Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez (Netflix docuseries) -- premieres 1/15/20

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez (Netflix docuseries) -- premieres 1/15/20

Old 01-14-20, 10:22 AM

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez is a three-part documentary series examining what led to the murderous fall and shocking death of former NFL superstar Aaron Hernandez. Premieres January 15 ‬
Old 01-14-20, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez (Netflix docuseries) -- premieres 1/15/20

Interesting that this warranted a series/doc. The guy was a thug since day 1; it only came as a "surprise" because Florida swept all his shit under a rug before he reached the NFL.

Might be insensitive of me but who cares at all about him? Had every opportunity yet still wanted to act tough and kill people. Needless to say, I won't be watching this.
Old 01-14-20, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez (Netflix docuseries) -- premieres 1/15/20

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Might be insensitive of me but who cares at all about him?
The entire NFL? Anyone who watches football? According to what I've read, Hernandez had one of the worst cases of CTE on record. He could have been a thug before he got hit in the head a thousand times. But was he a born murderer, or did football make him one?

Before you laugh, look at Antonio Brown. The guy needs a doctor, badly. His shit was funny at first, but now he's legit crazy and needs help before he kills his baby momma... or flings himself off a bridge... or burns down his house with himself and his kids inside... or something.
Old 01-14-20, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
The entire NFL? Anyone who watches football? According to what I've read, Hernandez had one of the worst cases of CTE on record. He could have been a thug before he got hit in the head a thousand times. But was he a born murderer, or did football make him one?
I can promise you at least fans of the Patriots don't care at all. Also per the report he had one of the worst CTE cases of someone his age which basically means not as bad as the older players who have been tested post-mortum.

If football did "make him a murderer" it certainly happened quick because he was most likely the shooter in a Florida murder that happened when he was 17 and just joined Florida.
Old 01-14-20, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be watching this. A local sports talk show had the director and executive producer on for an interview today, and it was pretty interesting.
Old 01-14-20, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll probably watch this. It's fascinating to me personally, all the little details and man-child mentality and an obvious detachment from reality. It's pretty obvious that if CTE contributed to his condition, it occured while he was still growing up.
Old 01-14-20, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oxygen channel did a good documentary on this case already, which was very thorough.

https://www.oxygen.com/aaron-hernandez-uncovered
Old 01-17-20, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Just finished this - thought it was distracting that the time line kept jumping, I think it would have been better if they did it in a linear fashion like the 'Don't F*ck with Cats' documentary. Apparently, this was the same team that did 'Evil Genius' so it was a bit of a disappointment.
Old 01-17-20, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reelz and ID have their own docs on him too this week.

OJ is a has-been.

Hernandez is the new "It" Murderer.
Old 01-17-20, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished it last night. Sounds like CTE was a huge factor into turning him into a murderer. Kinda scary to think about.
Old 01-17-20, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
Finished it last night. Sounds like CTE was a huge factor into turning him into a murderer. Kinda scary to think about.
If that's the impression the doc gave, then I'm glad I didn't watch it. Did CTE make him post this picture with a gun when he was like 19 and playing college ball? Or the fact that he was a member of a gang in HS?

Old 01-17-20, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I haven’t watched it yet. How long are the episodes? I’m intrigued, but not willing to sink much time into this.

I will agree it seems pretty agenda-driven to think CTE and football were the cause when he was a shitbag well before. Does the documentary look into the sense of entitlement in athletic cultures, the “protection” the system provides athletes, or the impact of sudden overnight wealth?
Old 01-17-20, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If we're going to assume that someone can get CTE as early as HS and that CTE can flip some trigger and make someone a murderer for having a drink spilled on them, then we really have to shut down football as a whole, right?
Old 01-17-20, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post

Before you laugh, look at Antonio Brown. The guy needs a doctor, badly. His shit was funny at first, but now he's legit crazy and needs help before he kills his baby momma... or flings himself off a bridge... or burns down his house with himself and his kids inside... or something.
Killing people and doing Instagram live from the locker room aren't comparable.
Old 01-17-20, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If that is the direction the doc went that is sickening. I don't care one fuck about this dirtbag. Sad for those he killed. CTE didn't turn him into a killer for fucks sake.

