Reload this Page >

Deputy (FOX) -- S: Stephen Dorff -- From EP David Ayer -- Premieres 1/2/20

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-02-20, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,423 Posts

From director/executive producer David Ayer ("Training Day," "End of Watch," "Suicide Squad"), DEPUTY brings the spirit of a classic Western and a gritty authenticity to the modern cop drama. When the Los Angeles County's Sheriff dies, an arcane rule forged back in the Wild West thrusts the most unlikely man into the job: a fifth-generation lawman (Stephen Dorff, "True Detective"), more comfortable taking down bad guys than navigating a sea of politics, who won't rest until justice is served. DEPUTY also stars Yara Martinez ("Jane the Virgin," "The Tick"), Brian Van Holt ("Cougar Town"), Danielle Moné Truitt ("Snowfall"), Bex Taylor-Klaus ("13 Reasons Why"), Shane Paul McGhie ("Unbelievable") and Mark Moses ("Desperate Housewives").

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Bex Taylor-Klaus as Breanna Bishop
· Brian Van Holt as Cade Ward
· Mark Moses as Jerry London
· Shane Paul McGhie as Joseph Blair
· Siena Goines as Rachel Delgado
· Stephen Dorff as Bill Hollister
· Yara Martinez as Paula Reyes

David Ayer directed the Pilot

The Pilot can be watched early right now on FOX.com, On demand and Hulu

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6hE4VJD4GPI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 01-02-20, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,947 Likes on 1,423 Posts
Re: Deputy (FOX) -- S: Stephen Dorff -- From EP David Ayer -- Premieres 1/2/20

I just watched this. I'm not sure how I feel about it. The tone felt off to me. Considering this is from the writer of Training Day, it really lacked edge and felt light in some parts. Considering this Pilot was shot 9-10 months ago, it might be one of those things where they haven't figured out the right tone yet. It might need an episode or two to gel.

Dorff was okay. I always felt like he was a low rent Kiefer Sutherland. It was funny when he was forced to become Sheriff, he fired that one deputy right away.

Casting felt a little off to me. Bex Taylor-Klaus is an odd choice to be his #1 deputy. And I always pictured Brian Van Holt as the goofy ex-husband from Cougar Town. Not some badass cop.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-04-20 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-03-20, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is he supposed to have some issue with ICE? I think that came up in the beginning, and then toward the end he calls off a raid. There’s 40 agents from what appeared to be different agencies all ready and set up and this new sheriff shows up and calls the whole thing off and tells everybody to go home.
Kinda doubt it works like that.

And is his new ‘bodyguard’ Bishop supposed to be some kind of major badass or something? She didn’t even appear to be wearing a vest, she’s not gonna last long going after gang and cartel members.

i don’t know, I’ll give it another shot but hope they snap up the story line considerably.
Old 01-03-20, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He dismissed the deputies. ICE is Federal so they could have still gone on the round up of illegals. They just wouldn't have the Sheriff Dept as backup. His little speech fits in nicely with LA County being a Sanctuary county in real life. It was odd that the Deputy Chief objected that they would lose millions of Federal dollars. The courts have already ruled that the money can't be withheld with some exceptions.

The 3 riding in on horseback against armed cartel members was ridiculous. They would have heard the horses coming, esp. at a gallop. His lesbian driver being portrayed as knowing how everything works is a little over the top. She would have picked up some knowledge having driven the previous Sheriff but not what they're presenting. Maybe at some point we'll see her partner and some bedroom scenes. With the way shows are going these days it's almost guaranteed.

The good news is he's only got 106 days so that should go quickly unless he wins the election which is doubtful.
Old 01-03-20, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

I liked this but agree it self off. You could tell it had a pilot vibe, it it felt very underbaked. They really should have focused the plot more and not tried to cram so many characters into the first episode, or at least had them show up but not service the plot so much. It detracted from focusing on the sherif, which I think would have done better had it gone into what was actually expected of him before he went riding off into a gun fight.

will check out a few more before deciding to keep or drop!
Old 01-05-20, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 164 Likes on 141 Posts

Superman, you are right that it would have been nice to learn a bit more about the Sheriff. Barley, I enjoyed the horse scene so I was happy to suspend my disbelief that they would not be able to sneak up on the cartel.
Old 01-05-20, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 716 Likes on 553 Posts

I did not know the pilot was up. Will watch tonight.
Old 01-05-20, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just finished it and it was a lot of fun. I like the girl that works for the Sheriff, she's pretty cool. I wish I could just binge the whole thing now.
Old 01-25-20, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just watched episode #4. Even better, Paola Nuñez from Bad Boys for Life makes an appearance.