Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

‘Green Lantern’ Series in the Works

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-20, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
re: ‘Green Lantern’ Series in the Works

I need to read up on all that. I knew that Alan Scott was different than the other Lanterns, but was never sure why that was.
Old 10-09-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Officially picked up to series at HBO Max. 10 episodes ordered.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/gre...ax-1234798860/

HBO Max has given out a series order to “Green Lantern,” Variety has learned.

Based on the DC Comics property, the show was first announced as being in development last year. Plot details are now available for the first time, however. The show will depict the adventures of a multitude of Lanterns, including Guy Gardner, Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz and Alan Scott — Earth’s first Green Lantern, who, true to the comics, is a gay man — and many more. The series will also include fan favorites such as Sinestro and Kilowog, and will also introduce new heroes to the ranks of the Green Lantern Corps.

HBO Max has ordered 10 one-hour episodes. The series will be co-written and executive produced by Seth Grahame-Smith and Marc Guggenheim, with Grahame-Smith serving as showrunner. Berlanti Productions will produce in association with Warner Bros. Television, where Berlanti is under a rich overall deal.

Grahame-Smith is a novelist and screenwriter, whose onscreen credits include “The Lego Batman Movie” and “Dark Shadows.” He also wrote the novels that served as the basis for the films “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter” and “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies,” having also written the screenplay for the former. He was also an producer on the two recent “IT” movies and on the reboot of “Child’s Play.”

He is repped by Ziffren Brittenham.

DC fans will no doubt already be very familiar with Guggenheim, who in addition to working as a comic book writer, has written multiple DC projects for both film and television. He co-created and served as showrunner on the hit CW series “Arrow” as well as “Legends of Tomorrow.” He also co-wrote the 2011 “Green Lantern” film starring Ryan Reynolds.

He is repped by Syndicate Entertainment.

This is the latest DC show set up at HBO Max, with the streamer leaning heavily into the DC Comics IP controlled by parent company WarnerMedia. It was recently announced James Gunn is working on a series spinoff of his “Suicide Squad” film with John Cena attached to star. It was announced in July that Matt Reeves and Terrence Winter had received a series commitment from the streamer to create a series about the Gotham PD. The series is meant to tie in to the upcoming Batman film starring Robert Pattinson.

Other DC shows currently at HBO Max include “Harley Quinn,” “Doom Patrol,” and “Titans.” DC shows in development at the streamer include “Strange Adventures” and “Justice League Dark.”
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
Deftones (10-09-20), Giantrobo (10-09-20)
Old 10-09-20, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Nice. At this point i feel DC/ATT should ditch The CW and put all their DC shows on HBO Max
Old 10-09-20, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Nice. At this point i feel DC/ATT should ditch The CW and put all their DC shows on HBO Max
I had thought the reason a lot of these shows had leeway to avoid cancellation despite marginal ratings was the Netflix deal. I wonder what the status is now that these are going to Max.
Old 10-09-20, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
I had thought the reason a lot of these shows had leeway to avoid cancellation despite marginal ratings was the Netflix deal. I wonder what the status is now that these are going to Max.

That's what I've always heard as well. But among many things, "dropping ratings" did actually get mentioned when they announced that Sueprgirl is ending. Perhaps ATT has a new attitude towards the CW shows?
Old 10-09-20, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Does hbo max have plans to make their exclusive dc shows separate from the cw arrowverse?
Old 10-09-20, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Does hbo max have plans to make their exclusive dc shows separate from the cw arrowverse?
The DC Universe shows were technically separate from the Arrowverse despite the Berlanti connection (and I don't think Stargirl has been officially put in that universe either despite being on CW). In fact, despite the Doom Patrol debuting in the Titans show, those were set in two different universes (don't ask).

