DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Equalizer starring... Queen Latifah (CBS) - premieres 2/7/21 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/649028-equalizer-starring-queen-latifah-cbs-premieres-2-7-21-a.html)

dex14 11-04-19 12:44 PM

The Equalizer starring... Queen Latifah (CBS) - premieres 2/7/21

CBS has given a pilot production commitment to The Equalizer, a reimagining of the classic series with Queen Latifah set to star and executive produce. The project hails from Take Two creators Andrew Marlowe & Terri Miller, Davis Entertainment, Flavor Unit, Martin Chase Productions, Universal Television and CBS TV Studios.

Written by Marlowe and Miller, who will serve as showrunners, The Equalizer stars Queen Latifah as an enigmatic figure who uses her extensive skills to help those with nowhere else to turn. This is a new take on the character played by Edward Woodward on the original series and by Denzel Washington in the movie franchise.

Marlowe and Miller executive produce alongside John Davis and John Fox of Davis Entertainment; Debra Martin Chase of Martin Chase Productions; Richard Lindheim, co-creator of the original Equalizer TV series; and Queen Latifah (real name Dana OWens) and Shakim Compere of Flavor Unit.

This marks The Equalizer‘s return to CBS. The original TV series, which Lindheim co-created with Michael Sloan, aired on the network for four seasons from 1985 to 1989. It starred Woodward as Robert McCall, a retired intelligence agent with a mysterious past, who uses the skills from his former career to exact justice on behalf of innocent people who are trapped in dangerous circumstances.

The series was adapted as a feature in 2014. The film, directed by Antoine Fuqua and starring Washington as Robert McCall, was a hit and spawned a sequel.

Universal Television produced the original Equalizer series, while Sony did the features. Mounting an Equalizer reboot had been a priority for Universal TV for the past four years. There had been multiple attempts though dealmaking had proven difficult in the past.

This time, Uni TV employed some of its top producers, Davis Entertainment and Chase, to help bring the iconic title back to TV.

Owens is repped by UTA, Randi Michel at Flavor Unit and attorney Stu Levy.

Marlowe was the creator, executive producer and showrunner of ABC’s long-running crime drama Castle, on which Miller was executive producer. Most recently, the pair created and ran ABC’s summer show Take Two.

Davis Entertainment also has an Erin Brockovich-Inspired drama Rebel, with Krista Vernoff, at ABC via Sony TV with a put pilot commitment.
https://deadline.com/2019/11/the-equ...H44PAhTsPr96ik

DJariya 11-04-19 12:49 PM

re: The Equalizer starring... Queen Latifah (CBS) - premieres 2/7/21

I saw that breaking news headline and I was like WTF?

If you're going to make The Equalizer a TV series again and use a woman as the lead, I wouldn't have even remotely considered Queen Latifah. But, it sounds like her production company has a stake in it.

Mike86 11-04-19 02:12 PM

Ummm okay I guess.. I really enjoyed the two films with Denzel Washington a lot. Seems bizarre to do this as a series with Queen Latifah.

candyrocket786 11-04-19 02:28 PM

Helllllllll No!!!

TheMovieman 11-04-19 03:34 PM

Pass.

E Unit 11-04-19 04:02 PM

Ursula? Really?

Eric F 11-04-19 08:19 PM

I give it 7 episodes.

Kurt D 11-04-19 08:37 PM

I have no doubt The Queen could do a good job.

Original Desmond 11-05-19 06:45 AM

Jesus H Christ ! what a terrible idea

DJariya 01-27-20 11:29 PM

Officially ordered to Pilot by CBS.

And surprisingly this is from the creators of Castle. It doesn't mean the show is picked up. They are shooting a 1 hour pilot this Spring and it's in consideration for next season.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/the-equ...er-1202843350/

DJariya 05-08-20 12:07 PM

Officially picked up to series:

https://deadline.com/2020/05/the-equ...bs-1202929786/

DJariya 05-08-20 12:18 PM

https://deadline.com/2020/05/chris-n...bs-1202929827/

and Chris Noth has signed on as the co-lead.

morriscroy 05-08-20 12:26 PM

Hmmm ......

Wonder if Noth's character will resemble an older Logan as depicted in Law & Order: Criminal Intent. Not so much the hothead Logan from the first five seasons of the original Law & Order.

Shannon Nutt 05-08-20 01:45 PM

I want to scream "awful idea" - but considering CBS has managed to find an audience for the awful reboot of Magnum PI and the even more awful reboot of MacGyver, I'll just keep my mouth shut. ;)

DJariya 12-03-20 02:15 PM

The Equalizer's series premiere is getting the post Super Bowl timeslot.

Mike86 12-03-20 02:34 PM

I’d be much more interested in a third film with Denzel.

dex14 01-09-21 05:57 PM

devilshalo 01-10-21 12:37 AM

I dunno.. I see her 'action' being as laughably bad as Taraji in Proud Mary. :shrug:

DWilson 01-10-21 02:16 AM

Though from what I've read, this will be more of an ensemble piece, -much like every CBS drama, -than either the original series or the movie version.

philo 01-10-21 04:58 AM

Like everything on CBS it'll probably run 10 years without me watching a single ep.

Mike86 01-10-21 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by philo (Post 13871957)
Like everything on CBS it'll probably run 10 years without me watching a single ep.

I was thinking that as well honestly. :lol:

It feels like it’ll be the typical CBS procedural type show with a bit more action.

candyrocket786 01-10-21 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by DWilson (Post 13871928)
Though from what I've read, this will be more of an ensemble piece, -much like every CBS drama, -than either the original series or the movie version.

I'm really starting to hate these team-based shows. Same type of crap ruined most of the CW Arrowverse shows.

I'll be pissed if they give Superman a team .

Eric F 01-10-21 05:40 PM

Except this show stars a black woman so it might not have the same elderly white audience shows like JAG, Blue Bloods, NCIS, etc, has...

marka351 01-10-21 06:33 PM

Not all the CBS shows are bad, there are a few exceptions, I rather liked "Person of Interest". But I will admit I have no great desire to watch this and when I do I will be comparing it and her to Edward Woodward and I think it will be completely different.

d2cheer 01-13-21 11:53 AM

Same here the preview for this made me laugh uncontrollably at her trying to be a "badass".