TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Batwoman (CW) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/6/19

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-19, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Batwoman (CW) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/6/19

Originally Posted by ben12
Why do these CW superhero shows waste drama! Why reveal who Alice is at the end of the first episode? Why not make it more of a mystery?! They do this all the time, and it makes no sense to me.
For decades shows dragged out the drama. People incessantly complained about it during Smallville's run. Now shows move at a pretty good clip, don't drag out plotlines longer than need be* and now that's a problem too? Can't win for losing.

*except of course for Flash's big bad which we all know should be cut into half season arcs.
Old 10-09-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I kinda get what he’s saying though. That would have been a good mid-season or end of season reveal rather than putting it out there right away. Smallville seemed to drag out a lot of story elements way too long was its problem.
Old 10-09-19, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

It was okay. It didn't blow me away like The Flash or Arrow pilots. I thought it was very low key.

It's weird that they went full re-set origin story of Kate/Batwoman when she was already introduced in last season's crossover. I know with Kate borrowing and modifying Bruce's suit, it makes the cowl look weird on her head. I guess the red wig will come at a later date.

So 2 reveals....Kate missing sister was the crazy villain

and her ex girlfriend is employed by her father and is now married to a man. I'm sure that will lead to some drama.

I alssume the last name Kane is an ode to Batman creator Bob Kane.
Old 10-10-19, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

I wonder if Commissioner Gordon current status will be addressed.
Decent start, C+. Ruby Rose is rather scrawny.
I like the scene off her saving her EX-Lesbian Lover. Remained me alot of the scene where Batman Save Rachael in The Dark Knight.
Old 10-10-19, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Being a life long Bat fan, I can't see Bruce/Batman leaving Gotham on his own free will. Something must have happened to him.
Old 10-10-19, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
For decades shows dragged out the drama. People incessantly complained about it during Smallville's run. Now shows move at a pretty good clip, don't drag out plotlines longer than need be* and now that's a problem too? Can't win for losing.

*except of course for Flash's big bad which we all know should be cut into half season arcs.
Originally Posted by Mike86
I kinda get what he’s saying though. That would have been a good mid-season or end of season reveal rather than putting it out there right away. Smallville seemed to drag out a lot of story elements way too long was its problem.
Yeah, I'm not saying drag it out for seasons until everyone is sick of it. But do SOMETHING with it. It wasn't even clear to me there was any kind of mystery about Alice's identity until it was already revealed. It's a waste.
Old 10-10-19, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Being a life long Bat fan, I can't see Bruce/Batman leaving Gotham on his own free will. Something must have happened to him.
Agreed. He has taken time off before, and thats how Kate became Batwoman in the first place. But to abandon Gotham for years is out of character, just to push plot. Same thing happened with the old Birds of Prey show.

Decent start tho, will keep up with it since I am a Batman fanboy.
Old 10-10-19, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I thought this was awful. Ruby Rose looks like a 12 year old boy and acts about as well. Every other lead in these shows established themselves well but Ruby fails miserably.I thought the editing in it was weirdly done. The female villain felt like she existed just because Berlanti wanted a female version of Joker but couldn't use Harley. The side characters sucked. Honestly I would say this is the weakest of the CWverse pilots by far, and with Arrow stealing so much from the Batman mythos, having this show just seems really redundant. If you want a good show that features the Batman mythos check out Titans.
Old 10-10-19, 11:05 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Yeah I thought this was awful. Ruby Rose looks like a 12 year old boy and acts about as well. Every other lead in these shows established themselves well but Ruby fails miserably.I thought the editing in it was weirdly done. The female villain felt like she existed just because Berlanti wanted a female version of Joker but couldn't use Harley. The side characters sucked. Honestly I would say this is the weakest of the CWverse pilots by far, and with Arrow stealing so much from the Batman mythos, having this show just seems really redundant. If you want a good show that features the Batman mythos check out Titans.
What often happens with these shows is that they shoot the pilot months in advance of the series. I don't know if that's the case here but it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 10-10-19, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

The female villain felt like she existed just because Berlanti wanted a female version of Joker but couldn't use Harley. The side characters sucked. Honestly I would say this is the weakest of the CWverse pilots by far, and with Arrow stealing

But isn't the "Female Villain" Alice a well established Batwoman character/villain? Or is Berlanti once again forcing his SJW Cock down our throats in one of his shows...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-10-19 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-10-19, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
But isn't the "Female Villain" Alice a well established Batwoman character/villain? Or is Berlanti once again forcing his SJW Cock down our throats in one of his shows...
Apparently she is. I haven't read the book since it's earliest days, but an interview with the producer says "Alice" was a long-established villain in the comics and Kate's sister.
Old 10-10-19, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DWilson
Apparently she is. I haven't read the book since it's earliest days, but an interview with the producer says "Alice" was a long-established villain in the comics and Kate's sister.

