DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   9-1-1: Lone Star (FOX) -- starring Rob Lowe, Liv Tyler (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/649664-9-1-1-lone-star-fox-starring-rob-lowe-liv-tyler.html)

barelypure 01-20-20 09:17 AM

9-1-1: Lone Star (FOX) -- starring Rob Lowe, Liv Tyler

Watched the Pilot last night. Decent cast but how will it compare to 911 time will tell. Not much in the comedy category like 911. It does check off a lot of boxes if anyone is keeping score.
Redneck - check
Drug abuser - check
Mixed race couple - check
Gay couple - check
Trans person - check
Muslim - check
Cancer victim - check
Sexual tension between main characters - check
Guys walking around without shirts for sexual appeal - check
I'm sure I missed some boxes but for the 1st episode they did well in trying to appeal to the widest possible audience.

E Unit 01-20-20 09:39 AM

re: 9-1-1: Lone Star (FOX) -- starring Rob Lowe, Liv Tyler

Not filmed in Austin or anywhere in Texas - check

barelypure 01-20-20 10:08 AM

I wasn't aware of that. Apparently they went to Austin and filmed some location scenes but the show is filmed in LA.

E Unit 01-20-20 10:13 AM

I didn’t see a single scene other than the capital that was Austin. Found it really amusing.

DJariya 01-20-20 10:58 AM

Its split between Los Angeles and Austin.

https://heavy.com/entertainment/2020...-location/amp/

emachine12 01-20-20 02:14 PM

The opening was shot near me at Perris, CA. The Press Enterprise wrote about TV shooting for this show and now I know what it was for. I like that it took place at night so you couldn’t see the Inland Empire desert.

E Unit 01-20-20 07:34 PM

Here’s an amusing article that pretty much pokes fun at this being set in Austin. And it’s all true.

https://www.austin360.com/entertainm...and-we-love-it

Count Dooku 01-20-20 09:30 PM

Just a coincidence that Rob Lowe and Peter Krause are both Sorkin vets

mike7162 01-20-20 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by barelypure (Post 13673861)
Watched the Pilot last night. Decent cast but how will it compare to 911 time will tell. Not much in the comedy category like 911. It does check off a lot of boxes if anyone is keeping score.
Redneck - check
Drug abuser - check
Mixed race couple - check
Gay couple - check
Trans person - check
Muslim - check
Cancer victim - check
Sexual tension between main characters - check
Guys walking around without shirts for sexual appeal - check
I'm sure I missed some boxes but for the 1st episode they did well in trying to appeal to the widest possible audience.

Don't forget the badass chick who's also hot, commits reckless and unprofessional acts, but is never called out on them because, you know, the patriarchy - check

chowderhead 01-22-20 12:25 AM

I never watched 911 and I thought I would give this a try because I like Rob Lowe in almost everything he does Park and Rec, West Wing, the Grinder, you me and the Apocalypse, etc . Him at the Niners/Packer's game with the NFL cap was hilarious.
But wow, Liv Tyler is so stiff and wooden. They did not have any chemistry together because she is so bland. This is definitely a Ryan Murphy show because everything about the characters felt so unnatural and forced. The diversity is great but it felt so forced and ironically, the Liv Tyler's character and story with the Hispanic family felt so condescending with the white knight to the rescue. I can't with the show.

SteveA 01-22-20 09:17 AM

Re: 9-1-1: Lone Star (FOX) -- starring Rob Lowe, Liv Tyler

I'll keep watching for a while, but IMO this isn't as good as the original 9-1-1. The inclusiveness (gay, trans, different races) all feels forced, unlike the original. And Rob Lowe's fetish for skin and hair care is just wacko off-the-wall.

Quatermass 01-22-20 10:17 AM

Re: 9-1-1: Lone Star (FOX) -- starring Rob Lowe, Liv Tyler

Originally Posted by SteveA (Post 13675180)
I'll keep watching for a while, but IMO this isn't as good as the original 9-1-1. The inclusiveness (gay, trans, different races) all feels forced, unlike the original. And Rob Lowe's fetish for skin and hair care is just wacko off-the-wall.

Originally Posted by chowderhead (Post 13675056)
I like Rob Lowe in almost everything he does Park and Rec, West Wing, the Grinder, you me and the Apocalypse, etc . Him at the Niners/Packer's game with the NFL cap was hilarious.
But wow, Liv Tyler is so stiff and wooden. They did not have any chemistry together because she is so bland. This is definitely a Ryan Murphy show because everything about the characters felt so unnatural and forced. The diversity is great but it felt so forced and ironically, the Liv Tyler's character and story with the Hispanic family felt so condescending with the white knight to the rescue. I can't with the show.

These sum up my opinion too. In case anyone missed the 2 Pilot episodes, they are on again tonight back-to-back.