Reload this Page >

What streaming services should do with series scheduling

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What streaming services should do with series scheduling

Old 01-07-20, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,018 Posts
Re: What streaming services should do with series scheduling

I'll also say this: I prioritize weekly shows because of the discussion, just like I prioritize sports. For instance, I was looking forward to the Umbrella Academy but I still haven't watched it all. It was just too much to binge all at once (for my schedule at least) and it will always be available, and nobody's talking about it, whereas I watched the Boys, Watchmen, His Dark Materials, Doom Patrol, and even Titans s2 and others if not right away, soon after they were released.

I'll also say that it would have been a travesty (for discussion purposes) if HBO released Watchmen all at once.
Old 01-07-20, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Stranger Things is big for like two weeks and then people move on to the next thing. Atleast that is how it seemed for this past season.
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Personally I think the last season of Stranger Things was done and gone in a flash compared to other stuff of a similar popularity that went week to week. But that may just be on discussion boards.
If the basis of success is solely on how long something stays in discussion for then of course a weekly show is going to inherently get more discussion. The point I was trying to make is comparing The Mandalorian to The Witcher as a basis of argument that week-to-week is better than binge is unfair because of how little known and new The Witcher is to most people. Stranger Things has managed to become a pop culture hit right from the first season and has been a big money maker for Netflix. Lego just released a Stranger Things set (which looks awesome, if you're into that kind of stuff) and the Scoops Ahoy outfit was a popular Halloween costume last year, which came around months after season 3 dropped.

Ultimately, Stranger Things not being a week to week show hasn't hurt it's popularity so to say that there needs to be long term week to week discussion in order to be successful isn't very true. Last I checked, Netflix has been doing just fine with this model.
Old 01-07-20, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

I've never been a fan of binging. Part of the fun for me at least is the anticipation of the next episode; plus, I tend to get burned out quickly if I try to watch more than one episode of a show at a time. I did take eight weeks to watch Stranger Things last summer, and it was at times a challenge to avoid spoilers. And it is correct that no one was talking about it when I finished.
Old 01-07-20, 01:41 PM

Received 3,256 Likes on 2,212 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Last I checked, Netflix has been doing just fine with this model.
They are. But I'm sure they would kill to have anything they produce be as part of the zeitgeist as The Mandalorian.
Old 01-07-20, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 969 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I just wish they'd allow us to kill any form of autoplay/autopreview, etc. It just pisses me off every time it happens.
God, I hated when Netflix started doing this. Maybe it's just me, but I find it really annoying and almost makes me not want to scroll around for shows to watch. I so wish there was a way to turn it off.

Old 01-07-20, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 339 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
God, I hated when Netflix started doing this. Maybe it's just me, but I find it really annoying and almost makes me not want to scroll around for shows to watch. I so wish there was a way to turn it off.
When I am surfing around, I have defaulted to simply muting my TV.
Old 01-07-20, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 856 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
The problem with the streaming model is TV series are now movie-length stories stretched to fill 8-12 episodes. If I see an interesting premise on a Netflix program and then see it's a season instead of a single movie, I don't bother with it.
This is something I kinda hate with streaming and a lot of modern tv in general. So much content is serialized now. You have to keep up or youíre completely lost or episodes donít make sense on their own oftentimes. Itís not like the old days where you could catch an episode or just watch one randomly. Thatís why The Mandalorian was so refreshing. Thereís a storyline but the episodes can stand alone too. I think thatís something thatís become lost with a lot of modern shows.

Not saying I donít like any serialized shows, but it just feels like most of the big anticipated ones are that way and that can sometimes turn me away faster.

