TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Kurt Sutter fired by FX for being "An Abrasive D*ck"

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Kurt Sutter fired by FX for being "An Abrasive D*ck"

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...e-dick-1248492

The Kurt Sutter era at FX — and now, Disney — has ended.

The Mayans M.C. showrunner has been fired following what sources describe as "multiple complaints" over his behavior on the drama series. Sutter detailed his dismissal by FX CEO John Landgraf and Disney TV Studios and ABC Entertainment chairman Dana Walden in a letter sent to the cast and crew of the Sons of Anarchy spinoff, describing himself as an "abrasive dick."
Dear Team Mayans,

Apparently, Disney HR and Business Affairs has conducted an investigation into the unacceptable conditions that have been created on the set of Mayans in season 2. As you know, I’ve removed myself quite a bit this season, allowing others to take a bigger role in producing the show. It appears that philosophy has backfired. It’s been reported by writers, producers, cast and crew that my absence and subsequent behavior when there, has only created confusion, chaos, hostility and is perceived as abandonment. Or at least that’s how Disney has interpreted it. I’m sure it’s true.

This morning I was fired by Dana Walden and John Landgraf for all the complaints levied against me. Not the way I wanted to end my 18 year relationship with FX. At least being fired for being an abrasive dick is on brand.

I deeply apologize if I’ve made people feel less than or unsupported. My intention was literally the opposite. But clearly I’ve not been paying attention. My arrogance and chronic distraction has created wreckage. Just know, I adore this cast and crew.

I’m not sure what the fate of Mayans MC holds. But if it continues, you’ll still be in good hands. As I said at the premier, Elgin is ready to take on the challenge of running the show. I’m sure FX will get him the support he needs to find and follow his vision.

For those of you who wanted me gone, you win! For those of you who didn’t, you win too. Although I will no longer be involved, I have no doubt the new team will move things forward with the same quality fans have come to expect.

Thank you for the honor of working with all of you.

I don’t need, nor want, replies or condolences. I know where the love is. And for those of you who have it, I’m sure our paths will cross again.

Best,
ks

I put this in the Mayans MC 2nd season thread, but I know very very few people watch it, so it's probably going to go unnoticed or ignored.

If you are reading this thread just because it's "New" and have no clue who he is, he's married Katey Sagal and is the creator of the long-running FX show "Sons of Anarchy" and the currently airing "Mayans MC"

Let's just say he's not really well liked in the TV creative community.
Old 10-17-19, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Kurt Sutter fired by FX for being "An Abrasive D*ck"

At least he recognized that being fired for a dick is on brand.
Old 10-17-19, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

So what exactly are the complaints? Personally, I never got into Sons of Anarchy or this new show.
Old 10-17-19, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I had heard that he was taking a step back from the show and wouldn't be involved in future seasons a few weeks ago.

Didn't know he'd end up fired for taking that step back though.
Old 10-17-19, 06:28 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I heard he was fired via a 10 minute song sung by Peggy Bundy to the tune of Greensleeves.
Old 10-17-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Koby
I had heard that he was taking a step back from the show and wouldn't be involved in future seasons a few weeks ago.

Didn't know he'd end up fired for taking that step back though.
He wasn't fired for taking a step back. As the original article states, HR received multiple complaints about him.

In 2019, there is a zero tolerance now for treating your employees like shit. TV is notorious for egomaniac producers with abrasive management styles.
Old 10-17-19, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
He wasn't fired for taking a step back. As the original article states, HR received multiple complaints about him.
I didn't mean to infer that was the sole reason, but if you read the statement it does actually state some of those complaints were about him stepping back.

I’ve removed myself quite a bit this season, allowing others to take a bigger role in producing the show. It appears that philosophy has backfired. It’s been reported by writers, producers, cast and crew that my absence and subsequent behavior when there, has only created confusion, chaos, hostility and is perceived as abandonment. Or at least that’s how Disney has interpreted it.
Old 10-17-19, 08:52 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Personally, i don't care about the on set dramas. More than half the people in Hollywood are egotical dicks

I'm more worried that this kills the plans for future SOA spin offs
Old 10-18-19, 01:03 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Shocking...
Old 10-18-19, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I think Hollywood takes itself a biiiiit too seriously and thinks their work is important. Love the entertainment they provide but they're not advancing society or making the world a better place.
Old 10-18-19, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

There are people like that in every field, some people actually take whatever work they're doing seriously as to turn in a competent final product and keep their job.

Not sure what Sutter's excuse was for the last couple seasons of SoA though.
Old 10-18-19, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I heard he was fired via a 10 minute song sung by Peggy Bundy to the tune of Greensleeves.

In 2019, there is a zero tolerance now for treating your employees like shit. TV is notorious for egomaniac producers with abrasive management styles.
Probably more so at Disney than other places, too. If Fox still owned FX, it may not have happened. Disney has shown a willingness to cut ties even when your output is still making a shit ton of money. If your comet has faded & cooled like Sutter's, they will definitely cut ties.
Old 10-18-19, 08:44 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Not surprising. From what I've read and heard about him, I never came away with the feeling that he was a good person -- let alone even a nice person for that matter.
Old 10-18-19, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Maybe he should run for President. I agree with the sentiment that Hollywood takes itself a bit too seriously. Also, who are the holding the top dogs responsible if they are the "dicks?"
Old 10-18-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never watched Mayans but in SoA guys that followed Jax would make no money, have everyone they loved killed, not live to see 40, and constantly tell him what a good job he is doing. I assume this was his idealized reality.
Old 10-18-19, 10:21 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I do think Disney are going to treat Fox products as second class citizens

It's like when WWE took over WCW, all of the WCW wrestlers had to job to the WWE wrestlers or get out the door
Old 10-18-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Or maybe, just maybe, Disney doesn't put up with the shit that other networks have been allowing creative talent to get away with forever.
Old 10-18-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Apparently Sutter's production deal with FOX TV is unaffected by his firing. So he can theoretically still develop and pitch shows, but whether a network actually wants to do business with him is another story. FX obviously won't.
Old 10-18-19, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Apparently Sutter's production deal with FOX TV is unaffected by his firing. So he can theoretically still develop and pitch shows, but whether a network actually wants to do business with him is another story. FX obviously won't.
Soooo....he can work for Smackdown?
Old 10-19-19, 01:02 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Soooo....he can work for Smackdown?
That’s FOX TV station, it’s different.
Old 10-19-19, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14

That’s FOX TV station, it’s different.
Damn that's right. I keep forgetting the strange things Disney owns and what Fox still controls and didn't give to Disney. Fox still owns their FS1 and the network TV station but not FX and FXX. But yet Disney owns the stuff airing on Fox like Family Guy, Simpsons, etc.
Old 10-19-19, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk God

He still has a development deal with 20th Century FOX TV, which is a totally separate entity from the networks. They are the production company division. So he can feasibly develop and pitch a show to AMC, TNT or one of the premium networks. Highly unlikely he would work with network TV. But considering his reputation, it's probably unlikely someone will even take a meeting with him.

Once his deal runs out, he's officially unemployed.
Old 10-19-19, 06:35 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

in 2019 you can’t say anything as a Male without fear of being fired.

Old 10-20-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo

in 2019 you can’t say anything as a Male without fear of being fired.
As long as you're not a piece of shit you have nothing to worry about.
Old 10-20-19, 02:37 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
As long as you're not a piece of shit you have nothing to worry about.
Not how it even works nowadays. God help any comedians who did a skit back in 1990 showing up on Twitter that isn’t PC by today’s standards.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.