Search this Thread

Old 10-06-19, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Batwoman (CW) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/6/19

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 6

SERIES PREMIERE

BATWOMAN

"Pilot" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, DLV) (HDTV)

SERIES PREMIERE - Kate Kane (Ruby Rose) never planned to be Gotham's new vigilante. Gotham is a city in despair, the Gotham City Police Department have been overrun and outgunned by criminal gangs. Enter Jacob Kane (Dougray Scott) and his military-grade Crows Private Security, which now protects the city with omnipresent firepower and militia. Years before, Jacob's first wife and daughter were killed in the crossfire of Gotham crime. He sent his only surviving daughter, Kate Kane, away from Gotham for her safety. After a dishonorable discharge from military school and years of brutal survival training, Kate returns home when the Alice in Wonderland gang targets her father and his security firm by kidnapping his best Crow officer - and Kate's ex-girlfriend - Sophie Moore (Meagan Tandy). Although remarried to wealthy socialite Catherine Hamilton-Kane (Elizabeth Anweis), who bankrolls the Crows, Jacob is still struggling with the family he lost, while keeping Kate -- the daughter he still has -- at a distance. But Kate is a woman who's done asking for permission. In order to help her family and her city, she'll have to become the one thing her father loathes -- a vigilante. With the help of her compassionate stepsister, Mary (Nicole Kang), and the crafty Luke Fox (Camrus Johnson), the son of Wayne Enterprises' tech guru Lucius Fox, Kate Kane continues the legacy of her missing cousin, Bruce Wayne, as Batwoman. Still holding a flame for Sophie, Kate uses everything in her power to combat the dark machinations of the psychotic Alice (Rachel Skarsten), who's always somewhere slipping between sane and insane. Armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, Kate soars through the shadowed streets of Gotham as Batwoman. The episode was written by Caroline Dries and directed by Marcos Siega (#101). Original airdate 10/6/2019. Every episode of BATWOMAN will be available to stream on CWTV.com and The CW App the day after broadcast for free and without a subscription, log-in or authentication required.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UajKZHBjukY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some good news for those of you who don't have DVRs or prefer to stream. Batwoman's entire season (not just the last 5 episodes) will be available on The CW app for free with ads though.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/the...ne-1203290982/

It will move eventually to HBO Max in 2020. But, in-season, it will be on The CW app.

This paragraph explains it:

Beginning with this season’s freshman shows, namely “Batwoman,” “Nancy Drew,” and “Katy Keene,” the CW’s series will stream exclusively on its digital platforms throughout the full current season. After the season finale of each new show, the full season will be available on the network’s digital platforms until 30 days prior to the start of the next season, at which point they will move to their respective longer term streaming homes, HBO Max for “Batwoman” and “Katey Keene,” CBS All Access for “Nancy Drew.” Every episode of the CW’s new series will stream the day after broadcast throughout the season.

Old 10-06-19, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Batwoman (CW) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/6/19

Have my DVR set to record it. I’ll at least see if I like the pilot and decide if I want to continue watching it or not.
Old 10-06-19, 07:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I love Ruby Rose. So hot. Will record and hope to see later tonight...

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-07-19 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-06-19, 07:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Geez Oldboy, the way you say that. It’s like “I’ll be there with a glass of wine and some lotion.” Be careful there.
Old 10-06-19, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

So in the preview video, she is wearing a red wig with her cowl, but on the show she is not. Isn't a big deal, but the shape of her head in the cowl is odd. Rose was on the Tonight Show and said she was allergic to the original cowl they put her in.

As for the pilot, I'm not certain how I feel about the set-up that everybody in the cast (except Luke Fox) is a member of her family (or someone she loves).
Old 10-06-19, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
So in the preview video, she is wearing a red wig with her cowl, but on the show she is not. Isn't a big deal, but the shape of her head in the cowl is odd. Rose was on the Tonight Show and said she was allergic to the original cowl they put her in.

As for the pilot, I'm not certain how I feel about the set-up that everybody in the cast (except Luke Fox) is a member of her family (or someone she loves).
The wig is something she'll get later obviously.

