Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Merry Happy Whatever (Netflix) S: Dennis Quaid, Ashley Tisdale, Bridgit Mendler -- premieres 11/28/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Merry Happy Whatever (Netflix) S: Dennis Quaid, Ashley Tisdale, Bridgit Mendler -- premieres 11/28/19

Old 11-27-19, 12:43 PM

Merry Happy Whatever follows Don Quinn (Dennis Quaid), a strong-willed patriarch from Philadelphia doing his best to balance the stress of the holidays with the demands of his close-knit but eclectic family — and his family doing their best to manage him. But when youngest daughter Emmy (Bridgit Mendler) arrives home from L.A. with a new boyfriend, struggling musician Matt (Brent Morin), Don’s belief that “there’s the Quinn way… and the wrong way" is put to the test.

From Emmy Award-winning creator Tucker Cawley (Everybody Loves Raymond), Merry Happy Whatever is a hilarious and heartwarming comedy that proves while family may not come wrapped up in a neat little bow, it sometimes can still be the greatest gift.
Old 11-27-19, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Merry Happy Whatever (Netflix) S: Dennis Quaid, Ashley Tisdale, Bridgit Mendler -- premieres 11/28/19

Watching that trailer I was excited to watch this for the holidays until 1. I realized it was a series and not a movie, and 2. That laugh track kicked in.

I do like Dennis Quaid and look forward to what he can do in a comedy though.
Old 11-27-19, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Merry Happy Whatever (Netflix) S: Dennis Quaid, Ashley Tisdale, Bridgit Mendler -- premieres 11/28/19

Looks decent but you aren't kidding about the laugh track. It's just a huge eye opener for a show made in 2019.
Old 11-28-19, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm understating it when I say that this looks horrible.
Old 11-28-19, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Will Quaid find his next wife with one of the girls who plays his daughters?
Old 11-28-19, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it's creepy now seeing him hugging his onscreen daughters.

The Ranch has a laugh track but you kinda get used to it the more you watch it. But the characters have to be engaging. Not too sure about this one.
Old 11-30-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I did not last 5 minutes, canned laugh track, cringeworthy stuff, straight out of a sitcom from 30+ years ago, how did this get green-lit?
Old 11-30-19, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post
... how did this get green-lit?
With everything Netflix has canceled the last 2 years and the upcoming losses of The Office, Friends and Marvel flicks they occasionally need the easy, token new thing to justify the continued price hikes.
Old 11-30-19, 09:00 PM

I like Quaid and the idea of him starring in a lame laughtrack sitcom seemed kinda sad. I watched the first episode to see how bad it was, but quickly got hooked and watched all of it over 2 days. It’s dumb, corny, but super Christmassy and occasionally pretty funny. Lots of mugging from Quaid. Some of the cast is awful but others are decent. I don’t know if I’d watch a non-Christmas holiday season (as is speculated for future seasons) but I thoroughly enjoyed this, to my surprise.
Old 12-02-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's fine for what it is. It's not something I'd go out of my way to watch.