DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Movies That Made Us (Netflix) -- docuseries -- premieres 11/29/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/649201-movies-made-us-netflix-docuseries-premieres-11-29-19-a.html)

dex14 11-27-19 11:38 AM

The Movies That Made Us (Netflix) -- docuseries -- premieres 11/29/19

These blockbusters brought us together and gave us the time of our lives. Meet the actors, directors and industry insiders who made them happen.

The first season of “The Movies That Made Us” will cover:

Die Hard
Home Alone
Dirty Dancing
Ghostbusters

Brack 11-27-19 11:58 AM

Re: The Movies That Made Us (Netflix) -- docuseries -- premieres 11/29/19

From The Toys That Made Us folks? I’ll check it out.

dex14 11-27-19 12:29 PM

Yes.

OldBoy 11-27-19 04:54 PM

holy shit!! where'd this come from and why are we only learning about now? fuck yeah!!

dex14 11-27-19 06:16 PM

It was mentioned weeks back in the The Toys That Made Us thread.

TomOpus 11-29-19 03:50 PM

Series starts off with a bang with Dirty Dancing. Lots of good stuff for a cheap movie that almost didn't get made.

MLBFan24 11-30-19 09:35 PM

I watched the Die Hard episode first. I enjoyed it.

I was hesitant in the beginning, thinking it’s another behind-the-scenes documentary, but I learned a lot of stuff I didn’t know.

It was a fun episode and now looking forward to the other ones.

OldBoy 11-30-19 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 13648268)
I watched the Die Hard episode first. I enjoyed it.

I was hesitant in the beginning, thinking it’s another behind-the-scenes documentary, but I learned a lot of stuff I didn’t know.

It was a fun episode and now looking forward to the other ones.

See I want to see this first as well, but with all the clips and stuff shown, think it would be better to watch movie first. And then this as making of extra after...

Mabuse 12-01-19 10:54 AM

You’ve never seen Die Hard?

OldBoy 12-01-19 01:22 PM

it happens to be my #1 favorite movie of all-time. i want to see it again before i watch the show...

MLBFan24 12-01-19 01:27 PM

In the Die Hard episode, I didn’t like the blooper references.

I have this weird issue where I avoid reading about bloopers. Because once I know about the blooper, that’s all I notice the next time I watch that scene in a movie.

DJariya 12-01-19 04:25 PM

Just finished watching the Dirty Dancing episode. It was pretty good. It was quite thorough on how the movie got developed, got pitched to the studios and rejected and how they cast the movie.

Jennifer Grey didn't participate. I'm assuming she felt like she talked about the movie enough over the years and recently on the BD that she didn't feel the need to say anymore.

The did get most of the creative team behind it including the writer, producer, choreographer and some of the people who worked at Vestron. Also, Swayze's widow talked a little on camera as well.

The screen test videos were hilarious. I had no idea that Billy Zane was up for the role of Johnny and his tests were so hammy. :lol:

Bill Needle 12-01-19 04:45 PM

We watched the Dirty Dancing and Home Alone episodes. It was entertaining and a lot more focused on the behind-the-scenes stuff than I expected, which was actually kind of nice since many other shows have already covered the movies themselves to death.

MLBFan24 12-01-19 07:01 PM

Watched the Home Alone one today. I basically didn’t know any backstory about how this movie was made, so I thought it was great.

Gunde 12-02-19 06:30 AM

So Bruce Willis shows up for one crappy DTV flick after another, but can't be bothered to talk just a little about the movie that made him?

Rival11 12-02-19 07:09 AM

The Die Hard one was excellent, McTiernan's personality is hilarious.

Superman07 12-02-19 09:16 PM

Watched Dirty Dancing. It was quite interesting, although the production values come off as super cheap as compared to the Toy’s series. I guess CNN’s The Movies set a high bar.

Anhway, found it very interesting Grey didn’t participate. I did like learning about the production process and the defunct Vestron. A little sad how that turned out - seemed like the main producer hosed them. However, I leave that to the company for not negotiating a better deal.

I had no clue the lake was all dried up now (although I think it may have been a reservoir).

Also, crazy it’s been 10 years since Swazye passed away!

TomOpus 12-02-19 10:58 PM

Saw the Home Alone segment. Amazing that the movie was going to get shut down due to budget overrun so another studio took over. WB's loss but Fox's HUGE gain.

robin2099 12-03-19 09:35 AM

Binged all four the weekend they came out overall I enjoyed it and would be up for another season as long as it does not interfere with another season of Toys.

Home Alone: Most interesting part was how Warner Brothers had it and shut down production due to the budget running over, and how they basically did some shady dealings with Fox to get it made. Also liked how they addressed how this was really the last great thing John Hughes did and how it started his downfall.

Dirty Dancing: Thought this was the best one by far. The story of how hard it was to get made, how Swayze initially did not want to do it, the director of the movie screwing up the pitch meeting, it was just a lot of good stuff. Didn't know there was a marker in tribute to Swayze at the filming location either.

Ghostbusters: Good background on it. My favorite part was how when Ramis was dying Murray showed up at the local police station to find out where he lived. Also liked Reitman and Aykroyd going to the old shooting locations.

Die Hard: Lots of good stuff again, about how Bruce Willis became the highest paid actor in Hollywood despite two flops, how audiences laughed and booed Willis in the trailer there was some entertaining stuff in it.
So yeah I enjoyed this overall and hope we get another round. I do think one thing that helped them though was that they couldn't get any of the stars(Willis, Grey, Caulkin or Murray) with the exception of Aykroyd which helps focus on the people behind the scenes that you usually don't hear about.

dex14 12-03-19 09:40 AM

I found it incredibly interesting that the gorgeous house set from Home Alone was built in a high school gym. :lol:

Mabuse 12-03-19 10:38 AM

That was a Hughes concept. The Breakfast Club was all shot on a set in a high school gym, possibly the same school. Perhaps even more interesting was that they filmed the flooding basement in the high school pool!

Shannon Nutt 12-05-19 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 13648483)
In the Die Hard episode, I didn’t like the blooper references.

I have this weird issue where I avoid reading about bloopers. Because once I know about the blooper, that’s all I notice the next time I watch that scene in a movie.

:lol: Thirty years I've been watching Die Hard and I NEVER noticed that about the ambulance before. Now I'll never be able to NOT see it. Thanks a lot, Movies That Made Us!

Mabuse 12-05-19 10:41 AM

Everybody already knew about the ambulance.

Jack Straw 12-06-19 02:24 AM

Really glad that I clicked on this thread. I have Netflix but wasn't really sure what this show was about (didn't click through, etc.). Based on the positive comments, I will be checking out 3 of the 4 episodes now up. Don't really care about D/D. May/May not report back based on my mileage. Thanks.

dex14 12-10-19 12:56 PM

'The Movies That Made Us' Creator Brian Volk-Weiss Reveals 12 Movies He Wants to Cover in Future Episodes (Exclusive)
https://popculture.com/streaming/201...ture-episodes/