DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Homeland (Showtime) -- The 8th and Final Season -- Premieres 2/9/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/649822-homeland-showtime-8th-final-season-premieres-2-9-20-a.html)

uteotw 03-30-20 12:15 PM

Re: Homeland (Showtime) -- The 8th and Final Season -- Premieres 2/9/20

Originally Posted by MrX (Post 13714387)
Honestly surprised that they killed Max.

That was totally shocking, esp. right after they just executed the Taliban guy while Saul watched. Max was a great character.

Bill Needle 03-30-20 02:41 PM

Max was the Deus ex Machina of the show. Whenever the writers wrote themselves into a corner or just needed something particularly ridiculous to happen Max would show up and do some "hacking" while mumbling about something or another which was never explained. I think they actually realized it themselves and spoke through Carrie when she talked about him being a cardboard cutout of a character. Or more likely I am giving them too much credit and it is simply a fun coincidence.

Coral 03-30-20 09:43 PM

I wasn't shocked at Max dying as he was a pretty minor character overall. If they could kill Quinn, then Max isn't a big deal.
The surprising part was killing Max so quickly in the episode and right after Haqqani.

mcnabb 03-31-20 08:54 AM

I'm alittle behind as I just watched episode 6. I pose this question every year after Carrie's ridiculous actions, "How is she still in the CIA?" :lol:

MrX 03-31-20 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 13714796)
I think they actually realized it themselves and spoke through Carrie when she talked about him being a cardboard cutout of a character. Or more likely I am giving them too much credit and it is simply a fun coincidence.

I though that was more to point out and reinforce was a shitty person Carrie is.

Shannon Nutt 04-02-20 06:59 AM

As an example of how far over the shark HOMELAND has jumped in the past three or four seasons: The Russian is the only one I care about on this show. :lol:

johnnysd 04-04-20 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13716704)
As an example of how far over the shark HOMELAND has jumped in the past three or four seasons: The Russian is the only one I care about on this show. :lol:

Not sure the shark is even visible.

MrX 04-05-20 08:59 PM

Given how everyone on this show fails upwards, Jenna’s well on her way to being director of the CIA at the end of the series.

Coral 04-05-20 10:25 PM

I'll admit, I don't fully get what's going on. There are a few things that I'm not clear on, and I just didn't have the energy to rewind scenes to get a better idea or even search for answers in the internet. I just continue to surf-watch it and await it's conclusion.

MrX 04-05-20 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13718801)
I'll admit, I don't fully get what's going on.

Neither do the writers.

mcnabb 04-06-20 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13718801)
I'll admit, I don't fully get what's going on. There are a few things that I'm not clear on, and I just didn't have the energy to rewind scenes to get a better idea or even search for answers in the internet. I just continue to surf-watch it and await it's conclusion.

Sadly, it's actually an interesting plot in that they are trying to avoid an all-out War in the Middle East after the new President and his advisors think the President was assassinated. But the Carrie stuff is so outrageous, only this time because Saul is just letting her run amuck in the Middle East after she evaded them on that plane to Germany. Even though Carrie has the right intentions, but she is out of line and essentially going rogue and Saul is letting him happen in plain sight. That's the difference between the previous seasons is he would always clamp down on Carrie, but now he is just letting her muddle through the middle east and wiring her 1 million dollars when she is with a Russian Spy.

johnnysd 04-06-20 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by mcnabb (Post 13718906)
Sadly, it's actually an interesting plot in that they are trying to avoid an all-out War in the Middle East after the new President and his advisors think the President was assassinated. But the Carrie stuff is so outrageous, only this time because Saul is just letting her run amuck in the Middle East after she evaded them on that plane to Germany. Even though Carrie has the right intentions, but she is out of line and essentially going rogue and Saul is letting him happen in plain sight. That's the difference between the previous seasons is he would always clamp down on Carrie, but now he is just letting her muddle through the middle east and wiring her 1 million dollars when she is with a Russian Spy.

Yeah Old Saul would have been a voice of reason with her and no way send her $1 million. Not to mention that if they knew what it was to begin with they could have just texted the CIA and got the money anyway.

That said I did enjoy someone just drugging Carrie after her inevitable sex move. Look she's not ugly, but seriously cray cray, I got it when she slept with the 15 year old or whatever that one season but she's really not all the desirable.

