Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Clarice (CBS) - The Silence of the Lambs sequel series - premieres 2/11/21

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-12, 08:23 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Clarice (CBS) - The Silence of the Lambs sequel series - premieres 2/11/21

Lifetime Developing ‘Clarice’ TV Series, Based on ‘Silence of the Lambs’ Character

Bryan Fuller’s Hannibal TV series will premiere on NBC in the foreseeable future. However, Lifetime has already begun development on another television show that will be centered around a famous character from Thomas Harris’ literature: FBI agent Clarice Starling.

MGM is producing the latter series, which is titled Clarice. The project is backed by Lifetime head honcho Nancy Dubuc (executive producer of The Kennedys), with the intention to replicate the success of Jennifer Love Hewittt’s The Client List – as another actress-headlined series on the channel.

According to TV Guide, Clarice will chronicle the experiences of its namesake after she has her first encounter with Hannibal “The Cannibal” Lecter and graduates from FBI academy. It sounds as though the TV series will therefore bridge the narrative gap between The Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal, following Clarice as she learns to cope with the everyday obstacles that come with the Fed lifestyle – and faces off against a resentful superior, who takes on the form of Department of Justice official Paul Krendler.

Such an approach would result in Clarice playing out as a relatively conventional crime drama/procedural, focused around a brilliant, crime-solving protagonist with a troubled psyche (a la the BBC’s Luther). That would also set the former apart from Fuller’s show, which will have more of a buddy dynamic at its core.

As indicated before, Dubuc is interested in producing more original television series on Lifetime “with strong female leads.” Hence, don’t be surprised if a young actress whose star is rapidly on the rise signs on to portray Clarice in the pilot - following in the footsteps of Jodie Foster from Silence of the Lambs (which snagged her an Oscar) and Julianne Moore’s performance from the Ridley Scott-directed Hannibal film adaptation.

NBC has yet to announce who will play the infamous Dr. Lecter in Fuller’s Hannibal TV series. No doubt, that’s partially due to the difficult nature of casting for the role – which so many people cannot disassociate from Sir Anthony Hopkins, despite the character having also previously been brought to life by people like Brian Cox in Manhunter and Gaspard Ulliel in Hannibal Rising (a younger version, in the latter case).

Foster’s turn as Clarice remains the most widely-admired cinematic incarnation of the heroine, but it’s never reached the icon status of Hopkins as Hannibal. It should also help that the Clarice TV series doesn’t look to feature the Dr. Lecter character in any explicit capacity – which could allow the show to better avoid comparisons to previous adaptations of Harris’ creations.

Of course, Clarice is going to be geared primarily towards the Lifetime viewing demographic. So, with that label, there also come certain “expectations,” good and bad.

Screen Rant will keep you up-to-date on any additional noteworthy developments concerning Clarice.
I think I'd rather see this than a Hannibal show....but not on Lifetime.
Old 05-28-12, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Lifetime developing Clarice Starling show

I'd rather sit in Buffalo Bill's well with the fat chick.
Old 05-28-12, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I'd rather sit in Buffalo Bill's well with the fat chick.
Tell us how you really feel
Old 05-28-12, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

This will be hilariously awful.
Old 05-29-12, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
This will be hilariously awful.
This.

I'd be wary of this show on ANY network, but the fact that it's on Lifetime will make it awful
Old 05-29-12, 08:31 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

finally! I've always wondered exactly when Clarice Starling's menstrual cycle started each month!
Old 05-29-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Yeah, the idea is actually BETTER than a series revolving around Hannibal Lecter, but given the network, it will wind up being just a low budget procedural. Too bad someone didn't think of this first as a MOVIE. I could totally see Emma Stone taking on the Starling role (she's always reminded me of a young Foster).
Old 05-29-12, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I thought NBC was doing a show on Lector
Old 05-29-12, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Yes, it's coming out midseason 2013, which could be anywhere from January to April. It's being produced by an Independent production company. They have only cast Will Graham, but not Lecter.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Yeah, the idea is actually BETTER than a series revolving around Hannibal Lecter, but given the network, it will wind up being just a low budget procedural. Too bad someone didn't think of this first as a MOVIE. I could totally see Emma Stone taking on the Starling role (she's always reminded me of a young Foster).
Lifetime has been wanting a female-driven procedural for the last few years. They are talking about possibly reviving the CBS show Unforgoettable, which just got cancelled. All the ones that got greenlit to series recently have tanked.

