan 09-10-20 09:19 AM

I assume there's no reasoning behind why some supes are more powerful than others? StormFront can use weather but also appears to have the strength of Homelander? The brother could force push stuff but had the strength of "normal people"?

Bandoman 09-10-20 09:47 AM

I think it's a crap shoot re: how compound V affects each individual.

OldBoy 09-10-20 09:47 AM

wow. i'm so glad i caught up with the 3 eps. so fucking good. that whale scene was awesome and Kimiko's face while watching Stormfront (played brilliantly and so bitchily by Aya Cash) on tv was priceless. so glad this is week to week now so i can truly be on track. and is it me or do you never really see what Queen Maeve can do or Black Noir for that matter? what can they do exactly? i vaguely remember in S1, but so far i don't think either have used their powers at all in S2...