Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

‘Green Lantern’ Series in the Works at HBO Max From Greg Berlanti

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-29-19, 06:20 PM

Received 1,069 Likes on 728 Posts

WarnerMedia has announced a new live-action Green Lantern series executive producer Greg Berlanti calls "our biggest DC show ever made." That Green Lantern project is one of three new DC Comics-based shows coming exclusively to the HBO Max streaming platform.

The news comes out of a presentation at WarnerMedia's HBO Max presentation. WarnerMedia has yet to reveal a name for the Green Lantern project, describing it only as a "Green Lantern inspired series." Whether that implies the series will deviate from the traditional Green Lantern mythology or focus on characters other than traditional protagonists like Hal Jordan or John Stewart remains to be seen.

We do know the series will be overseen by Greg Berlanti's Berlanti Productions, raising the question of whether the series might be connected to the Arrowverse, or Berlanti's DC Universe shows, which include Titans and Doom Patrol. Arrow fans have long speculated David Ramsey's character John Diggle may actually be the Arrowverse's version of John Stewart. An Arrow: Season 7 episode already acknowledged that fan theory, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that this "Green Lantern inspired series" could wind up being an Arrow spinoff.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10...-greg-berlanti

Yes, we have a DC streaming service, but we aren't putting it on there!

Last edited by dex14; 10-29-19 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-29-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: ‘Green Lantern’ Series in the Works at HBO Max From Greg Berlanti

I'm done with the Arrowverse, but this sounds interesting, especially in regards to it being on HBO Max rather than The CW. I just hope it isn't part of the Arrowverse.
Old 10-29-19, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Yes, we have a DC streaming service, but we aren't putting it on there!
Yeah, RIP DC streaming service. I think they said they have multiple DC properties that they're developing for HBO Max too.
Old 10-29-19, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

I was going to get HBO Max anyway (b/c I already have HBO so why I wouldn't get the extra content for the same price), but this is a nice add-on. HBO Max will have more prestige than the CW so presumably they will have a bigger budget so hopefully this doesn't fall into the same tropes as all the other Berlanti superhero shows. One would think there would be shorter seasons which would help.
Old 10-30-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Yeah, this is more my style. Hopefully will have the same tone as Doom Patrol and Titans.
Old 10-30-19, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 384 Likes on 297 Posts

Don’t understand why this wouldn’t go to DC Universe. Unless it’s being rolled into HBO Max at some point.
Old 10-30-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 558 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Don’t understand why this wouldn’t go to DC Universe. Unless it’s being rolled into HBO Max at some point.
Warners should just consolidate all of their streaming content into a single service that would include DC, HBO, and whatever else they have. There are already too many of these out now (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Apple, Hulu, All Access); there's not need for a media conglomerate to have three.

Old 10-30-19, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Warners should just consolidate all of their streaming content into a single service that would include DC, HBO, and whatever else they have. There are already too many of these out now (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Apple, Hulu, All Access); there's not need for a media conglomerate to have three.
Oh I agree for sure. In fact I said way back when DC Universe was announced that it was too niche and that a WB streaming service made more sense. Of course though what did I know because I was just a DC hater.
Old 10-30-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Finally! I've been saying for 20 years that DC needs to have live action shows on HBO. With this and Watchmen my prayers have been answered.
Old 10-30-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Oh I agree for sure. In fact I said way back when DC Universe was announced that it was too niche and that a WB streaming service made more sense. Of course though what did I know because I was just a DC hater.
No. Not a "just" a DC hater. THE DC Hater

But I digress. The Niche part isn't killing DCU, it's the lack of content. I see tons of folks wanting DCU from all over the world. But I also see people, like many here, who are dumping it because it doesn't have enough on it for them in relation to the cost. Makes sense. You've seen the thread, everyone saying they're dumping DCU due to a lack content, NOT because it's "Too DC".

If DCU had loaded up content, even shitty content no one will watch, like Disney +... AND if ATT, who kinda seem like they care about the DC part of TW...but not really...hadn't bought out the parent company, DCU would probably have a bright future. But right now...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-30-19 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-30-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 836 Likes on 625 Posts

Since Arrow is ending, I think they should look into maybe casting David Ramsey as John Stewart. Some nerds online have thought that his character on Arrow was Stewart.

He would be perfect and he's already connected to Berlanti.
Old 10-30-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
No. Not a "just" a DC hater. THE DC Hater

But I digress. The Niche part isn't killing DCU, it's the lack of content. I see tons of folks wanting DCU from all over the world. But I also see people, like many here, who are dumping it because it doesn't have enough on it for them in relation to the cost. Makes sense. You've seen the thread, everyone saying they're dumping DCU due to lack content, NOT because it's "Too DC".