I'm not afraid to say it, I watch Lifetime for Army Wives, which I think is their best show. Everything else on their network is meh to cheesy.

I can easily see a show like The Good Wife on CBS eventually making it's way to Lifetime through syndication when it gets enough episodes.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-29-12 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-29-12, 04:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Something that is discussed in the very article posted.
Old 05-29-12, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That seems like a long time to spend developing a single show.
Old 05-29-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
That seems like a long time to spend developing a single show.
Most television shows spend about 12-16 months in development before they make it on the air - some much longer. "Pilots" are usually greenlite 6-12 months before the show even makes it on the air and that is after the idea has been sold, script has been set and the hiring decisions have been made.
Old 05-29-12, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So would the show include Jack Crawford? Seems possible since they are using another character from the books/movies (Paul Krendler). I'm also wondering about both of these shows if they will be set in the appropriate time period relative to SOTL, or will they just be brought into the present?

Last edited by windom; 05-29-12 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-29-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by windom
So would the show include Jack Crawford? Seems possible since they are using another character from the books/movies (Paul Krendler). I'm also wondering about both of these shows if they will be set the appropriate time period relative to SOTL, or will they just be brought into the present?
The screen rights to Crawford are controlled by the Dino de Laurentiis estate just like Lecter and Chilton because they first appeared in "Manhunter."

The same situation applies to Starling and Krendler as they both first appeared on-screen in Orion's "Silence," hence MGM including them in this series. I wonder how many people realize that the late Ron Vawter was playing the same character later played by Ray Liotta in the sequel.

"Hannibal" was really the only time DDL and MGM ever really worked together, and even then Universal had won a bidding war for the novel only to find that they couldn't make it without MGM's rights.

When "Manhunter" flopped DDL let Orion use the three recurring characters in "Silence" for cheap or free but after "Hannibal" they've consciously produced Lecter projects that don't utilize MGM's rights. That will probably go down in history as the smartest thing de Laurentiis ever did because he sure made a mountain of money riding SOTL's coattails.

Interestingly enough, MGM managed to get a chunk of change and their name in the credits in exchange for an establishing shot of the mental hospital from "Silence" being re-used in "Red Dragon." To look at the credit box they're listed as co-distributors but I've never seen anything that says they got any actual rights to the movie (theatrical, video or TV). It certainly wasn't a "Hannibal" situation where they dumped a lot of money into it then had to bring MGM on board to use vital characters.

So yeah, this is very much MGM playing dirty like DdL did for years. They have the rights to Starling and Krendler and they're gonna use them. It'll be interesting to see how they handle their legal inability to mention Lector and Crawford.
Old 05-29-12, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I was suckered in. I thought it was going to be The Clarice Starling Show -- a talk show hosted by Clarice Starling. Each episode her guests would be contained in a plastic box and she would sit outside on a stool. Her grand entrance would be walking by another cell where a guy would throw something different on her each time (ala The Simpson's opening sequence) ...
Old 05-30-12, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I was suckered in. I thought it was going to be The Clarice Starling Show -- a talk show hosted by Clarice Starling. Each episode her guests would be contained in a plastic box and she would sit outside on a stool. Her grand entrance would be walking by another cell where a guy would throw something different on her each time (ala The Simpson's opening sequence) ...
Now THAT'S a TV show!
Old 06-04-12, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Wasn't the whole point of Clarice in Silence of the Lambs that she was a rookie?

So know they are going to give her years of experience before even meeting Lecter? Stupid ass idea.
Old 06-04-12, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gunde
Wasn't the whole point of Clarice in Silence of the Lambs that she was a rookie?

So know they are going to give her years of experience before even meeting Lecter? Stupid ass idea.
No, you misunderstood...the series would take place AFTER the events of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, but BEFORE the events of HANNIBAL.
Old 06-05-12, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

^ Ah so I see. That makes more sense
Old 06-05-12, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Something that is discussed in the very article posted.
Sorry when I saw Lifetime I did not bother to read it
Old 01-12-20, 10:35 AM

Clarice - The Silence of the Lambs sequel series

CBS will now give it a go.

I guess we aren’t getting that Season 4 of Hannibal that would be a SotL adaptation.

CBS has closed deals for Clarice, a crime drama series project based on the famous Thomas Harris character Clarice Sterling, which is set after the events in The Silence Of the Lambs. The project, written and executive produced by Alex Kurtzman and Jenny Lumet, has received a big series commitment.

