TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor Season 40 Winners at War -- premieres 2/12/20

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-20, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: Survivor Season 40 Winners at War -- premieres 2/12/20

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Like I said when I first brought it up. It would be hard to do this season without him, but I'm just tired of him.
I wish he and Sandra hadn't been used last season. Island of the Idols was a dumb concept to begin with and it would have made his inclusion in this season feel more fresh. Sandra too for that matter.
Old 02-15-20, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Ooooh, the Robfather is going to be piiiiiiisssssssed.
Old 02-15-20, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sandra's kind of a hypocrite. She's hurt that Rob never told her he was coming back; did SHE tell HIM?
Old 02-16-20, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How dumb are these other players for not getting rid of Rob? They know the longer he stays in the game the more dangerous he gets. Vote him out first and be done with him
Old 02-16-20, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
How dumb are these other players for not getting rid of Rob? They know the longer he stays in the game the more dangerous he gets. Vote him out first and be done with him
And you could say the same of Sandra (and she's not of any help in challenges, unless it's a "throwing shade" competition). And, of course, she has an idol now.
Old 02-17-20, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I'd keep Rob around. I'd vote Sandra every single tribal council. She's far more of a "back stabber" than Rob has been.
Old 02-18-20, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Over my years of watching Survivor, I've always found myself rooting for the more analytical players over the "hustlers". I think that is one of the reasons why I was glad to see Yul back as he is one of the more analytical minds to ever play Survivor. In case anyone is interested he broke down his episode one strategy. I did notice that the thing with Kim at the end, and I wondered if that is what it was.

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr55eu
Old 02-19-20, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked Danni in Guatemala, but it was pretty clear in these two episodes that she never really got her bearings in this game. I don't why they didn't just vote out Parvati though; they had the votes to do it.
Old 02-20-20, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If Survivor has taught us anything, it's that the tribe is more likely to vote out someone that drives the majority of them crazy than someone they should strategically get rid of...especially this early in the game.
Old 02-20-20, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 236 Posts

Really surprised at Danni's panic in last night's episode. And the mistake she made bringing up the old school/new school approach in front of Ben.
Old 02-20-20, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Danni was both Jeff Probst and EW's resident superfan Dalton Ross's pre-game pick to win the season. Of course, she still could … but I really don't see this bunch going with someone from Redemption Island.
Old 02-20-20, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Yeah Danni pretty much talked her way straight to EoE.

Oh, and yay! for more trinkets being dropped into laps - a mere five this episode. Two weeks in and about a third of the contestants already have at least one bauble dangling from their key chain.
Old 02-20-20, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's strange because Danni handled being on the down side of the numbers masterfully her first time. It was one of the best comeback wins in Survivor history. This time things are so fluid that I'm not even sure she was ever on the downside of the numbers until she talked her way there. We only see the edit, but she just seemed overwhelmed.
Old 02-21-20, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Oh, and yay! for more trinkets being dropped into laps - a mere five this episode. Two weeks in and about a third of the contestants already have at least one bauble dangling from their key chain.
When week one had an immunity idol “purchased” with the help of Extinction Island I thought that was good. That the show got rid of the idol hunting aspect of the game, making both relationships with players voted off and game play on EI more important. The episode 2 brought me back to earth and now 6 players have part or all of a HII

Im finding myself pulling more for the “old school” players over the “new school”. I don’t know if it’s me, the players, or the show, but those “old school” seasons are much stronger in my memory. Even though I’ve watched pretty much every season (I only intentionally skipped the one they invited the repulsive Colton back), many newer seasons have made little lasting impressions.
Old 02-21-20, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

It's strange because Danni handled being on the down side of the numbers masterfully her first time. It was one of the best comeback wins in Survivor history. This time things are so fluid that I'm not even sure she was ever on the downside of the numbers until she talked her way there. We only see the edit, but she just seemed overwhelmed.
Yep, I had her in the game here, and it was an epic run. And I agree that this time she seemed OK until suddenly she wasn’t.

Originally Posted by brainee
When week one had an immunity idol “purchased” with the help of Extinction Island I thought that was good. That the show got rid of the idol hunting aspect of the game, making both relationships with players voted off and game play on EI more important. The episode 2 brought me back to earth and now 6 players have part or all of a HII

Im finding myself pulling more for the “old school” players over the “new school”. I don’t know if it’s me, the players, or the show, but those “old school” seasons are much stronger in my memory. Even though I’ve watched pretty much every season (I only intentionally skipped the one they invited the repulsive Colton back), many newer seasons have made little lasting impressions.
I commented in the game thread that I was a lot more invested in the earlier seasons. I’ve still been watching, but I barely remember some of the newer winners.
Old 02-22-20, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Why aren't the other players targeting Rob and Sandra? They know they're both good players, and the fact that Sandra's the only player who's won twice should be enough for them to vote her out right away.
Old 02-22-20, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Why aren't the other players targeting Rob and Sandra? They know they're both good players, and the fact that Sandra's the only player who's won twice should be enough for them to vote her out right away.
She's a good person to take into the merge. I would assume they don't target her before that.
Old 02-23-20, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrauss
She's a good person to take into the merge. I would assume they don't target her before that.
Was that the strategy her opponents used the second time she ended up winning? I don't remember how it all went down.
Old 02-23-20, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Was that the strategy her opponents used the second time she ended up winning? I don't remember how it all went down.
She got dragged to the end by Russell and everyone hated Russell.
Old 02-24-20, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

No doubt that he was the dominant player that year, but he did so at least in part by burning down pre-existing personal relationships to the point where there was almost no chance he could win. And there was a far greater chance that Amber would have dumped him after the show then there was of them getting married and having four kids. Kudos to them for making it work, but I just don't think that anyone could or should have been relying on that. Rob was playing for himself to win.

Like I said when I first brought it up. It would be hard to do this season without him, but I'm just tired of him.
Didn't he do the same thing in Redemption Island? He's a master at making everyone want to be his friend and then destroying that friendship to get ahead. Most notably was Grant who considered him a bro so much that he gave his reward to Rob and then the guy wouldn't even speak to Rob at the reunion. Yet Rob still won. I have a sick feeling that Rob will end up winning this thing, and Probst will be all giddy.
Old 02-24-20, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Different scenarios. In All-Stars he played on real-life friendships he had outside of the game. In Redemption Island, he learned his lesson about giving people another option and brought players no one would ever vote for to the final (in fairness to Natalie, she was just super young and naive). That way it doesn't matter how mad people are at you, you're still the best choice. This strategy was brilliantly executed by Brian Heidik in Season 5. Heidik...a great player who will never ever return.
Old 02-26-20, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't understand. If you want to put Adam in his place and weaken Rob, then you could just....I don't know...vote out Rob. Ethan was a nothing target just happy to be there.
Old 02-27-20, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sandra seems to sit out every challenge (when a player needs to sit out). Yet she's considered one of the "greats."
Old 02-27-20, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Sandra seems to sit out every challenge (when a player needs to sit out). Yet she's considered one of the "greats."
There was an article on this a couple weeks ago. She's closing in on the sit out record, but she's still second to the Bitchy Baby Doll. To be fair, Courtney only played twice, and this is Sandra's fourth time.
Old 02-28-20, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

That was the recurring theme (at least pre-merge) of the Heroes vs Villains season. When Jeff asks who's sitting out the challenge:

Isn't there the rule where the same person can't sit out back-to-back challenges? Did Sandra sit out the last challenge too?

I hope the other tribe goes to tribal council next time. The last two episodes have been too heavy on Adam scheming for my liking.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.