DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Reprisal (Hulu) -- S: Abigail Spencer -- premieres 12/6/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/649036-reprisal-hulu-s-abigail-spencer-premieres-12-6-19-a.html)

dex14 11-05-19 12:44 PM

Reprisal (Hulu) -- S: Abigail Spencer -- premieres 12/6/19

<iframe width="692" height="389" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0KHLfGI9vgU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="692" height="389" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_DuNIbAisAs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She's coming to collect. Reprisal is a hyper-noir story that follows a relentless femme fatale who, after being left for dead, sets out to take revenge against her brother and his bombastic gang of gearheads. Reprisal premieres December 6 on Hulu.
This looks cool.

Cellar Door 11-06-19 04:37 PM

Re: Reprisal (Hulu) -- S: Abigail Spencer -- premieres 12/6/19

I like Abigail Spencer, so I'll check this out.

RichC2 11-06-19 04:49 PM

Rockabilly noir? Sure I'm in.

dex14 12-06-19 09:19 AM

This is up today.

Geofferson 12-06-19 10:32 AM

Trailer looks awesome. Am in as well :up:

Cellar Door 12-06-19 10:37 AM

Dang, there's a lot of stuff I want to see coming out on the streaming services this month. I'll be watching this, but I'm not sure when.

RichC2 12-07-19 10:27 AM

Watched the first episode, it's corny but not boring. Some brutal scenes mixed in.
​​​​​​

cowtown 12-07-19 05:39 PM

The casting is weird to me. Like they could only select from frat boys attending west-coast schools or something. I really like Spencer from seeing her in Rectify, though, and I'll watch a few.

greydttwo 12-08-19 07:00 PM

Started binging today - wow, really enjoying it. The whole tone is some weird alternate reality where the 1950s and modern day is in some weird mish mash. Add in noir & heist elements + shades of “The Warriors” and “Pulp Fiction” + twist and turns, and it’s been an interesting watch so far. It’s a slow burn punctuated by occasional brutal violence. It’s does drag out reveals and I have a feeling those who need quicker resolution of plot lines will likely hate the pacing of this show. Really liking Abigail Spencer in her role in this.

It also feels like there’s potentially a sci-fi aspect hinted, but I’m less than halfway through so it’s just a guess.

Cellar Door 01-18-20 11:06 PM

I'm four episodes in now and I am liking it a lot. Abigail Spencer is great--it's hard to tell how much her character has deviously planned things and how much she is winging it. The show has a stylish look to it. The supporting cast is good, with several familiar faces.

Cellar Door 01-25-20 08:30 PM

Just finished the season. I liked it and would watch another season. It's not perfect--some of the fighting is kinda cartoonish and people's actions and motivations don't always seem realistic--but it does a good job of setting up a eomplex web of conflict between many different characters. The end of the season offers some resolution, but also leaves some things open so that there is certainly more story to tell with these characters.

Originally Posted by greydttwo (Post 13652032)
Started binging today - wow, really enjoying it. The whole tone is some weird alternate reality where the 1950s and modern day is in some weird mish mash. Add in noir & heist elements + shades of “The Warriors” and “Pulp Fiction” + twist and turns, and it’s been an interesting watch so far. It’s a slow burn punctuated by occasional brutal violence. It’s does drag out reveals and I have a feeling those who need quicker resolution of plot lines will likely hate the pacing of this show. Really liking Abigail Spencer in her role in this.

It also feels like there’s potentially a sci-fi aspect hinted, but I’m less than halfway through so it’s just a guess.

This--the potential sci-fi aspect--has me intrigued. They show the same 'hint' a few times, including at the very end of the season, but it doesn't seem to be relevant to the story at all. Like you said, the world of this show is like an alternate reality with a mix-up of different aesthetics and technologies. But if that has anything to do with the... phenomenon (?) going on at the pole, they haven't made it clear.

Cellar Door 06-18-20 04:29 AM

Well, damn, I just saw that this has been canceled, so there will not be another season.

d2cheer 06-18-20 07:47 AM

Does the first one wrap up? That will depend on if I watch it or not.

Dan1boy 06-18-20 10:48 AM

I feel really bad for Abigail Spencer. She's such a great actress, fantastic in "Timeless" and "Rectify" but she can't seem to land a show that sticks with audiences.