The intention for the project, which has a pilot script written, is to go to series. It will film a pilot before a series order decision is made but a writers room has already been set up, and there and a lot of enthusiasm for the title, the premise and the auspices at the network. Needless to say, Clarice will be one of the highest-profile roles for a young actress this pilot season.

Clarice is produced by MGM, which owns the underlying rights, and CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s CBS Studios-based Secret Hideout.

Clarice is set in 1993, a year after the events of The Silence of the Lambs. The series is a deep dive into the untold personal story of Clarice Starling, as she returns to the field to pursue serial murderers and sexual predators while navigating the high stakes political world of Washington, D.C.

“After more than 20 years of silence, we’re privileged to give voice to one of America’s most enduring heroes – Clarice Starling,” said Kurtzman and Lumet. “Clarice’s bravery and complexity have always lit the way, even as her personal story remained in the dark. But hers is the very story we need today: her struggle, her resilience, her victory. Her time is now, and always.”

Secret Hideout’s Heather Kadin will also serve as an executive producer alongside Kurtzman and Lumet; the company’s Aaron Baiers will be co-executive producer. The creative auspices had been working on the project for awhile while waiting for the lengthy, complicated negotiations between CBS TV Studios and rights holder MGM to close.

MGM previously teamed with Lifetime in 2012 to develop Clarice, a TV series that was to follow the exploits of a young Clarice Starling soon after she graduates from the FBI academy. That project did not go forward.

As originally envisioned by Harris, Clarice grew up in West Virginia until she was 10, when her father, a police officer, was shot and killed. She moves to her uncle’s farm in Montana, but later runs away and winds up in an orphanage. After college, she applies to the FBI academy.

The Silence of the Lambs was published in 1988, and the movie adaptation hit theaters in 1991, directed by Jonathan Demme and starring Jodie Foster as Clarice. It swept the top categories at the 64th Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Actress for Foster.

Foster declined to reprise the role in the 2001’s Hannibal, based on Harris’ 1999 novel, which was set 10 years after The Silence of the Lambs. Julianne Moore took over as the character in that movie directed by Ridley Scott.

Writing partners Kurtzman and Lumet are the co-creators and co-showrunners drama series The Man Who Fell to Earth, based on the Walter Tevis novel and the cult classic 1976 film starring David Bowie, produced by Secret Hideout and CBS TV Studios. It is set up at CBS All Access.

Lumet also is an executive producer on the Kurtzman-led CBS All Access series Star Trek: Discovery, a consulting producer on Star Trek: Picard and authored the Short Trek “Runaway” with Kurtzman. Additionally, she wrote a 2017 CBS pilot produced by Secret Hideout.

Kurtzman and his Secret Hideout, are at the helm of the growing Star Trek universe on CBS All Access, including flagship Star Trek: Discovery and the upcoming Star Trek: Picard, featuring Patrick Stewart reprising his iconic role. He is also an executive producer on CBS’ Hawaii Five-0. Kadin serves as an executive producer on the Star Trek projects and is the president of television at Secret Hideout.
https://deadline.com/2020/01/clarice-silence-of-the-lambs-sequel-tv-series-cbs-alex-kurtzman-jenny-lumet-big-commitment-1202828050/

Last edited by dex14; 01-12-20 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-12-20, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts
re: Clarice (CBS) - The Silence of the Lambs sequel series - premieres 2/11/21

I’ve heard good things about Hannibal the series on NBC from a while back but never watched it. This could be interesting, but if the fourth season of Hannibal was supposed to be a Silence of the Lambs adaptation it’s too bad we aren’t getting that instead. Also, I’m always wary of anything that Alex Kurtzman is attached to. Kind of cool that it will be a period show and they aren’t trying to modernize it.
Old 01-12-20, 11:09 AM

I think it was a pipe dream. Fuller still needed to get the rights.
Old 01-12-20, 11:19 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I’ve heard good things about Hannibal the series on NBC from a while back but never watched it. This could be interesting, but if the fourth season of Hannibal was supposed to be a Silence of the Lambs adaptation it’s too bad we aren’t getting that instead. Also, I’m always wary of anything that Alex Kurtzman is attached to. Kind of cool that it will be a period show and they aren’t trying to modernize it.
Hannibal was excellent with some of the most AMAZING cinematography I've ever seen in a TV show. It's worth a watch. The ending of the series is satisfying even if it ends on a cliffhanger*.
Old 01-12-20, 12:02 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

If it’s on CBS I expect this to be like a boring Criminal Minds procedure. Hard pass.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.