Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Your Top Ten TV Shows of the Decade

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-20, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts
Re: Your Top Ten TV Shows of the Decade

Now thinking about it again, I should have included Fringe on my list. I wasn't quite sure when that show ran.
Old 01-03-20, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I never saw Fringe. I actually picked up the complete series blu-ray boxset a couple of years ago during the Best Buy pricing fiasco. Maybe I'll give that a whirl now.
Old 01-03-20, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I know it's supposed to get better, but I couldn't make it past the first season of Fringe, which I found dreadfully dull.
Old 01-03-20, 01:25 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I based my decisions on which shows I would watch first if I had a full DVR of good stuff to pick from. In order, sort of:

Battlebots -- Awesome nerdy violence where no one gets hurt.
Game of Thrones -- After the show caught up with the printed material, it got worse. Still...
The Leftovers -- Still speechless about this show.
Call the Midwife -- If you knew me, you wouldn't think I'd watch a show that glorifies religion and childbirth, but I cry during every episode.
Bunheads -- A shame It only lasted two seasons, but the combo of Amy Sherman-Palladino, Sutton Foster, and awesome dancing was terrific. Go to Youtube and search for Bunheads and see for yourself.
Parenthood -- I love me some Jason Katims.
Fringe -- It started in the 00's, but it didn't really get good until the 10's.
The Good Wife -- Such interesting characters and story lines.
Scandal -- What West Wing was for the 00's, Scandal was for the 10's. Must watch crazy town.
Hart of Dixie -- I call shows like this "Men in Trees" shows, after the Anne Heche TV show. A fish-out-of-water lead actress, surrounded by crazy and hilarious natives. I love them. See also Bunheads.

I left out Mad Men and Breaking Bad because I thought of them more as 00's shows. But there are many other shows that I liked almost as much as my top 10, including Legion, Mr. Robot, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Hell on Wheels, Halt and Catch Fire, Sherlock, This is Us, Downton Abbey, The Expanse, Glee.
Old 01-03-20, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Game of Thrones
Banshee
Strike Back
Fringe
This is Us
The Good Wife
O.J. Made in America: Yes it was only a mini series, but it was a damn good one
Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown: Yes, there were some dull episodes, but overall it was one of the best and smartest shows dealing with travel and other cultures
Person of Interest
Jane the Virgin: I know hardly anyone here watched it, but it was a great mix of comedy, drama and slapstick Mexican telenovela
Better Call Saul
Hannibal
Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Parenthood
Hannibal: Another great show that no one watched.
Bosch: A very underrated cop thriller.

There are plenty that I think are good or pretty good, but these are the ones off the top of my head, which provided quality entertainment consistently

Last edited by DJariya; 01-03-20 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-03-20, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Maybe I need to get back to Banshee. It was kinda fun for a few episodes but felt really campy and trashy to me.
​​
SteveA, Battle Bots is a bold choice but it debuted in 2000
Old 01-03-20, 01:48 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveA
Bunheads -- A shame It only lasted two seasons, but the combo of Amy Sherman-Palladino, Sutton Foster, and awesome dancing was terrific. Go to Youtube and search for Bunheads and see for yourself.
Even more of a shame is that it actually only lasted one season. It is streaming on Hulu.
Old 01-03-20, 02:29 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Fargo
The Leftovers
Parks & Rec
The Americans
American Crime Story (OJ & Versace)
Better Call Saul
The Knick
Justified
Old 01-03-20, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I know it's supposed to get better, but I couldn't make it past the first season of Fringe, which I found dreadfully dull.
That first season of Fringe is your generic Fox procedural monster-of-the-week. The producers took the training wheels off and turned Fringe after that into a heavily serialized mystery series ala X-Files. The last four seasons are compelling and some of the most interesting episodes that aired on network tv this decade.
Old 01-05-20, 12:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Babylon Berlin
Game of Thrones
Fargo
Expanse
Newsroom
Fringe
Dark
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Outlander
Old 01-05-20, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Twin Peaks
Fringe
Chuck
Grimm
Old 01-06-20, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
​​
SteveA, Battle Bots is a bold choice but it debuted in 2000
True. But does that disqualify it if one thinks the episodes aired in the last decade were some of the best on TV? For example, if you thought the reboot of Will & Grace was one of the best shows of the decade, would you rule it out because a version of it started running in the 90's? Or, if you thought the Simpsons was one of the best of the decade (and was on all 10 years of the decade), should it be disqualified because it also aired on the 80's, 90's, and 00's?

Also, I think the latest version of the show, a fight-night format followed by a tournament, plus behind the scenes interviews, etc. make it really a new, improved version. Especially with commentary by Chris Rose, who is hilarious.
Old 01-06-20, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
Even more of a shame is that it actually only lasted one season. It is streaming on Hulu.
Ah, you're right. Bunheads was on ABC Family, which would break up seasons and wait six months before showing the second half. I remembered it as two seasons because at the end of the "first" one, the Sutton Foster character left and went back to Las Vegas. But one or two seasons, there were only 18 episodes shot. Alas.
Old 01-06-20, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveA
True. But does that disqualify it if one thinks the episodes aired in the last decade were some of the best on TV? For example, if you thought the reboot of Will & Grace was one of the best shows of the decade, would you rule it out because a version of it started running in the 90's? Or, if you thought the Simpsons was one of the best of the decade (and was on all 10 years of the decade), should it be disqualified because it also aired on the 80's, 90's, and 00's?

Also, I think the latest version of the show, a fight-night format followed by a tournament, plus behind the scenes interviews, etc. make it really a new, improved version. Especially with commentary by Chris Rose, who is hilarious.
I agree, if the episodes/seasons were great in this past decade, then put it on the list. Which unfortunately disqualifies the Office entirely.

I think I'd have to include:
Game of Thrones
30 Rock
Community
Parks and Rec
The Good Place

but after that it gets murky. I think having kids influenced a lot of what I watched because I can easily fill the list with cartoons (Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Young Justice, Gravity Falls, Over the Garden Wall). Also recency bias and a love of superheroes would favor the Boys, Doom Patrol and Watchmen.

Some day I will finish Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and the Americans
Old 01-06-20, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101
It's in my top 4 shows ever and I don't like the 1st 9 episodes.
Old 01-06-20, 08:17 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

In no particular order:

The 100
Continuum
Fringe
Game of Thrones
Grimm
Stranger Things
Penny Dreadful
Once Upon a Time (through Season 6, Season 7 sucked)
The Walking Dead (through Season 6, got burned out on Negan, lost interest)
Westworld