DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Robert Conrad dead at 84 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/649815-robert-conrad-dead-84-a.html)

DJariya 02-08-20 05:25 PM

Robert Conrad dead at 84

https://tvline.com/2020/02/08/robert...d-age-84-dies/

Veteran TV actor Robert Conrad has died, at age 84.

“He lived a wonderfully long life and while the family is saddened by his passing, he will live forever in their hearts,” family spokesman Jeff Ballard said in a statement to People.com. No other details were immediately available.

Conrad’s long TV career began with one-shots on series such as Bat Masterson, Maverick and Lawman, before he co-starred opposite Anthony Eisley in the ABC detective series Hawaiian Eye, which ran for four seasons (from 1959-63). A few years later, he headed up The Wild Wild West, science fiction/Western series that ran on CBS for four seasons (and a long while later was turned into a big-budget feature flop by Will Smith).

Next up, Conrad played Major Greg “Pappy” Boyington on Baa Baa Black Sheep, while also costarring in NBC’s Centennial miniseries. His other of many TV credits included A Man Called Sloane, High Mountain Rangers, Jesse Hawkes and High Sierra Search and Rescue . Most recently, he guested on a 1999 episode of Just Shoot Me, though it appears he is in the can a guest spot on the upcoming Nash Bridges reboot.

Conrad was also, quite famously, a fixture on the Battle of the Network Stars internetwork competition series, often serving as a most intimidating team captain, building off of his reputation as a pitchman for Eveready, where in a series of commercials he dared ya to knock the battery off his shoulder.

Goldberg74 02-08-20 05:34 PM

Re: Robert Conrad dead at 84

I grew up watching his stuff with my dad. Loved "Wild Wild West"... the TV Series.

Bill Needle 02-08-20 05:51 PM

I always thought of him as the male version of Tony Curtis. I do think some of his tough guy schtick was short man's syndrome.

He was always great on the Battle of the Network Stars shows.

Jack Straw 02-09-20 01:53 PM

"Go on. Try to knock this DD battery off my shoulder. I dare you."

Trevor 02-09-20 02:35 PM

I was too young for his initial stardom, but remember loving him in Baa Baa Black Sheep. And thanks for mentioning Battle of the Network Stars. I had forgotten all about those, but fondly remember the shows and him in them.

Bill Needle 02-09-20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 13685159)
And thanks for mentioning Battle of the Network Stars. I had forgotten all about those, but fondly remember the shows and him in them.

They were a lot of fun, wondering could this be the year he (Conrad) gets into a fistfight with Gabe Kaplan? Not too mention (as an SNL paraody put it) enjoying some of television's biggest "T's" and the nicest "A's".

Double_Oh_7 02-10-20 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 13684855)
I always thought of him as the male version of Tony Curtis.

:scratch2: I thought Tony Curtis was the male version of Tony Curtis.

Double_Oh_7 02-10-20 09:41 AM

Paff 02-10-20 12:02 PM

He was definitely a reality show villain long before there were reality shows.

This is the TV thread, but I liked his performance in The Lady in Red as John Dillinger. Great movie, if you've never seen it. Pretty solid cast for a Corman exploitation flick, with Oscar winner Louise Fletcher, and also Christopher Lloyd (as a REALLY bad guy, try to imagine that) and an uncredited Robert Forster. Plus it hits all the buttons of a 70s exploitation movie, with a women-in-prison segment, a bank heist, lots more. Plus Mary Woronov and Dick Miller, so that you know it's a Corman movie.

will travel 02-13-20 01:31 AM

ALOHA! Robert Conrad, Rest In Peace!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...b3af737f0c.jpg

Decker 02-13-20 01:42 AM

My friend bought his house in Thousand Oaks. It was a really sweet house.

Count Dooku 02-18-20 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 13684850)
I grew up watching his stuff with my dad. Loved "Wild Wild West"... the TV Series.

I watched WWW reruns growing up. West was my second favorite 60s Jim on TV, after Kirk of course. RIP

mrhan 02-18-20 08:06 AM

I was already into martial arts at when I was 7 in 1972 that's when I started watching reruns of Wild Wild West. In the original B&W version he was doing a lot; not so much in the colored version. I didn't know he was a real martial artist until years later. Was he the first to actually do martial arts on TV? I never looked it up.