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
I've never been a fan of binging. Part of the fun for me at least is the anticipation of the next episode; plus, I tend to get burned out quickly if I try to watch more than one episode of a show at a time. I did take eight weeks to watch Stranger Things last summer, and it was at times a challenge to avoid spoilers. And it is correct that no one was talking about it when I finished.
Agreed here too. Not every show, but it can be easy to burn out on a show while binging for me. I tend to find a lot of episodes overly long (I donít need every episode to be at the hour mark or close) and especially if thereís filler episodes shows can be a slog to get through. Whereas when Iím watching week to week it doesnít feel that way as much because thereís time in between where Iím anticipating the next episode, and even if itís not the best Iím likely to be more attentive to it due to the fact Iíve been waiting.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-07-20 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-07-20, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They are. But I'm sure they would kill to have anything they produce be as part of the zeitgeist as The Mandalorian.
I'd say that Making A Murderer fits that bill quite nicely. I'd also argue that a big part of the Mandalorian success is that it's a Star Wars property and less because it was released week to week.
Old 01-07-20, 03:13 PM

Received 3,256 Likes on 2,212 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
I'd also argue that a big part of the Mandalorian success is that it's a Star Wars property and less because it was released week to week.
I'm not disputing that at all. But the fact that it was released week to week kept those entertainment articles, new memes, gifs, etc. coming for a much longer time than it would if it was all dropped at once. It also builds up the momentum and gets more people talking and about it and new viewers over the course of those 8 weeks. There weren't a bunch of speculation and theory articles and discussion every week about who such and such character is or what will happen next with The Witcher because it all came out at once. The questions were answered. Different than all the articles just explaining the timeline. A more apt comparison would probably be The Witcher vs Watchmen.

And for the record, I don't want them to change to week to week.

Last edited by dex14; 01-07-20 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-07-20, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 589 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
When I am surfing around, I have defaulted to simply muting my TV.
As I often use Netflix via a browser, I'm always trying to find the sweet spot where my mouse won't trigger any previews. It's ridiculous to have to do that. Forcing a preview is sure as shit not going to get me to watch a show.
Old 01-08-20, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not disputing that at all. But the fact that it was released week to week kept those entertainment articles, new memes, gifs, etc. coming for a much longer time than it would if it was all dropped at once. It also builds up the momentum and gets more people talking and about it and new viewers over the course of those 8 weeks. There weren't a bunch of speculation and theory articles and discussion every week about who such and such character is or what will happen next with The Witcher because it all came out at once. The questions were answered. Different than all the articles just explaining the timeline. A more apt comparison would probably be The Witcher vs Watchmen.

And for the record, I don't want them to change to week to week.
That's fair and I understand the preference to watch week to week - but I don't think most people really care about discussions and articles lasting for weeks. They want to finish their show, read about it, talk about it here and there and if the show is good/popular enough - it will find it's rightful place in memehood. Ultimately, I think popularity of shows vary for a multitude of reasons. But I don't believe that Binge vs. Week-To-Week is high on that list of reasons.

But it's interesting that you bring up momentum because that does work both ways. As you stated, if a week-to-week show is good, it'll gain an audience as the weeks go on. But momentum is a bitch sometimes - if you're going week to week on, say, a 10 episode season and episodes 3, 4 and 5 happen to be on the weaker side, that momentum will go the other way really fast. People will jump ship from a week to week show half way through a season much more easily than they would if it's a binge show.
Old 01-08-20, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I think it's definitely becoming harder and harder to keep shows and specific seasons relevant and in the discussion for weeks/months when content just keeps coming out.

I know The Mandalorian had the big advantage of being a Star Wars IP and being released so close to the release of episode 9. So that alone helped it stay relevant for the last 2+ months.

But, for streaming shows, it's excruciatingly difficult. As soon as you finish the latest season of say The Witcher, 5-10 more new series or seasons drop. Now how much time do you think you can devote to talking about it when the content just keeps piling up? And that's in addition to stuff on cable and regular TV. Not myself personally, but I think it seems like most here just want to move on so they don't fall massively behind or even miss out on something. I know it's so hard to keep up with every new series that sounds even remotely interesting.

That's why I think the Netflix shows or others that release their entire seasons have such a short lifespan on staying relevant.

Yes, releasing some big budget, pop culture shows weekly could help it stay relevant, but then again it it could hurt others that may not get that kind of publicity.

Old 01-08-20, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

Yes, releasing some big budget, pop culture shows weekly could help it stay relevant, but then again it it could hurt others that may not get that kind of publicity.
It's always been network strategy to build new or failing shows by scheduling them around hit shows. Series premiere after the Superbowl, etc. Create interest by airing show directly before or after MASH. Move them to a different night, or different time. Can't do this with streaming. Hard to do with networks anymore.