DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Little Fires Everywhere (Hulu) - S: Reese Witherspoon, Kerry Washington -- premieres 3/18/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/649640-little-fires-everywhere-hulu-s-reese-witherspoon-kerry-washington-premieres-3-18-20-a.html)

dex14 01-17-20 12:09 PM

Little Fires Everywhere (Hulu) - S: Reese Witherspoon, Kerry Washington -- premieres 3/18/20

Based on Celeste Ng’s 2017 bestseller, Little Fires Everywhere follows the intertwined fates of the picture-perfect Richardson family and an enigmatic mother and daughter who upend their lives. The story explores the weight of secrets, the nature of art and identity, the ferocious pull of motherhood – and the danger in believing that following the rules can avert disaster.

Reese Witherspoon and Joshua Jackson (The Affair) head up the “picture-perfect Richardson family,” while Kerry Washington (Scandal) and Lexi Underwood (Family Reunion) play the aforementioned “enigmatic mother and daughter who upend their lives.” The limited series’ cast also includes Rosemarie DeWitt (United States of Tara), Geoff Stults (Enlisted), Jaime Ray Newman (Bates Motel), Britt Robertson (For the People) and Jesse Williams (Grey’s Anatomy), among others.

Little Fires Everywhere, which boasts Liz Tigelaar (Casual) as showrunner, premieres on Wednesday, March 18.

RichC2 01-17-20 01:01 PM

re: Little Fires Everywhere (Hulu) - S: Reese Witherspoon, Kerry Washington -- premieres 3/18/20

Man, Witherspoon has really gone for it with TV shows lately.

dex14 01-17-20 01:11 PM

re: Little Fires Everywhere (Hulu) - S: Reese Witherspoon, Kerry Washington -- premieres 3/18/20

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13672660)
Man, Witherspoon has really gone for it with TV shows lately.

And produces them all. She's really carved out a nice career.

RichC2 01-17-20 01:15 PM

No doubt. She gets to stay local with her family, gets paid $2m an episode, and gets to tell basically whatever stories she wants to. All very smart.

And only occasionally gets told by David Fincher that "You can't be the lead of Gone Girl." :lol:

dex14 01-17-20 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13672668)
And only occasionally gets told by David Fincher that "You can't be the lead of Gone Girl." :lol:

I give her even more props for that. As a producer, she could've said kick rocks, but she let him have his way.

Decker 01-17-20 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13672683)
I give her even more props for that. As a producer, she could've said kick rocks, but she let him have his way.

In Gone Girl, Big Little Lies and Wild, Reese has shown a real knack for finding strong books with female leads that are well adapted into film and TV. She's got a good eye for stuff.

dex14 01-17-20 04:43 PM

Most definitely. I never used to care much for her. But ever since Mud and Wild I’ve been all about her.

DJariya 01-17-20 09:23 PM

It looks pretty decent. I'll check it out. Reese and Kerry are a good enough draw. Amazed that Reese has found the time to film 3 premium TV shows in the last year. As you've all said, she's really found a niche for herself, especially as producer too.

She's also Executive Producer of Truth Be Told on Apple TV + that has Octavia Spencer. But, I guess that one hasn't caught on yet.

dex14 02-24-20 11:37 AM

dex14 03-17-20 09:22 PM

Re: Little Fires Everywhere (Hulu) - S: Reese Witherspoon, Kerry Washington -- premieres 3/18/20

The first 3 episodes are now up.

Daytripper 03-17-20 09:53 PM

Re: Little Fires Everywhere (Hulu) - S: Reese Witherspoon, Kerry Washington -- premieres 3/18/20

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13672776)
Most definitely. I never used to care much for her. But ever since Mud and Wild I’ve been all about her.

I first got to know Reese from "Pleasantville" and thought she was pretty good in that. I hated "Cruel Intentions" but she fell in love with her after I saw "Election". Didn't really care for any of her work after that until "Walk the Line". But like you, she really rebounded for me in "Mud" and "Wild".

writer106 03-24-20 11:54 PM

I read the book a few months back and so far I'm enjoying how the adaptation has panned out in the first three episodes.

The Questyen 03-28-20 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by writer106 (Post 13711524)
I read the book a few months back and so far I'm enjoying how the adaptation has panned out in the first three episodes.

That's funny I just came here to say the exact opposite. All the character development that happens in the book has been completely missing from the first 3 episodes. Mia and Pearl are the two most interesting characters in the book and here Mia is completely unlikable and Pearl has zero personality. My wife who read the book also was ready to be out after the first episode but we stuck through the first three and now I'm done also.

dex14 04-15-20 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13713651)
That's funny I just came here to say the exact opposite. All the character development that happens in the book has been completely missing from the first 3 episodes. Mia and Pearl are the two most interesting characters in the book and here Mia is completely unlikable and Pearl has zero personality. My wife who read the book also was ready to be out after the first episode but we stuck through the first three and now I'm done also.

I know you said you’re done, but I’d be curious to know if the character development you said the show was lacking was covered in the episode that was all flashback.

I’m liking it overall, but Reese’s character seems too similar to her BLL character.

hdtv00 04-15-20 07:41 AM

Yea I can't stand Mia at all. Want to stop watching the show completely because of her. She's a ****.

dex14 04-15-20 08:14 AM

Eh... after this week’s Elena is worse.

Timber 04-15-20 11:47 AM

Is there a likable character on this show? Mia is one of the most unlikable characters I've ever seen in a TV show lead and Elena isn't far behind. The kids are...at least Izzy is compelling.

Nefarious 04-15-20 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 13724189)
Is there a likable character on this show? Mia is one of the most unlikable characters I've ever seen in a TV show lead and Elena isn't far behind. The kids are...at least Izzy is compelling.

That's what I told my wife. I don't like any of the the characters outside of having some empathy for Moody and Izzy. The story is good and does well at juxtaposing opposing views.

Timber 04-23-20 06:14 AM

Am I supposed to feel for a mother that left her baby on steps of a firehouse then went back a year later to steal her from the parents that were raising her?

Ugh this show was so horribly frustrating.

Nefarious 04-23-20 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 13728590)
Am I supposed to feel for a mother that left her baby on steps of a firehouse then went back a year later to steal her from the parents that were raising her?

Ugh this show was so horribly frustrating.

I agree that it felt like they shorted that and relied too heavily on the idea that the child belonged with the birth mother. A few more minutes of montage scenes showing her struggling and seemingly even a single scene of her looking for her or going back to try and find out what happened. The fact is, if Mia hadn't inserted herself into the situation, Bebe would not have found her because she wasn't even looking. Show her hitting a few agencies trying to track her down.

Overall the series was good, not great. I felt like it tackled a lot of socio-economic, race, privilege, gender, and other issues in an interesting way. It was often uncomfortable to watch but I do feel it could have been better.