If we're going to assume that someone can get CTE as early as HS and that CTE can flip some trigger and make someone a murderer for having a drink spilled on them, then we really have to shut down football as a whole, right?
Everything-hockey, soccer, baseball, Pro Wresting. etc..
​​​​​​​
Old 01-17-20, 01:32 PM
Political Exile

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
If that is the direction the doc went that is sickening. I don't care one fuck about this dirtbag. Sad for those he killed. CTE didn't turn him into a killer for fucks sake.
You mean except for the reports that have shown that CTE can turn you into a killer? I'm not saying that happened here for sure, haven't watched it, but to act like that's impossible...?
Old 01-17-20, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
You mean except for the reports that have shown that CTE can turn you into a killer? I'm not saying that happened here for sure, haven't watched it, but to act like that's impossible...?
For everyone suffering from CTE I feel sorry for. You now have to worry that people will think you are going to turn into a killer. Make no mistake this is a high profile show lots of people will see it and have that take away because that is how stupid people are.

Guaranteed more and more will use it as a trial defense.
Old 01-17-20, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It isn't about saying CTE turns a normal person into a killer. It's just an potential explanation as to that final "oomph" that turns a dirt bag with homicidal tendencies into an full blown murderer - the loss of whatever voice it was that was preventing that action beforehand. Like being in a haze.

Odds are it would have still happened at some point regardless as he obviously already lacked respect for human life.

As for the trial defense, yeah they'll try it at some point. It just means that maybe they'll escape the death penalty while proving the person has no control, is dangerous and should be locked up for life.

Of course this is just from stuff I've read in the past, I still haven't watched this docu.
Old 01-19-20, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think people should give the documentary a chance before pre-judging it. I thought it was excellent. Do they delve into the whole CTE thing? Of course. But I didn't necessarily think they put all of the blame on that, as some are suggesting. And you can definitely disagree with certain statements and still find the doc interesting. Hell, there's even a character interviewed in the film that basically makes that argument, saying that it's complete "bullshit" that CTE made him a murderer, and points out that tons of professional athletes have sustained brain injuries/trauma that didn't turn into sociopathic killers. There's also a lot of discussion about Hernandez's sexuality, with some arguing one way and others arguing another way...So the doc is not definitive in any way, it's more of a broad discussion.

So, I don't know, I'd still say give it a chance...I was enthralled for the three hours or so running time...
Old 01-19-20, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought it was well done.

I definitely think CTE could've put him over the edge to becoming a killer. Not the sole reason, but could have been a contributing factor.
Many with CTE have killed themselves - so killing someone else isn't out of the realm of possibility. Remember, Chris Benoit killed his wife and kid and was determined to have severe CTE.

I also think his bottling up his sexuality played a factor as well. He may have been overcompensating by trying to come across as a tough guy.
Old 01-19-20, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If that's the impression the doc gave, then I'm glad I didn't watch it. Did CTE make him post this picture with a gun when he was like 19 and playing college ball? Or the fact that he was a member of a gang in HS?

Dude, he played full contact football since he was in middle school, not college. That is plenty of hits to the head to start the symptoms of CTE
Old 01-19-20, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He seemed low IQ. Like I get that CTE screwed up his brain but .. he deleted some of his own incriminating security footage but not all of it. Killed someone and just left the body in plain sight near his house with all evidence pointing to him.

Now having said that it is interesting that CTE impairs judgement and increases difficulty in controlling impulsive and aggressive behavior. Take an already aggressive dude with bad judgment and then CTE completely destroys those mental areas ..

Originally Posted by sinned View Post
Just finished this - thought it was distracting that the time line kept jumping, I think it would have been better if they did it in a linear fashion like the 'Don't F*ck with Cats' documentary. Apparently, this was the same team that did 'Evil Genius' so it was a bit of a disappointment.
Production felt lazy to me. And, agree, the time jumps were all over the place and annoying. Also the first episode was like 80% info we already knew and they kept repeating it.

Last edited by Finisher; 01-19-20 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-20-20, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dude, he played full contact football since he was in middle school, not college. That is plenty of hits to the head to start the symptoms of CTE
If that's the case, don't we need to shut down every full contact sport asap? If we're admitting that playing them as a child can legit turn you into a murderer at 17?
Old 01-20-20, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Watched this yesterday and it was very interesting. CTE played some part in his state of ming, but so did a number of other factors throughout his life. At the end of the day, he killed those people (he may have been acquitted of the double homicide from 2012, but the way I see it he was guilty as hell. He just had a better lawyer for that case).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.