DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist — S: Jane Levy, Mary Steenburgen, Skylar Astin (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/649547-zoeys-extraordinary-playlist-%97-s-jane-levy-mary-steenburgen-skylar-astin.html)

dex14 01-07-20 12:58 PM

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist — S: Jane Levy, Mary Steenburgen, Skylar Astin

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...88ff2055cd.jpg

If there's a song in your heart, it will get in her head. Jane Levy stars in this high-concept drama as Zoey Clarke, a whip-smart computer coder forging her way in San Francisco. After an unusual event, Zoey, who always preferred podcasts over pop songs, suddenly starts to hear the innermost wants, thoughts and desires of the people around her - her family, co-workers and complete strangers - through popular songs. At first, she questions her own sanity, but after getting some guidance from her musically adept neighbor, Mo, and making a breakthrough with her ailing father, Zoey soon realizes this unwanted curse may just be an incredibly wonderful gift as she connects with the world like never before. The series stars Jane Levy, Skylar Astin, Alex Newell and John Clarence Stewart, with Peter Gallagher and Mary Steenburgen. Lauren Graham is a special guest star.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Alex Newell as Mo
· Andrew Leeds as David
· Jane Levy as Zoey
· John Clarence Stewart as Simon
· Lauren Graham as Joan
· Mary Steenburgen as Maggie
· Peter Gallagher as Mitch
· Skylar Astin as Max

CREW INFORMATION:
· Austin Winsberg as CRTR/EP
· Daniel Inkeles as EP
· David Blackman as EP
· Eric Tannenbaum as EP
· Jessie Henderson as EP
· Kim Tannenbaum as EP
· Paul Feig as EP
· Richard Shepard as EP/DIR (Pilot)
This will be a rare network show I will check out.

DJariya 01-07-20 01:08 PM

re: Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist — S: Jane Levy, Mary Steenburgen, Skylar Astin

I might have to watch this. I really like Jane Levy and some of the supporting players in this.

dex14 01-07-20 01:09 PM

re: Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist — S: Jane Levy, Mary Steenburgen, Skylar Astin

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13666968)
I might have to watch this. I really like Jane Levy and some of the supporting players in this.

That is pretty much the only reason I'm giving this a shot.

Decker 01-07-20 01:45 PM

High concept indeed. Will check it out on Hulu probably.

DWilson 01-07-20 01:49 PM

I'll check it out, but I can't see it catching on.... or catching on for very long. "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend" at least had clever originals, while I assume this is all covers.

whotony 01-07-20 09:16 PM

The concept reminds me a little of Eli Stone

Ill be watching for a few eps at least.
love Levy and some of the rest of the cast too.

Also is there something a bit off withte audio?
looks and sounds like all the audio is dubbed.

dex14 01-07-20 11:19 PM

I liked it.

Peter Gallagher brought the feels.

DWilson 01-08-20 06:11 AM

The ongoing question will be the use of songs in upcoming episodes since music rights are expensive, -pilots usually have a generous budget.

whotony 01-08-20 07:04 PM

I liked it too but it was a bit of of a sad show at least in the pilot.

Superman07 01-08-20 09:31 PM

Set to record because it looks interesting. However, it seems liken Chuck meets Glee.

Could you imagine if this came out 15 years ago. People would be pissed when the music rights get revoked and the songs are dubbed on DVD. :lol:

fujishig 01-09-20 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson (Post 13667305)
The ongoing question will be the use of songs in upcoming episodes since music rights are expensive, -pilots usually have a generous budget.

This was my thought, how many covers are they going to be able to do and are they going to keep up with the elaborate dance numbers. Though I guess Glee had a lot of covers too.

They actually did a decent job of mimicking what it's like to work in a Silicon Valley/tech company without going overboard with the geekiness. I told my wife the guy with the glasses would reveal himself in song because he was just too nice, too, though I thought for sure the plot would be that he took credit for her work with the bug or something.

My main complaint is why did they premiere this so early if it's not even going to be on regularly for a month and a half? I hate that.

Superman07 01-09-20 09:09 PM

This was pretty fun! Will be curious to see how future episodes settle.

Does anybody know of music right costs are the same if you’re playing a recorded song, vs the rights to reproduce (I.e. sing)?

emachine12 01-10-20 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 13668413)
Does anybody know of music right costs are the same if you’re playing a recorded song, vs the rights to reproduce (I.e. sing)?

Depends on the rights holders, in general: covers cost less or doing a cover costs less.