As for the pilot... it was very by the numbers generic.
Old 10-07-19, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thought the pilot was alright. Really makes me wish we could just get a true live action Batman series though. I like Ruby Rose so far. The Batcave and suit stuff looks pretty good for being a tv version. I do agree that the cowl looks a bit odd on Kate’s head, but I assume the suit will evolve as the show progresses. I’ll probably keep watching for now at least.
Old 10-07-19, 10:43 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Thought it was okay. Hopefully it improves at bit as the show felt pretty rushed but that’s a common problem with pilot episodes. I’ll give it a couple of more episodes.
Old 10-07-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 436 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I love a Ruby Rose. So hot.
Same here... really the only reason I'm interested in the show. I haven't watched the rest of the "universe".
Old 10-07-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Not knowing this portion of the DC universe. Why is Bruce gone? I did like the pilot, and since I'm not familiar with it, it seems fresh to me so I don't have to nitpick it.
Old 10-07-19, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Not knowing this portion of the DC universe. Why is Bruce gone?
It's a mystery at this point.
Old 10-07-19, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do find it a bit odd that Bruce is said to have disappeared three years ago, but yet there’s only been small references/Easter eggs to him on any of the other CW shows, and none of the characters have acknowledged his disappearance prior to now.

I guess the answer is probably because he hasn’t been on the shows, but it does feel a bit sloppy to me. I’m sure the explanation officially is that WB doesn’t allow certain characters that are in the films to be part of the shows but still.
Old 10-07-19, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
I do find it a bit odd that Bruce is said to have disappeared three years ago, but yet there’s only been small references/Easter eggs to him on any of the other CW shows, and none of the characters have acknowledged his disappearance prior to now.
I'm playing catch up on all of the other shows to get ready for COIE event which is why I asked about Bruce.. for the very reason you pointed out.
Old 10-07-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I thought he disappeared from Gotham but not necessarily the world?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-07-19 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-07-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe he's too busy doing JL stuff?
Old 10-07-19, 09:16 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Alternate universes and all that- there's a currently active Batman on Supergirl's Earth who's friends with Superman (she mentions him multiple times during her show and in last year's crossover as well). In last year's crossover Batwoman says he's been missing for 5yrs, so apparently the pilot takes place 2yrs ago? It all seems confusing to me because Batwoman's universe is supposed to be the same as Ollie's and Barry's, yet Batman is not mentioned until last season- we all know this is because Arrow has essentially stolen half of the Batman mythos, and they're really going to have to bend over backwards to shoe-horn in the Batman mythos into Batwoman without stepping all over Green Arrow.

Either way, I didn't much like the pilot- seemed very low budget and rushed. The writing wasn't very good and I didn't find much about it to be compelling. As I'm dropping the WB/DC shows anyways after the crossover, I watched it more as a curiosity than anything.
Old 10-07-19, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Not knowing this portion of the DC universe. Why is Bruce gone?
Simply for effect on the show and because they can't use him. Same with Supergirl originally.

If Superman or Batman was always around then anytime they got in trouble they could just phone them up. Removing them from the equation gives more gravitas.

This show is being heavily bombed on IMDB.
Old 10-08-19, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm a huge Batman fan so I enjoyed it. CW Superhero shows always started off slow to me, so hopefully, this show will pick up some stream.
Old 10-08-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Both Bruce Wayne and Batman haven't been seen for three years and no one put 2 and 2 together?
Old 10-08-19, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Finally saw it last night. Thought it was decent. I liked the fight scenes a lot and it seems she will be a legit badass. Her step family is throwing me off though. Right now I'm hoping they are not in the show that much but I'll still give them a chance.
Old 10-08-19, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I enjoyed it. Still has a CW tv show budget feel. Ruby was great and the action was solid. I'm in!

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Both Bruce Wayne and Batman haven't been seen for three years and no one put 2 and 2 together?
Bruce could have hung up the suit and stuck around for a couple years before going off the grid.
Old 10-09-19, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Decent start, I love the no-nonsense snark of Ruby. Now that the first-episode relationship set-ups are over, ready to see where we’re going...
Old 10-09-19, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Bruce could have hung up the suit and stuck around for a couple years before going off the grid.
In separate scenes it was established that both Batman and Bruce Wayne hadn't been seen for 3 years.
Old 10-09-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Why do these CW superhero shows waste drama! Why reveal who Alice is at the end of the first episode? Why not make it more of a mystery?! They do this all the time, and it makes no sense to me.
Old 10-09-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by ben12
Why do these CW superhero shows waste drama! Why reveal who Alice is at the end of the first episode? Why not make it more of a mystery?! They do this all the time, and it makes no sense to me.
The producers felt that since it was a long-established storyline in the comics and well-known to fans of the character, they didn't want to be coy about it and draw it out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.