Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S5E03) -- "The Guy for This" -- 3/2/20

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 08:11 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Better Call Saul (S5E03) -- "The Guy for This" -- 3/2/20

Episode 503: The Guy for This
Jimmy’s business enters uncharted territory. Kim’s confidence is tested when she’s faced with a legal problem only she can solve. Nacho navigates increased pressure from Gus. Mike continues to spiral.

Written by: Ann Cherkis
Directed by: Michael Morris

Old 03-02-20, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E03) -- "The Guy for This" -- 3/2/20

So what's the meaning behind the ice cream cone? I realize Saul dropped it last week, but I'd like to hear others' interpretations of something deeper.
Old 03-02-20, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

That what he has sweet in his life(Kim), he's never gonna get a chance to enjoy because of the shit he's now involved in haha.
The following users liked this post:
rennervision (03-03-20)
Old 03-03-20, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtv00
That what he has sweet in his life(Kim), he's never gonna get a chance to enjoy because of the shit he's now involved in haha.
More than just Kim... his life basically. Jimmy's life was moving forward... practicing law again, getting a lot of clients/cases, relationship with Kim, looking at houses. He was eating the ice cream almost as a celebration of where he's gotten - but like you said, it's gone before he got a chance to even enjoy it all.
Old 03-03-20, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well this episode sets up Krazy 8 as a lifelong DEA snitch.

From the BB Wiki
At some point, Domingo leaves the employment of Nacho and the Salamanca drug business and establishes himself as a solo drug dealer and manufacturer. He develops a tough reputation and takes on the nickname of "Krazy-8", which was originally bestowed upon him by Lalo Salamanca. In order to maintain a firm grip over the local drug trade, he often blows the whistle on rival dealers to the DEA and steals their former customers for himself. He also meets Jesse Pinkman, a childhood friend of his cousin Emilio Koyama, at some point.
Old 03-04-20, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
So what's the meaning behind the ice cream cone? I realize Saul dropped it last week, but I'd like to hear others' interpretations of something deeper.
I kind of saw it as it started with one ant, then another, then 10 more, then soon it was hundreds. It mirrors Jimmy's descent into the crime world, one small step at a time, until he's so deep in it there's no going back.
Old 03-04-20, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I watched last night's episode at a friend's house on Netflix. I usually DVR on AMC. Before the start of the episode, "A Netflix Original Series" was displayed. Since when is this a Netflix original? It's an AMC original.
Old 03-04-20, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by JZ1276
I watched last night's episode at a friend's house on Netflix. I usually DVR on AMC. Before the start of the episode, "A Netflix Original Series" was displayed. Since when is this a Netflix original? It's an AMC original.
It sounds like your friend is using a VPN and watching it from the Netflix UK or some other international market, where Netflix distributes it.
Old 03-04-20, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
Nacho didn't want melted ice cream dripping all over the upholstery of his hooptie.

But it could also represent all that is left of Saul's innocence and good nature, which he drops on the ground and leaves behind before he enters the car, thus making a metaphorical pact with the devil, and it's left abandoned on the concrete, to be consumed by vermin.
Old 03-04-20, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

My favorite scene in this episode was when Hank and Steve Gomez showed up.

It was so great seeing those characters again and I like when Hank saw through what Jimmy was doing and even mocked the "Saul Goodman/It's All Good, Man" name.

Old 03-04-20, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

For what it's worth, here's another take on the meaning of the ice cream...

https://screenrant.com/better-call-s...ng-bad-future/

​​​​​​... courtesy of some random message I saw on my phone which must be spying on me.

I kind of prefer the idea inferred in this thread it represents a reward for Saul that was very brief, but is now being ravaged.
Old 03-04-20, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I thought this was one of the better episodes of BCA and yet is getting almost no discussion.

We know that both Saul and Mike (even deeper) eventually get aligned with Gus, meaning Jimmy somehow assists in the betrayal of Lalo with Nacho, but Jimmy thinks Lalo is still alive in BB. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

It is now definitely Breaking Bad .5 prequel now, the ice cream among other things symbolized the end of Jimmy and the end of the show being about James McGill aspiring lawyer.

As good as Jimmy/Saul is the character of Kim is absolutely amazing and the major scene with her in this episode was incredible. Like Jimmy she is a living dichotomy and you see why they get along so well, thought they took opposite paths. Kim is both the poor sweet hearted girl that escaped AND the elitist rich white lawyer who will step on anything to get her success, and like he says "does charity work (pro bono) once a month to make her feel good about herself.

