Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Outsider (HBO) - based on the Stephen King novel - S: Mendelsohn, Bateman - premieres 1/12/20

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Outsider (HBO) - based on the Stephen King novel - S: Mendelsohn, Bateman - premieres 1/12/20

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-20, 08:49 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Based on the best-selling novel by Stephen King, The Outsider premieres January 12 at 9pm on HBO.

The 10-episode series follows police detective Ralph Anderson (Ben Mendelsohn), as he sets out to investigate the mutilated body of 11-year-old Frankie Peterson found in the Georgia woods. The mysterious circumstances surrounding this horrifying crime leads Ralph, still grieving the recent death of his own son, to bring in unorthodox private investigator Holly Gibney (Cynthia Erivo), whose uncanny abilities he hopes will help explain the unexplainable.

The cast includes Ben Mendelsohn, Cynthia Erivo, Bill Camp, Mare Winningham, Paddy Considine, Julianne Nicholson, Yul Vázquez, Jeremy Bobb and Marc Menchaca.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Ben Mendelsohn as Ralph Anderson
· Bill Camp as Howie Salomon
· Cynthia Erivo as Holly Gibney
· Jason Bateman as Terry Maitland
· Jeremy Bobb as Alec Pelley
· Julianne Nicholson as Glory Maitland
· Marc Menchaca as Jack Hoskins
· Mare Winningham as Jeannie Anderson
· Paddy Considine as Claude Bolton
· Yul Vázquez as Yunis Sablo

CREW INFORMATION:
· Andrew Bernstein as EP
· Ben Mendelsohn as PROD
· Dennis Lehane as EP
· Jack Bender as EP
· Jason Bateman as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Marty Bowen as EP
· Michael Costigan as EP
· Richard Price as CRTR/EP
· Stephen King as BOOK

Last edited by dex14; 01-21-20 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-08-20, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Outsider (HBO) - based on the Stephen King novel - S: Mendelsohn, Bateman - premieres 1/12/20

Wife and I saw the first two episodes via a preview at Alamo Drafthouse tonight. We both thought they were excellent and I'm very excited for the series. I'm not familiar with the source material so I have no real idea where it is going.
Old 01-09-20, 02:50 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Re: The Outsider (HBO) - based on the Stephen King novel - S: Mendelsohn, Bateman - premieres 1/12/20

I read the book and really enjoyed it, looking forward to the series. It starts this Sunday.
Old 01-09-20, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Haven't read the Outsider yet, but Erivo is playing the same character Justine Lupe plays in Mr Mercedes.
Old 01-12-20, 05:38 PM

Premieres tonight.
Old 01-12-20, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

First TWO episodes air tonight.
Old 01-13-20, 06:45 AM

I thought it was a good start. Good direction by Bateman. It definitely has a True Detective feel, so I see why this ended up on HBO. Pretty grim stuff. I hope that the funeral home extends a further discount to the next of kin.
Old 01-13-20, 08:04 AM
Enormous Genitals

I thought it was great. I read the book so I know exactly where this is going, and I kind of wish I didn't know. I can experience the surprises vicariously through my wife, who didn't read the book and is watching with me. She keeps asking me questions about the plot and I keep telling her not to ask me anything.
Old 01-13-20, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

The first episode was good but the second just became so convoluted. I hope this doesn't end up having some supernatural explanation for everything.

Was the DP on this the same on as for GoT's "The Long Night"? I could barely see anything.

Some things that were confusing to me:
Who was the guy that shot the teacher and others at courthouse?
Who was the guy that hanged himself?
Who is the boar hunter guy and what was he called in for?
Who is the hooded person lurking around?
Who was that with the clothes at the end?
Why does the lead investigator seem to mumble all his lines?
Old 01-13-20, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by windom

Who was the guy that shot the teacher and others at courthouse? The brother of the boy killed.
Who was the guy that hanged himself? The father of the boy killed.
The entire family was killed off because of what happened.
Old 01-13-20, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The entire family was killed off because of what happened.
Ok, that's who I thought they were but I wasn't positive. What about the mom?
Old 01-13-20, 10:12 AM
Enormous Genitals

The first episode was good but the second just became so convoluted. I hope this doesn't end up having some supernatural explanation for everything.
You do know who wrote the story, right?

