Reload this Page >

Batwoman (CW) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/6/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Batwoman (CW) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/6/19

Old 06-04-20, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts
Re: Batwoman (CW) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/6/19

They should just reboot the series into a period piece, set it in the 1950's and use the original Batwoman, Kathy Kane.

The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (06-05-20)
Old 06-04-20, 08:42 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I'm going to speculate that ratings weren't as good as they should be for WB, so they're looking at a way to retool the show. A gay woman with white privilege wasn't cutting it, so maybe a gay "woman of color" from the streets will be better for ratings.
Rating for Batwoman have usually been in the .2 territory, so it's not a ratings hit or anything for CW. It performs average or lower than most of their shows.

I doubt changing from a white to a black actress will move the needle in the up position. CW banked on this being a Flash-like hit, and it was a huge dud for them.
Old 06-04-20, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I thought I’d be roped into watching this more, but it just wasn’t all that interesting or good. I like the look of Batwoman but that’s about all. The storyline was just uninteresting to me.
Old 06-04-20, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

So let me get this straight. Someone who is no relation to the Wayne or Kane family, from the wrong side of the tracks, is somehow going to stumble and bumble their way into becoming Batwoman? Yeah, that makes no sense at all. What about the internal struggle BW has with her Father, head of the Crows, is out to capture her at any cost?

And what about Alice? She becomes a non factor now that she isn't Batwoman's sister. At this point, they might as well cancel the show. Thanks Ruby Rose. Sorry those long hours filming an action adventure show were too rough on you.
Old 06-04-20, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
So let me get this straight. Someone who is no relation to the Wayne or Kane family, from the wrong side of the tracks, is somehow going to stumble and bumble their way into becoming Batwoman? Yeah, that makes no sense at all. What about the internal struggle BW has with her Father, head of the Crows, is out to capture her at any cost?

And what about Alice? She becomes a non factor now that she isn't Batwoman's sister. At this point, they might as well cancel the show. Thanks Ruby Rose. Sorry those long hours filming an action adventure show were too rough on you.
For the most part you basically have to throw out season 1, unless Rose comes back for an episode (which seems doubtful) and you can transition the plotlines somehow. Gives me that much less motivation to catch up.

They could do "Reign of the Batwomen" except this time Superman doesn't come back from the dead.
Old 06-04-20, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

This show needs more villains.
Old 06-04-20, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

They still have to finish the Alice story and her being Kate Kane is a huge part of her interactions with everyone.

People can change their faces on this show......................so...............

Media really doesn't like recasting the same characters anymore unless it's a new take or reboot.
Old 06-05-20, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Thanks Ruby Rose. Sorry those long hours filming an action adventure show were too rough on you.
That was probably the best excuse they could come up with. Sounds like neither side were happy in the situation.
Old 06-05-20, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Oh pleeeease. The show started because Kate "stumbled and bumbled" her way into becoming Batwoman. It's not like that trope has never been done on a comic show.
Old 06-05-20, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

At this point I’d be in favor of Kate and the Crows all getting killed off-screen in a giant explosion. Then after a time jump, Barbara Gordon begrudgingly comes back out of retirement because Gotham still needs some sort of Bat figure. They could even transition the Asian girl into a Robin.

Or, Hush kills Kate, assumes the Batman role, and Barbara eventually returns because she can tell something is off with “Bruce.” She defeats Hush and becomes the new Batwoman.
Old 06-06-20, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Oh pleeeease. The show started because Kate "stumbled and bumbled" her way into becoming Batwoman. It's not like that trope has never been done on a comic show.
She is Bruce Wayne's cousin, so the fact she went to Wayne Enterprises is not that big of stretch, unlike a non relative who has live her life on the wrong side of the law.
Old 06-06-20, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
Highly doubtful that they will ever mention that whole "Paragon" BS again.
Not here but certainly pops up in Legends
Old 06-06-20, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 784 Likes on 658 Posts

CW had big plans for Batwoman and Supergirl teaming up. Those are now in the trash.
Old 06-06-20, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
CW had big plans for Batwoman and Supergirl teaming up. Those are now in the trash.

