Reload this Page >

The Golden Age of Opening Credits

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-30-19, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ars Technica Claim. Agree / Disagree? Additions / Subtractions?

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/...in-television/

Old 12-30-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Golden Age of Opening Credits

I know it was not the 2010's but, The Sopranos was when opening credit montage came to life for me. Hearing "Woke up this morning" was just perfect, Tony driving through NJ got me in the mood for the gangster show I was about to watch.

Of the list, Game of Thrones, did the same, it was perfect and would always get turned up loud.
Old 12-30-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,166 Likes on 906 Posts

I dunno, maybe it's because I watch a lot of cartoons, but I still prefer the 80s/90s with full catchy theme songs and the like. I see what they're saying, though, and I do appreciate a good opening, especially something like Game of Thrones which is not only cool but dynamic and changing.

The only mainstream network show that I saw on there was elementary, though, so the number of good title sequences may be more a product of having so much "tv" coming out now
Old 12-30-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I dunno, maybe it's because I watch a lot of cartoons, but I still prefer the 80s/90s with full catchy theme songs and the like. I see what they're saying, though, and I do appreciate a good opening, especially something like Game of Thrones which is not only cool but dynamic and changing.

The only mainstream network show that I saw on there was elementary, though, so the number of good title sequences may be more a product of having so much "tv" coming out now
Family Guy has that locked down. Not just the opening but the little musical transitions they use is so classic 70s/80s sitcom. Even my wife sings the theme when I watch it now
Old 12-30-19, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 756 Likes on 616 Posts

Guess I havenít seen a lot of the ones in the link. I expected the thread to be about classic show openings. For the most part it seems like something that shows donít do as much now days.
Old 12-30-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,166 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Guess I havenít seen a lot of the ones in the link. I expected the thread to be about classic show openings. For the most part it seems like something that shows donít do as much now days.
I probably don't watch a ton of network TV but I think a ton of them just have the title and a little five second overture and that's it. Fresh off the Boat is the only sitcom I can remember that has a full opening and that is probably just because of the 90's setting.

Mandalorian at least makes up for it with the closing, though.
Old 12-30-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 567 Likes on 424 Posts

I have absolutely no fucking idea what is supposed to be going on in the Star Trek: Discovery credits.
Old 12-30-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 643 Likes on 452 Posts

I love opening titles so I'm glad to see a bit of a resurgence into that art form after a decade or so of non-intros (or title cards with a few music notes).

That being said, what's with the praise of Stranger Things intro? The music carries it. The animation is as basic and boring as it comes.

Game of Thrones is hands down my favorite of this decade.
Old 12-30-19, 05:03 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts

Meanwhile every streaming service has the ubiquitous “Skip Intro” button.

I like Lost’s opening credits. Extremely simple.
Old 12-31-19, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 88 Posts

GoT was nice. The music, how it changed, how it laid out the map, it was all-around good stuff. That said, since I tend to binge-watch shows, I only want to see the opening credits once per season. For that reason, I still prefer shows that only have a title card.
Old 12-31-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 626 Likes on 489 Posts

Golden Age?? Are they freakin' serious? It's the WORST time of opening credits.

Back in the 70s, half of my 45s were TV show opening themes. Theme from "SWAT", Welcome Back Kotter, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, I know I'm missing a bunch. Too many shows today just drop the opening credits over the beginning of the show itself.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (12-31-19)
Old 12-31-19, 03:47 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts

Chips.
Old 12-31-19, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 896 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
I have absolutely no fucking idea what is supposed to be going on in the Star Trek: Discovery credits.

