TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lego Masters

Old 02-16-20, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 198 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: Lego Masters

Originally Posted by emachine12

Iím watching and it is almost lazy in itís effort. Arnett literally does the least for a host as do the judges. I thought Making It was soft in itís presentation. Man, I was wrong.
Making It wasn't exactly intense, but it was heartfelt and tried to avoid cruelty or mocking it's contestants. That's going to work for some people and not for others. It didn't really pull in the ratings the second time around, so I was surprised when NBC renewed it.
Old 02-17-20, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 313 Likes on 234 Posts

She had a proper exit, Arnett asked her if she had to go. She replied yes so he bid her goodbye.
Thanks, I missed that. There was some kind of cable glitch here in the Pittsburgh market that caused about 10 minutes in the middle to be missed, so it must have happened then.
Old 02-17-20, 07:57 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They had this same challenge in the Aussie version. Was my least favourite one. Just about any lego looks good getting destroyed in slow motion

The challenges will get better
Old 02-17-20, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Making It wasn't exactly intense, but it was heartfelt and tried to avoid cruelty or mocking it's contestants. That's going to work for some people and not for others. It didn't really pull in the ratings the second time around, so I was surprised when NBC renewed it.
But for me, Making Itís softness works in the showís favor. It is not exactly culinary art but the makers have to show talent.

Here, it feels off. Especially when they are given so much time to do a project and waste so much arguing or going around in circles.
Old 02-18-20, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But for me, Making Itís softness works in the showís favor. It is not exactly culinary art but the makers have to show talent.

Here, it feels off. Especially when they are given so much time to do a project and waste so much arguing or going around in circles.
That's where the team concept comes into play, -it's always creates Drama and it's a "go-to" for Reality Comps.
Old 02-22-20, 12:40 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

How much extra did the pay those cosplay models to show up in those outfits?
Old 02-22-20, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll chip in!

www.amiedd.com
Old 02-22-20, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Like Legos but not this show. The host thinks he's funny but isn't, and the judges come off really arrogant. The idea of contestants destroying their creations was just stupid, and the criteria was even dumber: the judges told one team too much of their model survived, then told another team not enough of their model survived... as if there's a right and wrong way to destroy a model. Cutting objects in half was a silly idea too. I don't see this show lasting very long.
Old 02-22-20, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F
How much extra did the pay those cosplay models to show up in those outfits?
I could guarantee those girls weren't getting taken off the show. I'm thinking, "what little ratings you have, those two are the reason!"
Old 02-22-20, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

I thought this last episode was much better as far as the actual Legos building went. There were some pretty inventive and cool looking things built. And some...not so much. But in the first few episodes it's almost as if the constraints of the task made the artistry and technique of using Legos almost incidental. I much preferred this week. It was an interesting task and allowed the creativity to flow.
Old 02-22-20, 03:52 PM
Premium Member

Received 656 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm starting to wonder if some of these people actually even build their creations or if it's all staged. We don't really see much of them building anything, just a couple of shots of brick placements here and there. Everything about this show feels kinda fake.
Old 02-22-20, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
I'm starting to wonder if some of these people actually even build their creations or if it's all staged. We don't really see much of them building anything, just a couple of shots of brick placements here and there. Everything about this show feels kinda fake.
Haha that is true, most of the actual building they show them doing (during the interviews and such) is beginner stuff I could do. Plus most of the contestants don't seem like they could tie their own shoes let alone build something complex from Legos.
Old 02-22-20, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 768 Likes on 643 Posts

Most reality programming is staged on some level.
Old 02-23-20, 09:39 AM
Banned

If you go and look at AmieDDís (clever name) Instagram there are absolutely zero references to LEGO before her appearances on the show. Her whole Instagram is based around her modeling.
Old 02-23-20, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

As a competition show, it needs to abide by the FCC's regulations regarding game shows. Producers likely sway judges' opinions to some point, but the show by law cannot be "fixed."
Old 02-23-20, 03:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GuessWho
As a competition show, it needs to abide by the FCC's regulations regarding game shows. Producers likely sway judges' opinions to some point, but the show by law cannot be "fixed."
They let each team put in 10 bricks and decide from there.
Old 02-23-20, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
If you go and look at AmieDDís (clever name) Instagram there are absolutely zero references to LEGO before her appearances on the show. Her whole Instagram is based around her modeling.
Which Amie are you looking at? Because Iím looking and there are legos in it... way before her appearance too.

https://www.amiedd.com/
Old 02-24-20, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Stalkers be stalking.
Old 02-24-20, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I guarantee those two brothers built the Pinata "truck." I think everyone in this thread could have built something cooler than that.
Old 02-24-20, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Well, I guarantee those two brothers built the Pinata "truck." I think everyone in this thread could have built something cooler than that.
A truck with no wheels. What were they thinking?
Old 02-25-20, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 169 Posts

The show is ok at best, but I do find Brickmaster Amy incredibly sexy.
Old 02-25-20, 11:53 AM
Banned

Which Amie are you looking at? Because Iím looking and there are legos in it... way before her appearance too.

https://www.amiedd.com/
You're right, I was looking at her site on my phone and didn't notice the Legos.

Gee, I wonder what the "DD" stands for in her name...
Old 02-26-20, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 894 Likes on 632 Posts

My family is enjoying it. It's just lighthearted fun. You guys are too cynical for a show like this. Like mentioned, it's closer to Making It than a true reality competition. Just a feel good show with people sharing their talent. Both are solid family shows, which seems to be rare these days. Will Arnett is good enough but some of the humor feels really forced.

The half and half challenge was the best one so far. There were some solid concepts in there and some really cool builds. The Clock Tower would have been 3rd or 4th down my list behind the Telescope, the Mermaid and the Kraken one. The "horse" power concept was flawed from the get go as my daughter pointed out that the pinata was a donkey. So I guess a broken down hooptie with no wheels was more appropriate in the long run. The previous two challenges showed they had some creativity but they dropped the ball on this one.

I think they need to incorporate smaller mini-builds like Making It. It would give more opportunities for everyone to show their skills before getting the boot. Also it'd be cool if they mixed up the teams to see if different people strengths and creativity could mesh with someone else than who they came with.
Old 02-27-20, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't blame Arnett, -he's just doing what they hired him to do, -but I do think a lot of the humor comes across as "trying too hard". I also thought "adding a twist mid-way", -a popular go-to on Reality Comps, -was somewhat cruel considering the complications of building these things. It was only there to screw up some fairly decent builds, -and it did, mostly (though I suppose that's what the producers wanted).
Old 02-27-20, 03:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DWilson
I don't blame Arnett, -he's just doing what they hired him to do, -but I do think a lot of the humor comes across as "trying too hard". I also thought "adding a twist mid-way", -a popular go-to on Reality Comps, -was somewhat cruel considering the complications of building these things. It was only there to screw up some fairly decent builds, -and it did, mostly (though I suppose that's what the producers wanted).
It's at least an 11 hour production. I bet he's off set most of the time doing other projects and every so often he comes in and makes a snide remark and then leaves again. Not bad for the money.

As far as this week’s episode, gee, I wonder who was going home? The only reason a lot of people watch the show or the two older Hispanic dudes?

Last edited by Eric F; 02-27-20 at 05:57 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.