Shannon Nutt 04-07-20 05:36 PM

I'm a little confused on what the Russians gain by keeping the black box information for themselves. I don't see how hostilities between Pakistan and the United States benefits Russia, unless they're planning to use it as a bargaining chip.

Also, hey Carrie - see that iPhone you're carrying around? It has a recorder in it. Record the black box message and email it to Saul. Problem solved. :lol:

mphtrilogy 04-10-20 12:56 PM

Just finished catching up, almost bailed, i kind of enjoyed the binge the past week, was 6 eps behind... I think it's been a fun last ride...

MrX 04-12-20 09:33 PM

:lol: at them acknowledging how easy it is to get on the airfireld.

i was fairly certain the troops that were captured last week were going to be the target, but once Jenna said she wanted to be there at the exchange it was a lock.

Bill Needle 04-13-20 12:51 AM

Damn, I thought they only did 10 episode seasons and this was the series finale. There are at least two more episodes of this nonsense left to get through in order to see it out.

Love the wandering in and out of "secure" locations like they are entering a recreational airport in the US. Also still holding out hope Carrie dies at the end...executed for treason would be my first choice.

MrX 04-13-20 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 13722607)
Also still holding out hope Carrie dies at the end...executed for treason would be my first choice.

Jenna should be President by that point so she'll pardon her.

mcnabb 04-13-20 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 13722607)
Love the wandering in and out of "secure" locations like they are entering a recreational airport in the US. .

This ^^^^^^^

Good lord, Carrie is going through the Middle East and through our US Military Bases like she is walking down 5th Avenue in NY deciding whether she is going Saks or catch a show that night. At this point, the Series Finale HAS to be ridiculous or it wouldn't be Homeland. She will probably walk into the Russian Embassy and snatch the Black Box undetected and be the Hero. Even James Bond would roll his eyes at these episodes. :lol:

Kal-El 04-13-20 03:11 PM

Loving all the Jenna love in this thread. Best addition this season.

Coral 04-13-20 03:46 PM

Another laughable episode.

Loved that the writers couldn't write a plausible scenario where Carrie's able to walk onto an airfield, so they'll just have a character acknowledge how ridiculous it was instead. The only thing missing was a glance to the audience.

Nice continuity error where the suicide-bomber no longer had the bomb trigger on his steering wheel. Even if the trigger was just out of view because the steering wheel turned, buddy totally had his right hand off the wheel/trigger while making the turn. :lol:

Bill Needle 04-13-20 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by mcnabb (Post 13722921)
Good lord, Carrie is going through the Middle East and through our US Military Bases like she is walking down 5th Avenue in NY deciding whether she is going Saks or catch a show that night. At this point, the Series Finale HAS to be ridiculous or it wouldn't be Homeland. She will probably walk into the Russian Embassy and snatch the Black Box undetected and be the Hero. Even James Bond would roll his eyes at these episodes. :lol:

It's not like she is wanted by the FBI for being a possible traitor and being implicated in the assassination of the POTUS or anything...

mcnabb 04-14-20 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 13723183)
It's not like she is wanted by the FBI for being a possible traitor and being implicated in the assassination of the POTUS or anything...

But she did say that she heard the black box recording (even though she was knocked out and it was stolen by a Russian in the process). I'm mean that's a believable story! :lol:

MrX 04-14-20 09:21 AM

My hope for the finale is Jenna turns out to actually be Dana Brody.

uteotw 04-14-20 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13722993)
Another laughable episode.

Loved that the writers couldn't write a plausible scenario where Carrie's able to walk onto an airfield, so they'll just have a character acknowledge how ridiculous it was instead. The only thing missing was a glance to the audience.

Nice continuity error where the suicide-bomber no longer had the bomb trigger on his steering wheel. Even if the trigger was just out of view because the steering wheel turned, buddy totally had his right hand off the wheel/trigger while making the turn. :lol:

Right. That and they are unloading on the car with everything they have, .50 cal. etc., and nothing/no one can even slow that car towards its target. Come on.

Bandoman 04-14-20 10:03 AM

Hey, I haven't read this thread, but this season seems completely believable and accurately portrays what might actually happen in such a scenario. You guys agree, right?

So. The Russkies want Carrie to find out who the mole is in the Kremlin. This is a perfect opportunity for Saul to discredit an adversary in the Kremlin who actually isn't a mole, Give Carrie a name, any name, and watch the fun commence.