But they always have an out with the multiverse, since we saw a brief glimpse of Titans in Crisis, and obviously stuff like Smallville. If this show is set mainly in space maybe they keep it nebulous early on. I'd prefer this to be more HBO than CW, though, with a bigger budget or at least a budget spread out over less episodes (those green projections ain't gonna be cheap). I fear for what Stargirl Season 2 is going to look like.
Old 10-09-20, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Before AT&T took over, HBO was incredibly insular from the rest of the Time-Warner entertainment juggernaut. I'm guessing this HBO MAX Green Lantern series won't connect with the CW on any level. There are rumors it may be connected to Snyder's coming Justice League.
Old 10-09-20, 08:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

This should be good. Raised By Wolves surprised the hell out of me and most of HBO Max’s stuff has been good. My favorite new streaming service tttt.
Old 04-30-21, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (04-30-21)
Old 04-30-21, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I can see that.
Old 04-30-21, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Don't really know the guy. Wonder if he is going to get that awful bowl cut from the JL animated series.
IBJoel (05-03-21)
Old 04-30-21, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I only know him as playing creepos on American Horror Story, so it might be weird to see him playing a good guy.
Old 04-30-21, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

So with Guy as the lead is it going to be a comedy?
Old 04-30-21, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Guy Gardner is one of the "good guys" but he's still an asshole.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
Deftones (04-30-21), Giantrobo (04-30-21)
Old 04-30-21, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finn is great on AHS
Old 04-30-21, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Never watched anything Green Lantern related but with Finn in the role and it being streamed @HBOMax, definitely worth a viewing....
Old 04-30-21, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

One punch!
Old 05-01-21, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Don't really know the guy. Wonder if he is going to get that awful bowl cut from the JL animated series.
That bowl cut is an essential part of Guy's character, reflecting his "don't give a damn what others think" attitude.
Old 05-03-21, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

I've seen this guy in three movies and have know idea who he is. Could he pull off "jock douchebag" well?
Old 10-21-21, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Small update from the show runner, Seth Grahame-Smith.“Yeah, that show is gigantic. It has taken quite a bit of time to get to this point and it’s just a big, big undertaking. It’s going really well. All I can say is that it’s going really well and there are gonna be Green Lanterns in it, and it’s gonna be on HBO Max.

“I’ll admit, I wasn’t like a huge comic book kid. I was a huge movie kid. And so, my introduction to DC Comics came through the ‘89 Batman movie. When that movie came out, I was like, "Oh, my God, Batman is the coolest," and I started reading Batman comic books. But Green Lantern is something that, to be honest with you, just came to me later, by way of just talking about doing the show. The possibility of doing the show led me down a deep dive of Green Lantern lore. We’ll see. It’s gonna be awhile before the world gets to see that, but we are very, very busy at work, as we speak.”

https://screenrant.com/green-lantern...nner-response/

Old 10-21-21, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Sigh. DC Comics have a lot of great properties, but they continue to be too f**king stupid to utilize them. They won't take the Marvel approach. Let them grow gradually, take your time. DC is just like, "F**k this, let's go". No, that's a stupid approach. But I guess they'll always be content with being number two. They could let the franchises grow organically, or they can fuck up again by making another Justice League piece of s**t (and yeah, I'll even say that the Zack Snyder version really wasn't much better)...DC should launch a Flash film (without relying on Batman to carry it), a Green Lantern movie, hell, a Green Arrow movie, a Plastic Man movie...But, they are run by dumbasses, so they'll continually drive those properties into the ground...
Old 01-31-23, 11:17 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: ‘Green Lantern’ Series in the Works

“Lanterns”

Of all the TV series, Safran and Gunn seemed most excited for “Lanterns,” which Safran described as “a huge HBO-quality event” that is “very much in the vein of ‘True Detective.'”

The show will focus on two of the best known members of the Green Lantern corps.: Hal Jordan (the test pilot first played on screen by Ryan Reynolds in 2011’s “Green Lantern”) and John Stewart (an ex-marine and one of DC’s first Black superheroes), who investigate a mystery that Safran said “plays a really big role leading us into the main story that we’re telling across our film and television.”

“So this is a very important show for us,” Safran continued.

This project is separate from a Green Lantern series that was being developed by Greg Berlanti for HBO Max, which is now no longer moving forward.

“Greg’s vision was more of a space opera,” Safran said. “Our vision is much more ‘True Detective,’ terrestrial-based investigation story.”
Giantrobo (01-31-23)
Old 01-31-23, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I will say axing Berlanti from this gives me great hope. Move on from him. Give a new voice and fresh look to DCU characters.

Last edited by Deftones; 01-31-23 at 12:44 PM.
Giantrobo (01-31-23)
Old 01-31-23, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I like Berlanti, but agree we need a new vision.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.