Reload this Page >

Survivor Season 40 Winners at War -- premieres 2/12/20

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor Season 40 Winners at War -- premieres 2/12/20

Old 04-02-20, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Survivor Season 40 Winners at War -- premieres 2/12/20

Any word from CBS yet on how they're going to handle the finale/live reunion? Just have everyone at home with webcams?
Old 04-02-20, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 328 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Any word from CBS yet on how they're going to handle the finale/live reunion? Just have everyone at home with webcams?
That's what I assume will happen, though it's over a month away. It's conceivable that they might be able to do a proper reunion without a Studio audience by then. I wouldn't bet on it though.
Old 04-09-20, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

As farcical as the show has become over the number of trinkets sprinkled into the game it would have been pretty epic if that thing on the podium really had been a HII.
Old 04-09-20, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
As farcical as the show has become over the number of trinkets sprinkled into the game it would have been pretty epic if that thing on the podium really had been a HII.
That look on Jeff's face as Adam struggled to remove it, then when he asked him if he would like to use the podium as a HII on himself

I really regret not watching the season where Adam won because I have no idea how that could have ever happened. He seems totally clueless, and while he might have been voted out anyways, he really cooked his own goose at Tribal. I wonder if he was the intended vote - there was a lot of scrambling and whispers going on there for the plans to remain unchanged.
Old 04-09-20, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The producers are probably upset that they didn't think of actually hiding an idol there. That was some great entertainment though. Jeff asking him if he wanted to play the podium

Kind of a fitting way for Adam to go out though. I think he was wrong on just about everything this season, so going out being wrong once more was fitting.
Old 04-09-20, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I really regret not watching the season where Adam won because I have no idea how that could have ever happened. He seems totally clueless, and while he might have been voted out anyways, he really cooked his own goose at Tribal. I wonder if he was the intended vote - there was a lot of scrambling and whispers going on there for the plans to remain unchanged.
I watched his season ... and remember hardly anything about it. As is the case for many recent seasons, at least after a few months have passed. I hope that's more reflective of the quality of the seasons, and not my deteriorating brain I have a feeling he played an under-the-radar game. Or in Tony's words, a "hyena" game.

Props to Adam for taking full responsibility, admitting he just didn't play a good game this time. And yes ... having an idol hidden in plain sight at tribal would've been hilarious, and I know producers are kicking themselves over not thinking of it.
Old 04-09-20, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
I watched his season ... and remember hardly anything about it. As is the case for many recent seasons, at least after a few months have passed. I hope that's more reflective of the quality of the seasons, and not my deteriorating brain I have a feeling he played an under-the-radar game. Or in Tony's words, a "hyena" game.

Props to Adam for taking full responsibility, admitting he just didn't play a good game this time. And yes ... having an idol hidden in plain sight at tribal would've been hilarious, and I know producers are kicking themselves over not thinking of it.
His season was actually a pretty good season full of memorable cast members: Zeke, Michaela, Football Chris, Brett, David (who just played again), Hannah, Model Ken, and Jay, who is now on the MTV challenge. Adam played a great game and won unanimously.
Old 04-10-20, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Purely a guess but I got a strong vibe that Tony is going to win this thing.
Old 04-10-20, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Wolf359 View Post
Yeah he does seem like a guy who is just keeping his powder dry for now. Unlike the other 'hyenas' he can open up some hard core game play at any time.
Old 04-10-20, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Wolf359 View Post
He's entertaining as heck, but he doesn't have any sort of a resume yet. To me the front runners are Sophie and Jeremy.
Old 04-13-20, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Finale and virtual reunion on May 13. Even better, Amazing Race debut May 20.

https://tvweb.com/survivor-season-40...-cast-reunion/
Old 04-15-20, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow that was an interesting episode. The massive Family reunion was cool. Thought it might make the episode too treacley and boring (and it CERTAINLY went on too long), but it was sweet. And I had to chuckle at the sight of Sophie frantically running off with her fiancť to presumably bone in the bushes. Having a family reunion on Edge was pretty surprising but sweet. These are the legends so it was nice for them to get that treat. Rob and Amberís kids are very cute. If you watched the very end of the episode, the Jury mobbed and hugged Jeff to thank him for that.
The tribal was wild. What a great use of Steal a Vote. I had forgotten that Sarah had that (great editing to let us forget that was still in play). She is playing a really good game.
Old 04-16-20, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe I'm heartless, but I'm not a fan of the family visit episodes; this one was particularly cloying.
Old 04-16-20, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Iím still fuzzy on the Tribal vote. Four votes for Sophie should still have been enough if the group of four ( plus one stolen vote) split their vote between Denise and Tyson.
Old 04-16-20, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iím still fuzzy on the Tribal vote. Four votes for Sophie should still have been enough if the group of four ( plus one stolen vote) split their vote between Denise and Tyson.
They only put two votes on Denise, so yeah it was a pretty pointless split since it wouldn't have protected them from a correctly played idol.