Elizabeth Banks said that for Pitch Perfect 3, they couldn’t secure song clearances for fan requested material even though it was the “last” movie. Time Life paid a lot to clear the music for China Beach but then had to use covers as replacements for some due to the rights issues.

davidh777 01-12-20 01:52 AM

I never watched Suburgatory, but Levy is pretty adorable, and I liked the pilot. Then again, I watched the whole run of Glee and am a sucker for almost any kind of musical. :lol:

The episode was more serious than I expected with the Gallagher storyline. That reminds me that I heard him sing in the Guys and Dolls revival way back in... 1992. Yikes.

IDrinkMolson 01-12-20 02:56 PM

Watched it for Levy as well. Going to be a long season if all she does is stare into the camera and make puzzled faces during the music numbers.

JeffTheAlpaca 01-13-20 08:06 AM

The next new episode airs on Sun Feb 16 probably because these idiot TV programmers put the Grammys, Super Bowl, and Oscars all in back to back to back weeks instead of spacing out the awards shows.

fujishig 01-13-20 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13669906)
The next new episode airs on Sun Feb 16 probably because these idiot TV programmers put the Grammys, Super Bowl, and Oscars all in back to back to back weeks instead of spacing out the awards shows.

Then maybe don't premiere your show early? I just don't get it.

dex14 01-13-20 08:29 AM

It was just an early screening to create buzz and they used the Ellen show as a lead in. It happens all the time.

Cellar Door 01-13-20 11:25 PM

Yeah, I think they did the same thing with Glee (premiering the first episode early).

Rex Fenestrarum 01-14-20 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07 (Post 13668413)

Mechanical rights (to recordings) are almost always more expensive than performance rights (to cover it yourself)... sometimes by an order of magnitude. In 2007, Target did a series of commercials with indie acts covering Beatles songs (here's
). It helps that it's cool and hip, and something you might hear in a Starbucks... but of course the real reason they used that artist is that paying her $$$, renting the recording studio and recording it themselves was 97% cheaper than licensing the Beatles' version.

Also, once you release a song, you don't really have a say in who can cover it, but you can choose who can use the actual recording. The Pretenders really didn't like that Rush Limbaugh used"My City Was Gone" as his theme song. They could force him to stop using it, but if Limbaugh hired a band to cover it, there's fuck all they can do to stop him.

davidh777 02-10-20 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson (Post 13669632)
Watched it for Levy as well. Going to be a long season if all she does is stare into the camera and make puzzled faces during the music numbers.

Yeah, she did that, but because the concept is that she’s seeing other people’s thoughts, it makes sense, at least for the first episode. Considering she’s on screen for pretty much the rest of the time, I’m OK with it, but we’ll see where they take it.

Looking forward to the new episode on the 16th.

fujishig 02-17-20 11:36 AM

I hope my DVR caught yesterday's episode.

An article about why NBC chose to air episode 1 so early:

https://www.vulture.com/2020/02/zoey...-strategy.html

NBC has used the long gap between installments of the Jane Levy–led series to make it ubiquitous, striking deals to place the show’s first episode on a slew of large digital platforms like YouTube, Hulu, Facebook, and Spotify, while also embedding the hour in ads the network took out on sites such as Playbill, Bustle, and yes, Vulture. NBC’s hope: Younger audiences who’ve been abandoning linear TV will take notice of Zoey before it settles into its weekly broadcast run. “We’re approaching the launch and the marketing of the show in a way that would attract the people that might not necessarily come and see it on a linear platform,” says Liza Katz, the network’s co-head of scripted programming.

dstrauss 02-18-20 10:35 AM

I watched episode 2 last night with the wife. It's still cute, but the musical sequences are far less interesting to me than the other stuff (and I'm a theatre guy, so musical theatre stuff doesn't bother me). It still feels like Eli Stone redone with a younger woman as the lead, but it's clever enough so far I'll stick with it a little longer.

DWilson 02-18-20 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by dstrauss (Post 13689603)
I watched episode 2 last night with the wife. It's still cute, but the musical sequences are far less interesting to me than the other stuff (and I'm a theatre guy, so musical theatre stuff doesn't bother me). It still feels like Eli Stone redone with a younger woman as the lead, but it's clever enough so far I'll stick with it a little longer.

I'm coming at it the other way, -I enjoy the musical sequences (particularly Mandy Moore's choreography) but everything else is just same-old, same-old (though it's a charming cast).There just isn't very much there there.

Superman07 02-18-20 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson (Post 13689615)
I'm coming at it the other way, -I enjoy the musical sequences (particularly Mandy Moore's choreography) but everything else is just same-old, same-old (though it's a charming cast).There just isn't very much there there.

Funny you mention that because I keep wondering if it should be a 30 or 60 minute show.

If they can dig deeper into the characters, relationships and what this power means, I’ll stay interested. But if it’s like issue of the moment, followed by random song number I’m going to lose interest quick.