Jimmy going the other way and despite his fear embracing it, Kim becoming the woman that the old man says she is but regretting it but can't quite keep herself from going done the path.

Maybe in the end Kim is able to save herself and become the good person she really is, and Jimmy continues his descent into madness.

I still think though, that Wendy is a possibility for Kim
Old 03-04-20, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
It sounds like your friend is using a VPN and watching it from the Netflix UK or some other international market, where Netflix distributes it.
When I said "friend" I really meant me & "watching on Netflix" really meant torrent. I know that's frowned upon over here. Interesting, so Netflix distributes this show in other countries? I didn't know that.
Old 03-04-20, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

When I said "friend" I really meant me & "watching on Netflix" really meant torrent. I know that's frowned upon over here. Interesting, so Netflix distributes this show in other countries? I didn't know that.
Many shows are on NF outside of the states. I think cbs is on there including all the current Star Trek shows
Old 03-04-20, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
Many shows are on NF outside of the states. I think cbs is on there including all the current Star Trek shows
Yes but to claim it's a Netflix original is like Stranger Things airing on AMC & AMC claiming it's an AMC original.
Old 03-05-20, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Yes but to claim it's a Netflix original is like Stranger Things airing on AMC & AMC claiming it's an AMC original.
Netflix puts "Netflix Original" on just about everything they stream.
Old 03-05-20, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Koby
Netflix puts "Netflix Original" on just about everything they stream.
I don't understand how the studios can let Netflix basically advertise the content as their own.
Old 03-05-20, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,186 Likes on 4,213 Posts

I don't understand how the studios can let Netflix basically advertise the content as their own.
Happens all the time. Like with the most recent Best Picture Oscar winner for example
Old 03-05-20, 05:26 AM

Many of their shows aren't completely "original". Many are acquisitions. That was especially the case when it first started. HBO has done this before by importing BBC shows.

It would happen on regular TV all the time. Was Lethal Weapon and Gotham FOX shows? Yes, they aired on FOX network but they are owned by Warner Brothers.

Last edited by dex14; 03-05-20 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-05-20, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
Like with the most recent Best Picture Oscar winner for example
What?
Old 03-05-20, 02:35 PM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
As good as Jimmy/Saul is the character of Kim is absolutely amazing and the major scene with her in this episode was incredible. Like Jimmy she is a living dichotomy and you see why they get along so well, thought they took opposite paths. Kim is both the poor sweet hearted girl that escaped AND the elitist rich white lawyer who will step on anything to get her success, and like he says "does charity work (pro bono) once a month to make her feel good about herself.

Jimmy going the other way and despite his fear embracing it, Kim becoming the woman that the old man says she is but regretting it but can't quite keep herself from going done the path.

Maybe in the end Kim is able to save herself and become the good person she really is, and Jimmy continues his descent into madness.

I still think though, that Wendy is a possibility for Kim
Love the analysis. I had the opposite interpretation of what Kim's going through, though. Like I think her pro bono work is genuine. She actually finds it more fulfilling, and the bank stuff is a distraction from that. She would rather do these defense cases all day but knows it doesn't pay the bills. So she resents that. And I think she kind of resents Saul because from her perspective, he gets to now be the lawyer he always wanted to be and isn't suffering any consequences for it (not realizing the major consequences he's dealing with now). Like when she yelled at the old man to put his big boy pants on, she was kind of talking to herself. Like, "Stop pretending you can be a lawyer that just helps people. You need to pay the bills and that means figuring out how to kick this poor man out of his house."

And I think her looking up the home listings was a sincere way to connect with that man and help him. She wanted to try and help him the way she gets to help her pro bono clients. But then I don't know why she shifted to trying to pull a Jimmy and lie about her childhood. The guy saw right through it, but that further cements to Kim that she can't have what Saul has.
Old 03-05-20, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,186 Likes on 4,213 Posts

What?
It opens with a Universal logo but it wasn't made by Universal.

And several HBO Original Series are really BBC.
Old 03-05-20, 03:14 PM

Oh, I thought you were saying Netflix had something to do with it.
But to that point, yea, Universal has nothing to do with the movie besides home media distribution. Their logo wasn’t played theatrical, since it was Neon, who also has nothing to do with it getting made.
Old 03-07-20, 04:18 AM

What?
Yeah, I didnt get that one either.
Old 03-07-20, 02:27 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

lol great episode and everyone's talking about Netflix branding

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.