I watched the video on CBS of the votes and Sophie was one of the Denise votes and she had a blank look on her face and kind of shook her head, so I'm guessing in their huddle somebody was insistent on splitting with the extra vote and she knew it wasn't going to help but she didn't want to argue it ...that's reading a lot into a couple seconds of a look on a face but it makes sense with how frenzied it probably was there.
Old 04-16-20, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michelle also flipped and voted Tyson, not sure when she was able to know that's who they were voting for or she guessed right

Ben - Tyson
Michelle - Tyson
Nick - Tyson
Tony - Tyson
Sarah - Tyson

Sarah - Denise
Sophie - Denise

Kim - Sophie
Tyson - Sophie

Denise - stolen
Jeremy - left

edit - Looking at it now out like that, the two Denise votes did matter if the idol was played for Tyson, but I'm not sure how Michelle fits in since they left her out of the pow wow right before the vote

Last edited by Brian Gentz; 04-16-20 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-16-20, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
Maybe I'm heartless, but I'm not a fan of the family visit episodes; this one was particularly cloying.
I FF'd right to the end of the immunity competition. Total time to watch the entire episode was maybe 15 minutes.

They have been separated for less than four weeks, and it is to play a game for $2 million. I've seen so much longer, for so much worse.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (04-17-20)
Old 04-16-20, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz View Post
They only put two votes on Denise, so yeah it was a pretty pointless split since it wouldn't have protected them from a correctly played idol.

I watched the video on CBS of the votes and Sophie was one of the Denise votes and she had a blank look on her face and kind of shook her head, so I'm guessing in their huddle somebody was insistent on splitting with the extra vote and she knew it wasn't going to help but she didn't want to argue it ...that's reading a lot into a couple seconds of a look on a face but it makes sense with how frenzied it probably was there.
Originally Posted by Brian Gentz View Post
Michelle also flipped and voted Tyson, not sure when she was able to know that's who they were voting for or she guessed right

Ben - Tyson
Michelle - Tyson
Nick - Tyson
Tony - Tyson
Sarah - Tyson

Sarah - Denise
Sophie - Denise

Kim - Sophie
Tyson - Sophie

Denise - stolen
Jeremy - left

edit - Looking at it now out like that, the two Denise votes did matter if the idol was played for Tyson, but I'm not sure how Michelle fits in since they left her out of the pow wow right before the vote
Okay so I have thought this through : Sarah wasn't wrong in using the Steal A Vote, but they didn't execute it correctly. She took a 5 (Sarah, Sophie, Ben, Nick, Tony)-to- 4 (Denise, Kim, Michelle, Tyson) advantage and turned it into a 6-to-3 one. That would have allowed the majority to be Immunity Idol proof because if one was played correctly for the minority group, it would have still been a 3-3 tie among the others getting votes, and that tie would be broken on a revote. I think Michelle realized that, and based on at least on the scuttlebutt about camp (and maybe on what she heard whispered during the scramble), she switched up the vote and threw her vote to Tyson, ensuring her (or Denise's) safety by avoiding a three way tie. Why Kim chose to play her idol for Denise is less clear. As I noted, doing what Michelle did was a smarter, safer way of achieving the same result. She smartly didn't play it for herself on that dangerous vote where Denise played her two idols for herself and Jeremy and Sandra got removed, seems like a dumb time to play it now.
As far as why the group of five didn't evenly split their newly-acquired 6 votes, that is harder to explain. Just bad thinking because of fatigue and the fact that it just happened unexpectedly, I guess. I still don't really understand why Sarah decided to use the Steal A Vote advantage when she already had a majority without realizing how to use it correctly.
Old 04-16-20, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

In the weekly Q&A with Probst, he revealed a scene that wasn't shown recently. Too bad, because it would have been fantastic.

One of my favorite moments involved a role reversal between me and the players. It happened at the start of an immunity challenge. I took back the two pieces of the tribe immunity idol, and walked back to the pedestal to say, “Once again, immunity is up for grabs!” But I couldn’t get the pieces back together properly. I kept trying different versions, but they wouldn’t line up. The players immediately started mocking me! “Probst is reallllllllly struggling. Puzzles are not his thing! You need to pick it UP!!! This is when you have to dig deep!” It was a really funny moment of payback, but as we had to trim the episode for time, ultimately the bigger story of the two million dollar game won out.
Old 04-16-20, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Haha that would have been great.

What was the deal with the exiles swarming him post eviction?
Old 04-16-20, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post

What was the deal with the exiles swarming him post eviction?
Mobbing him to thank him for allowing a Loved Ones visit to Edge of Extinction.
Old 04-16-20, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually thought that might have been it. Just wondering if I missed something more obvious during my 40 minutes of FF'ing.
Old 04-16-20, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
I like the family visits... even more than the competitions. I liked that they included kids this time and that the exiled got to visit their families too.
Old 04-16-20, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

They probably had to make travel arrangements for everyone in the cast since they wouldn't be sure who would be returning from EoE. So it would have sucked to send the families of those on EoE home after they came all that way. I wonder if anyone came for Sandra.
Old 04-16-20, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by windom View Post
They probably had to make travel arrangements for everyone in the cast since they wouldn't be sure who would be returning from EoE. So it would have sucked to send the families of those on EoE home after they came all that way. I wonder if anyone came for Sandra.
From the EW show recap :

Unfortunately, one person who was not a part of that communal love fest was Tyson, who was just voted out. And Tyson could be the one the players should be thanking just as much as Probst. The Blood vs. Water champ told me out in Fiji before the game began that when he was first approached about appearing again, one of his main conditions to consider it was that his daughter Bergen be allowed to visit him. He pushed for weeks for it to happen, and then later all the cast members got an email saying that kids would be allowed on the Loved Ones visit. Sure, itís possible other players may have pushed for it as well, but it was a make or break condition for Tyson and may be a good part of the reason we were treated to all these moments.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.