Who was the guy that shot the teacher and others at courthouse? Brother of the boy killed
Who was the guy that hanged himself? Father of the boy killed and the boy who shot Maitland
Who is the boar hunter guy and what was he called in for? Police Detective who was on vacation. Had to be called in when the other detectives were put on leave - one for shooting the boy, the other for being shot (and having a baby)
Who is the hooded person lurking around? Who indeed? Keep watching.
Who was that with the clothes at the end? It's a mystery. Keep watching.
Why does the lead investigator seem to mumble all his lines?
Old 01-13-20, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Was the DP on this the same on as for GoT's "The Long Night"? I could barely see anything.

Who is the boar hunter guy and what was he called in for? The only other detective in that law enforcement office. The pregnant detective was shot and Ralph was placed on leave after killing the kid.
Who is the hooded person lurking around? Not yet revealed.
Who was that with the clothes at the end? Those were the clothes that Terry Maitland appeared to have changed into at the Strip Club.
Why does the lead investigator seem to mumble all his lines? Unknown or not yet revealed.
Old 01-13-20, 10:13 AM
Enormous Genitals

The mom had a heart attack after the funeral (when she was hitting everything in the house with a bat).
Old 01-13-20, 10:13 AM

She had a heart attack and died. That then set off the son to do the shooting, which then made the father kill himself.
Old 01-13-20, 10:15 AM

Also... that is just how Ben Mendelsohn talks with his American accent. He seems to have a slight speech impediment.
Old 01-13-20, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great first two episodes. Will have to read the book before the series ends.
Old 01-13-20, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Good start, but I worry about future episodes. I felt the book started out as a great crime mystery, but about the time Maitland is killed is when the book went off the deep end and ultimately became the most disappointing King novel I’ve read in years.
Old 01-14-20, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Good start, but I worry about future episodes. I felt the book started out as a great crime mystery, but about the time Maitland is killed is when the book went off the deep end and ultimately became the most disappointing King novel I’ve read in years.
That's Stephen King for you.

I really liked these 2 first episode, and I haven't read the book, but based on Kings' previous work I'm guessing this will be a lot of awesome build-up, great atmosphere, interesting characters and then ... a stupid-as-fuck supernatural explanation, that turns all previous excitement into disappointment
Old 01-14-20, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Folks should keep in mind that The Outsider exists in the Mr. Mercedes, Finders Keepers, and End of Watch universe. The Outsider is sort of the cousin to that series in that there may be some elements from that trilogy, including a character from the previews shown, in this series.

Old 01-18-20, 01:06 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
First TWO episodes air tonight.
I didnt know that so actually watched second episode thinking it was the first one. It actually was still easy to follow and I thought they would reveal more of the investigation as the show went on but then I noticed that my DVR said I had watched Episode 2.

Didn't really affect my enjoyment it worked pretty well actually out of order.
Old 01-19-20, 06:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This was pretty solid, looking forward to see where it goes, not familiar with the king story at all...
Old 01-21-20, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I read the book, but I have a terrible memory. I keep remembering what happens right before it happens on the show. Keeps it semi-fresh anyway I guess.
Old 01-21-20, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I am liking it so far. Has certainly a similar feel to The Night Of. Clearly things have picked up since Erivo's character was added in Ep 3. I am curious to see where this goes.

How many episodes is this?
Edit : I see now. 10 Episodes. Wow, that is a lot more ground to cover for a show that already feels kinda slow. Hope the content can keep up a decent enough pace.
I read that Erivo's Character only shows up after the halfway mark in the book and they brought her in earlier in the series to liven things up.
Old 01-21-20, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was another tense episode. I'm not clear on the jail stuff that we were shown and assume that we just don't have all the details yet. I gathered that the guy who slit his own throat had killed a couple of kids at some point. I don't understand how it ties in to the Maitland case, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.