Why do you say that?

Batwoman is still the character.
Also how do you know there where plans for a team-up.
Old 06-06-20, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

If the CW still sticks with it, the big crossover next season with Batwoman and Superman and Lois is going to be a little weird. Especially since Lois and Clark have never met this soon to be new Batwoman. At least they had a pre-existing relationship with Kate Kane from Crisis. If wonder if her leaving changes that a lot.
Old 06-07-20, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

From "TV Line":

Batwoman showrunner Caroline Dries has shed some light on the decision to not recast the role of Kate Kane, in the wake of Ruby Rose abruptly parting ways with the CW series, but instead create “a whole new character” to slip into the cape and cowl for Season 2.

“To be honest with you, I did consider the ‘soap opera version’ [of recasting] for a hot minute, because selfishly we already had a couple episodes written, and transition-wise it would be seamless. But upon further reflection — and I think [Arrowverse EP] Greg [Berlanti] helped me make this call — he’s like, ‘I think we should just reboot Batwoman as a different character.'”

In addition to paying “respect to everything that Ruby [Rose] put into the Kate Kane character” during Season 1, Dries said, “it also helps the audience, because we’re not asking them to address ‘the elephant in the room'” by accepting a new face as the same person.

Dries went on to affirm that “Ryan Wilder” is “a whole new character who in her past was inspired by Batwoman, so she is going to take on the mantle,” adding that the scrappy twentysomething who lives in a van, with her plant, “is maybe not the right person at the time to be doing it, so that’s what makes it fun.”
Old 06-08-20, 07:05 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

In not shocking news given today’s climate -

The Cinema Spot has exclusively learned that Riverdale actress Vanessa Morgan is being eyed to play Ryan Wilder on the Batwoman television show.

In a bizarre move, it was announced last month that Batwoman lead actress Ruby Rose has decided to leave the series ahead of its already-announced second season.

A few weeks after the initial announcement, a casting call for a character with the name “Ryan Wilder” was found on Reddit, which has since been confirmed by showrunner Caroline Dries. She stated at the ATX Television Festival that they are creating a new character instead of recasting Rose’s Kate Kane:

I’m inventing a whole new character. In her past, she was inspired by Batwoman. She is going to take on the mantle and is completely maybe not be the right person at the time to be doing it. That’s what makes it fun.

This idea has caused a lot of backlash amongst fans, with some fans stating that they will not be watching Batwoman‘s second season if Kate Kane is getting replaced. Unfortunately for the fans, it seems like Batwoman is moving forward with the Ryan Wilder character. Thus, The CW wants actress Vanessa Morgan for the role.

Earlier this week, Vanessa Morgan called out the popular young adult series Riverdale for sidelining Black characters, stating:

Tired of how Black people are portrayed in Media, tired of us being portrayed as thugs, dangerous or angry scary people. Tired of us also being used as sidekick non-dimensional characters to our white leads. Or only used in the ads for diversity but not actually in the show.

Morgan is currently the only black lead on the hit CW show. Riverdale creator Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa replied with the following:

We hear Vanessa. We love Vanessa. She’s right. We’re sorry and we make the same promise that we did to her. We will do better to honor her and the character she plays. As well as all of our actors and characters of color. CHANGE is happening and will continue to happen. Riverdale will get bigger, not smaller. Riverdale will be part of the movement, not outside it.

It was previously announced that — spoiler alert — Riverdale is set to do a time jump heading into Season 5. Therefore, it is likely that if Morgan gets the role of Ryan Wilder, her Riverdale character Toni Topaz will not be returning after the time jump.

We’ve heard that alongside her audition, Vanessa Morgan will also be doing a screen test. This screen test will presumably be done with other members of the main cast.

This does not mean that other actresses cannot audition for the role, though. The CW wants an actress who is younger than 30 years old, and “gets” Berlanti Productions and its culture.