If DCU had loaded up content, even shitty content no one will watch, like Disney +... AND if ATT, who kinda seems they care about the DC part of TW...but not really...hadn't bought out the parent company, DCU would probably have a bright future. But right now...
I’ll give DC Universe credit. Despite the lack of content I do like the shows on there. Hopefully it DC Universe goes away then shows like Titans and Doom Patrol transition to HBO Max (I assume).
Old 10-30-19, 02:51 PM

Of course though what did I know because I was just a DC hater.
I think I've seen you sarcastically call yourself that more than anyone actually has.
Old 10-30-19, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I’ll give DC Universe credit. Despite the lack of content I do like the shows on there. Hopefully it DC Universe goes away then shows like Titans and Doom Patrol transition to HBO Max (I assume).
Doom Patrol is already shared between Max and DC Universe.
Old 10-30-19, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 198 Posts

Looking forward to this. Luckily HBO Max isn't launching in Canada, so this will be on our regular HBO streaming service.
Old 10-30-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 836 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Looking forward to this. Luckily HBO Max isn't launching in Canada, so this will be on our regular HBO streaming service.
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...b066da552a0c68

It's coming to Canada via Crave TV. I assume that's what your talking about?
Old 10-30-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I think I've seen you sarcastically call yourself that more than anyone actually has.
The monicker maybe, but many have definitely said as much in different ways. Granted I was more for a while, but rightly so during the period where they made a series of shit decisions.
Old 10-30-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Since Arrow is ending, I think they should look into maybe casting David Ramsey as John Stewart. Some nerds online have thought that his character on Arrow was Stewart.

He would be perfect and he's already connected to Berlanti.
Almost no chance of that happening despite the Berlanti connection. The executives at HBO will have final say over casting and it's highly unlikely they'd go with Ramsey.

I do think Ramsey would make a good John Stewart, but I'm almost certain they will go with a younger actor.
Old 10-30-19, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

With Berlanti involved this show could go either way. I'm hoping with it being on HBO it will have a harder tone than his CW shows.

At least it should have a bigger budget.
Old 10-30-19, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...b066da552a0c68

It's coming to Canada via Crave TV. I assume that's what your talking about?
Yep, in Canada HBO's streaming (and live TV) service is a $10 CAD monthly add on to Crave TV (which costs $10 per month itself) and it was just announced that the Warner produced shows that will be exclusive to HBO Max will be offered as part of Crave's normal HBO service for no extra charge in Canada. We never got DC Universe up here either, most of the DCU and CW DC shows are either on Crave or Netflix Canada.
Old 10-31-19, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

I’d bet money that Titans, Doom Patrol, etc. will end up moving to this, but DCU will remain, just downgraded to a streaming comics service. Now that they can finally compete with Marvel Unlimited in the digital market, I don’t see them giving that up.
Old 01-16-20, 07:38 AM

HBO Max Head of Original Content Sarah Aubrey revealed to the TCA press corps some details about Greg Berlanti’s upcoming Green Lantern series for the soon-to-launch streaming service.

“It’s going to span several decades on focus on two stories about Green Lanterns on Earth” as well as one in space “going into the Sinestro story,” said the programming boss Wednesday. Sinestro is a former Green Lantern Corps member who was dishonorably discharged for abusing his power. He is the archenemy of Hal Jordan and founder of the Sinestro Corps.

Berlanti co-wrote the Martin Campbell-directed 2011 feature film, but at a cost of $200 million, the pic was a flop grossing just under $220M worldwide. Sinestro in the movie was played by Mark Strong.
https://deadline.com/2020/01/green-l...ca-1202831967/
Old 01-16-20, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts

Well Hal is a given, but now I wonder which other GL it will follow. My guess would be an Alan Scott storyline set in the past, and a modern day Hal Jordan storyline. I still think Arrow’s John Diggle will eventually become the John Stewart GL on the Arrowverse, so that character probably wouldn’t be used here. Guy Gardner could be fun in small doses, but that character has the kind of personality that would get old fast if he was the main protagonist. He’d work best as a recurring guest character. The less said about Kyle Rayner the better...

I’m sure there’s other characters since Kyle, but he was the current GL when I quit collecting, so I’m not up to date on the canon. I do vaguely remember him having a girlfriend named Jade that had green skin. She wasn’t a Green Lantern, but had some sort of connection to the mythology.

Assuming this show actually happens and does well, what do y’all think the chances are of a version of the “Emerald Twilight” story where Hal
Spoiler:
goes insane after the destruction of Coast City, becoming the villain Parallax? I guess they’s almost have to use Kyle if they ever adapt that story.
Old 01-16-20, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Could be interesting.
Old 01-16-20, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Well Hal is a given, but now I wonder which other GL it will follow. My guess would be an Alan Scott storyline set in the past, and a modern day Hal Jordan storyline. I still think Arrow’s John Diggle will eventually become the John Stewart GL on the Arrowverse, so that character probably wouldn’t be used here. Guy Gardner could be fun in small doses, but that character has the kind of personality that would get old fast if he was the main protagonist. He’d work best as a recurring guest character. The less said about Kyle Rayner the better...

I’m sure there’s other characters since Kyle, but he was the current GL when I quit collecting, so I’m not up to date on the canon. I do vaguely remember him having a girlfriend named Jade that had green skin. She wasn’t a Green Lantern, but had some sort of connection to the mythology.

Assuming this show actually happens and does well, what do y’all think the chances are of a version of the “Emerald Twilight” story where Hal
Spoiler:
goes insane after the destruction of Coast City, becoming the villain Parallax? I guess they’s almost have to use Kyle if they ever adapt that story.
Jade is Alan Scott's daughter, along with her twin brother Obsidian (though they have completely different power sets, she basically has GL like powers and green skin, he has shadow powers); they were first featured in Infinity Inc., which was basically the JSA's (of Earth 2's) kids.

Alan Scott is usually not thought of as a member of the GL corps, though I know they've tied the Starheart or whatever it is that powered him into the Guardians. So it'll be interesting to see if they actually do tie him in.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.