It's showing you aspects of the episode
Old 12-31-19, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 488 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post

Back in the 70s, half of my 45s were TV show opening themes. Theme from "SWAT", Welcome Back Kotter, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, I know I'm missing a bunch. Too many shows today just drop the opening credits over the beginning of the show itself.
I thought the claim was ridiculous as well. Shows have cut out theme songs and many shows have abbreviated credits at best for today's television.
Alan Smithee (01-01-20)
Old 12-31-19, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts

Those would be some nice 45s. I went looking for some recently and wound up with a shitty disco version of the I Love Lucy theme.
Old 12-31-19, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Definitely not the best(probably written by someone in their 20s). Early 00s would be the worst with the short title card intros (to cram in more commercials, thanks Frasier). I definitely think we're seeing a resurgence this decade. I'd put the 80s as worst with all the synth themes and cheesy pop theme songs. Huge caveat, I'd rank the Cheers theme as the greatest theme of all time.

I'd probably put the 90's towards to top with stuff like ER, NYPD: Blue, X-files, Friends, Seinfeld, Quantum Leap, Mad About You, the Simpsons, South Park, Fresh Prince, Law & Order, 90210, Animaniacs, That 70's Show, CSI (kind of a cheat), etc. It seemed like every show had a great theme.
Old 12-31-19, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

Received 325 Likes on 228 Posts

To each his own, and does probably somewhat meld with peoples age.. I'd probably put the 80s at or near the top.

Magnum PI, Transformers, GI Joe, Greatest American Hero, Cheers, Night Court, Dallas, A-Team, Night Rider, Dukes of Hazzard, Hill St Blues, MacGyver, ALF, Star Blazers, Inspector Gadget, Dynasty, Family Ties, Growing Pains, Coach

A lot of great ones in the 70s as well.

Last edited by The Cow; 12-31-19 at 11:33 PM.
PileOfFudge (01-02-20)
Old 12-31-19, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 657 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Meanwhile every streaming service has the ubiquitous ďSkip IntroĒ button.

I like Lostís opening credits. Extremely simple.
That's what bugs me about the Stranger Things intro, it's like an extended LOST one.
Old 01-01-20, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,391 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Opening credits have made a bit of a comeback with pay cable and streaming that don't have time considerations (ie, why do thirty seconds of credits when you can stick an another commercial?).

I'll give a shoutout to a lot of pay cable shows: Dexter, Shameless, Sopranos, Carnivale, Game of Thrones, Westworld.

American Horror Story also has some great credit sequences (which, by necessity, change every season).

And older, broadcast tv credits that were great: Cheers, All in the Family, Happy Days, Taxi, WKRP, Hill Street Blues, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits. Star Trek's credits were pretty basic, just the ship and starfield, but the theme music sold it.

And some non-US shows from back in the day: The Prisoner, Doctor Who, Monty Python's Flying Circus.

A good theme some and eye-catching credits can really set the mood for a tv show.
Old 01-01-20, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 258 Likes on 152 Posts

Babylon 5 is probably still my favorite series of intros. I like it evolves as the show does.
Old 01-01-20, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 351 Likes on 259 Posts

The things you guys get nostalgic for are bizarre. Other than the very first time I watch an episode of a show I would skip the credits every other time when given the option. Other than the credits that change like Game of Thrones.
Old 01-01-20, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 115 Likes on 81 Posts

Mission:Impossible
Hawaii Five-0
Night Gallery
Outer Limits
Dick Van Dyke Show - Every week Vegas bookies took bets on whether he'd trip or side step the ottoman.
Old 01-01-20, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
To each his own, and does probably somewhat meld with peoples age.. I'd probably put the 80s at or near the top.

Magnum PI, Transformers, GI Joe, Greatest American Hero, Cheers, Night Court, Dallas, A-Team, Night Rider, Dukes of Hazzard, Hill St Blues, MacGyver, ALF, Star Blazers, Inspector Gadget, Dynasty, Family Ties, Growing Pains, Coach

A lot of great ones in the 70s as well.
I grew up in the 80s and watched almost all of those shows. I'd still mark it as one of the worst decades for intros.
Old 01-01-20, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 161 Likes on 123 Posts

Still my all time favorite.
Old 01-01-20, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
Always remember 13 seconds in ...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.