Exactly...
Old 10-10-19, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

I don't mind the early reveal of Alice because the bigger question now is WHERE THE FUCK HAS SHE BEEN?
Old 10-10-19, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Boy you get more and more overdramatic don't you? I just said Alice was a Harley knock off, which admittedly I forgot she was in the comics since I haven't read anything related to Batwoman since 52/ that brief time she took over Detective Comics. Though now that you mention it I cant wait for the inevitable storyline where her love interest talks about how she had to marry a man for her career/normalcy sake. Ok I will say one positive thing about this pilot. It was nice to see Rachel Skarsten again since I haven't seen her since she showed up in Transporter: The Series. Though if I wanted to I could criticize more parts of the pilot such as: Why was Batman out in the daylight? Why did Luke let her take the Batman suit so easily? If that was Batman's suit why did it have a breast protector in it? Why was she able to use all that Batman tech so easily? In Titans it makes sense because we have Robin but she is doing it like she has done it forever?
Old 10-10-19, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I think Luke just knew that she was going to take the suit whether he wanted her to or not. Bruce wasn’t there to call to stop her and she had already taken care of Luke once and could have again. It’s a bit of a stretch to believe she’d know how to use the suit/equipment right away, but we didn’t see her do a ton really.
Old 10-10-19, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

A very so-so pilot. Alice may have been the best thing in it. Felt a little cheaper in budget than prior Berlanti network premieres. I'm guessing they aren't expecting gangbuster ratings, these CW shows now have well-established baselines and Batwoman fell right in line.

I get the feeling we are going to see Supergirl redux. The writers will simply grab familiar arcs originally made for Batman and re-fashion them for Batwoman, substituting her in his place. Episode descriptions for the first six episodes are already out there, that already seems to be happening.
Old 10-11-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I thought Alice was the weakest thing about the episode. Her costume, performance, the whole shebang just didn't work for me. Just the lighting and production with her scenes could have helped. It lacked any real style to it. She would feel more at home on Smallville.
Old 10-11-19, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Why was she able to use all that Batman tech so easily? In Titans it makes sense because we have Robin but she is doing it like she has done it forever?

Originally Posted by Mike86
It’s a bit of a stretch to believe she’d know how to use the suit/equipment right away, but we didn’t see her do a ton really.
Luke likely instructed her. I mean seriously. That is the most logical and obvious explanation. But also, she is not stupid, was in the military, and was training to do high end security with her dad's company. It's not too hard to think she could figure that stuff out with a little instruction.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-11-19 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-11-19, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I don't mind the early reveal of Alice because the bigger question now is WHERE THE FUCK HAS SHE BEEN?
Arkham. The dad knows who she is and where she’s been at least recently.
Old 10-11-19, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

I almost didn't watch this because I thought the DC crossover episode last year with Batwoman was awful. I gave it a shot, though, and I thought it was okay--not really good, just okay--but that's a lot better than I had expected.

I thought Ruby Rose looked good in the batsuit. She has a good face for it--strong chin and piercing eyes. I wish they would stay away from the red wig, which looked kind of garish and cheesy in the crossover, but I doubt I'll get my wish.

Apparently Rachel Maddow has a recurring role as "media personality" Vesper Fairchild. It'll be a voice-only role, though.
Old 10-14-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was more tuned in on the 2nd ep. I'll have to watch ep 1 again. I liked ep 2 though. Apparently she is figuring out Batman's stuff on her own since Luke says he doesn't know how half the shit works. But it looks like they'll be figuring out stuff together which is cool. I like that he is telling her that she is creating false hope for people who think Batman is back and that she needs to figure that part out. I'm guessing that's where the wig and red bat logo come in...
Old 10-14-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

There was an oddly sexual vibe between Batwoman and Alice in the second episode's meeting.
Old 10-14-19, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
There was an oddly sexual vibe between Batwoman and Alice in the second episode's meeting.
People are shipping everyone!!!
I just heard a podcast where their live chat folks were saying there was some flirtatious tension between Conner and Jason Todd on Titans
Old 10-14-19, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

My god they are crucifying this show on IMDB. Stupid fanboys that dont like change. Show was OK not amazing but nowhere near the 1.0 or 2.0 people are rating this...
Old 10-14-19, 06:16 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
My god they are crucifying this show on IMDB. Stupid fanboys that dont like change. Show was OK not amazing but nowhere near the 1.0 or 2.0 people are rating this...
Yea, I noticed that last night. Fucking ridiculous. The internet is just a dumpster fire.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.