Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Mrs. Fletcher (HBO) -- S: Kathryn Hahn -- C: Tom Perrotta -- premieres 10/27/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-27-19, 06:44 AM

Received 979 Likes on 661 Posts

<iframe width="704" height="396" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EzKu5JKrY6U" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Starring Kathryn Hahn (Emmy(R) nominee for "Transparent"; HBO's forthcoming "I Know This Much Is True") in the title role, MRS. FLETCHER, a seven-episode limited series debuting SUNDAY, OCT. 27 (10:30-11:00 p.m. ET/PT), is based on the bestselling novel of the same name by Tom Perrotta. The series is a dual coming-of-age story chronicling the personal and sexual journeys of an empty-nest mother and her college freshman son, who both embrace their newfound freedom with mixed results. The series is also available on HBO NOW, HBO GO, HBO On Demand and partners' streaming platforms. As the series begins, Eve Fletcher (Kathryn Hahn), a mid-40s single mom who works as the executive director of a senior center, drops her only child off at college and returns home to a very empty house. Meanwhile, Eve's son Brendan (Jackson White), a popular (though sometimes clueless) jock, finds college is a little more complicated than he expected and struggles to make connections with his more socially and politically aware fellow students. As mother and son find themselves alone for the first time, this sharp, provocative series navigates themes of parenthood, sexuality, love, and identity in a cultural moment when attitudes about gender and sex are evolving rapidly. The cast also includes Owen Teague, Katie Kershaw, Domenick Lombardozzi, Cameron Boyce, Jen Richards and Casey Wilson.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Cameron Boyce as Zack
· Casey Wilson as Jane Rosen
· Domenick Lombardozzi as George
· Jackson White as Brendan Fletcher
· Jasmine Cephas Jones as Chloe
· Jen Richards as Margo Fairchild
· Kathryn Hahn as Eve Fletcher
· Owen Teague as Julian Spitzer

CREW INFORMATION:
· Jessi Klein as EP
· Nicole Holofcener as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Sarah Condon as EP
· Tom Perrotta as BOOK/CRTR/EP

Last edited by dex14; 10-27-19 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-27-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Mrs. Fletcher (HBO) -- S: Kathryn Hahn -- C: Tom Perrotta -- premieres 10/27/19

Kathryn Hahn is a very funny lady.
However, the plot is a snoozer.
Old 10-28-19, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Mrs. Fletcher (HBO) -- S: Kathryn Hahn -- C: Tom Perrotta -- premieres 10/27/19

Enjoyed the book, for the most part (doesn't really wrap up in a satisfying way), and liked episode 1 last night. Hahn is perfect as Mrs. Fletcher. Perfect.
Old 10-29-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

so so pilot, but liked it enough to keep watching...
Old 11-05-19, 10:19 AM
Suspended

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Damn, don't mean to objectify, but Hahn has a rockin' bod!
Old 11-05-19, 10:25 AM

That scene in the grocery store was hot as fuck.
Old 11-06-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,338 Likes on 828 Posts

Pool scene wasn’t bad either.

Show is pretty interesting I guess. Wish the son wasn’t such a dick but I guess we will see where his story goes.

Having my daughter move away recently I related to the giant box of cereal story. I almost did the same thing a week after she moved away to college.
Old 11-07-19, 02:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The guy who plays the son, Jackson White, reminds me of somebody and I can't figure out who and it's bugging me. Something in his mouth and the slow way he talks. IMDB isn't any help, so it's probably not a different role that he played. Is he related to another actor? There's a little bit of Chris Pratt in him, but I don't think that's it. Anyone else get the same feeling?
Old 12-02-19, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 166 Likes on 121 Posts

According to the preview for next week's episode the show won't have a season 2 since it says "series finale". My wife and I have really been enjoying it and it sucks this will be it.
Old 12-03-19, 06:39 AM

Yes, it was advertised as a limited series. Though, we know that means not much to HBO if it actually was successful, which it wasn't (at least in comparison to BLL).
Old 12-06-19, 06:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J View Post
Enjoyed the book, for the most part (doesn't really wrap up in a satisfying way), and liked episode 1 last night. Hahn is perfect as Mrs. Fletcher. Perfect.
I agree Hahn is exactly who I imagined the Mrs. Fletcher character to look like!

Too bad, none of the rest of the cast fit as well. As for the unsatisfying ending Im curious why you felt that way. My dissatisfaction with the book's ending had more to do with the structure of the last chapter than how it actually ended. I hated how Perrotta started things off by saying you were at a wedding and then not revealing who was the spouse until after jumping around to other plot points but ultimately I was glad Eve ended up where she did. The only unsatisfying part for me was the personal growth of her son which never seemed to pay off. After she called him out about calling women 'bitches' there should have been a scene where the son breaks down and tells his Mom what happened at college but instead he ends up talking about how he is basically the same idiot we started the book with.
Old 12-10-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
As for the unsatisfying ending Im curious why you felt that way. My dissatisfaction with the book's ending had more to do with the structure of the last chapter than how it actually ended. I hated how Perrotta started things off by saying you were at a wedding and then not revealing who was the spouse until after jumping around to other plot points but ultimately I was glad Eve ended up where she did. The only unsatisfying part for me was the personal growth of her son which never seemed to pay off. After she called him out about calling women 'bitches' there should have been a scene where the son breaks down and tells his Mom what happened at college but instead he ends up talking about how he is basically the same idiot we started the book with.
It's been a while since I've read the book, but I remember being bummed out by several plot threads that fizzled out. Now that I've finished the TV series, I did think it was an interesting choice to have the son witness what the mom got up to. I'm still wrestling with how I feel about that. It makes the ending seem even more abrupt. Is that a good thing? Does it work? I don't know. It feels like we're cheated out of several confrontations. But is it OK to leave those to our imaginations? Maybe that's best, but I almost feel like that works for a book but not for a TV series. Feels unfinished. I agree with your point about the casting, and I would even argue that Hahn wasn't at her greatest, even though she had the right "look." She seemed oddly halting, to a frustrating degree. I know that's kinda the point, but it was a bit maddening. The whole series felt a bit unfocused to me, in the end.
Old 12-10-19, 11:53 AM

I honestly don't even know why HBO made this.

Did they just want to keep a relationship with Perotta?

It wasn't bad... but in the end, I found it all rather pointless.