We have also discovered an audition by actress Jemma Hendricks for the role of Ryan Wilder, you can view the audition below:

What do you think of Ryan Wilder? Would you like to see Vanessa Morgan or Jemma Hendricks in the role? Please let us know on Twitter and Instagram!
Old 06-08-20, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
From "TV Line":

Batwoman showrunner Caroline Dries has shed some light on the decision to not recast the role of Kate Kane, in the wake of Ruby Rose abruptly parting ways with the CW series, but instead create “a whole new character” to slip into the cape and cowl for Season 2.

“To be honest with you, I did consider the ‘soap opera version’ [of recasting] for a hot minute, because selfishly we already had a couple episodes written, and transition-wise it would be seamless. But upon further reflection — and I think [Arrowverse EP] Greg [Berlanti] helped me make this call — he’s like, ‘I think we should just reboot Batwoman as a different character.'”

In addition to paying “respect to everything that Ruby [Rose] put into the Kate Kane character” during Season 1, Dries said, “it also helps the audience, because we’re not asking them to address ‘the elephant in the room'” by accepting a new face as the same person.

Dries went on to affirm that “Ryan Wilder” is “a whole new character who in her past was inspired by Batwoman, so she is going to take on the mantle,” adding that the scrappy twentysomething who lives in a van, with her plant, “is maybe not the right person at the time to be doing it, so that’s what makes it fun.”

If the show was a hit, and Ruby Rose still left, best believe they'd keep the Kane character and just get a different actress.

Looking at how they spin this is actually interesting though. They criticize the idea recasting by alluding to that practice as being something that something only soap operas do, a genre that is considered outdated and not very well-respected.

Then they make it sound like they're doing the audience a favor.

But they can't admit that ratings play a part, because that makes it sound like the show's "not good." It'd be immediate bad publicity.

I love the look of the OG Batwoman, as it's such a typically cheerful Golden Age design. But it's weird that she's so bright considering she's the female counterpart to the DARK Knight. For the modern interpretation though, I really hate the red wig. It makes little sense, and Ruby Rose in the suit, minus the wig looked perfect.

Last edited by brayzie; 06-08-20 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-08-20, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't Arrow recast White Canary like three times? Granted if they want to cast someone like Vanessa Morgan, just pretending they're playing the same character obviously isn't going to work...
Old 06-08-20, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig
Didn't Arrow recast White Canary like three times? Granted if they want to cast someone like Vanessa Morgan, just pretending they're playing the same character obviously isn't going to work...
Sara Lance was played by a different actress in the Pilot. When she was brought back later in the series, they used Caity Lotz.
Old 06-08-20, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
Sara Lance was played by a different actress in the Pilot. When she was brought back later in the series, they used Caity Lotz.
Ah, I must have gotten confused between Sara and Laurel being different characters or something (can you tell I've only watched like two non crossover episodes of Arrow?)
Old 06-09-20, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

How likely did they decide to go with a new character to get out of their own stupid "Kate Kane must be played by a lesbian" requirement? I have no idea who Vanessa Morgan is but is it safe to assume that she is not a real life lesbian?
Old 06-09-20, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

I have no idea who Vanessa Morgan is but is it safe to assume that she is not a real life lesbian?
A quick Google shows that she’s bisexual
Old 06-09-20, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk God

How likely did they decide to go with a new character to get out of their own stupid "Kate Kane must be played by a lesbian" requirement? I have no idea who Vanessa Morgan is but is it safe to assume that she is not a real life lesbian?
Vanessa Morgan is a series regular on Riverdale and her character is Lesbian.

But, she's married to a baseball player on the Chicago White Sox in real life.
Old 06-09-20, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
I agree. I understand about representation but this seems shoehorned. However, they have already committed to this:

https://twitter.com/tordotcom/status...03307922505728
They had already committed to casting someone in the LGBT community for the replacement, so changing the character wasn't because of that "requirement."

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.