Batwoman (CW) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/6/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Batwoman (CW) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/6/19

Old 05-20-20, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts
Re: Batwoman (CW) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/6/19

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I'm familiar with sources that say Ruby Rose was absolutely hated on set and this move wasn't entirely voluntary on her part. I'm not sure if more will leak out, so I won't bring up what I've heard about Rose's misbehavior.

Ok uh huh.

So whatís the point Of saying anything then.
Old 05-20-20, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 645 Likes on 502 Posts

I'll wager that she was harassed and just for the simple fact that she was almost killed on-set, as well. I'd also speculate that on-set conditions were not improved and she was continuously put in danger. But hey, she's a "dyke," so she should tough it up and stop complaining, right?

Man, every fucking thread dedicated to Batwoman on forums and social media platforms is filled with toxic white masculinity trashing her. If you're part of that crew, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

/rant

EDIT -- the "official pr" release is the cleaned up version. I'm sure there's NDA's, so they have to play nice and say it was a tough shoot, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (05-21-20)
Old 05-20-20, 04:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 453 Likes on 403 Posts

i really don't think she was harassed at all. of course i could be wrong, but she probably just didn't like the grueling schedule and became a loner, hard to work with person on set because of it. she could have sucked it up and been a pleasure, but she probably became a jerk to deal with and that's on her for no other reason then that's who she is, apparently. simply said. i don't think anything else should or does come into factor. i would rather see her in movies anyway. she's hot, pretty good actress, at least from Orange, haven't seen Batwoman yet, but she didn't like a job and wanted out. we all went through that, she just became an insufferable being to other people it seems...
Old 05-20-20, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I'm familiar with sources that say Ruby Rose was absolutely hated on set and this move wasn't entirely voluntary on her part. I'm not sure if more will leak out, so I won't bring up what I've heard about Rose's misbehavior.
Do tell!
Old 05-20-20, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Well technically he died, so not exactly the same thing.
The actor died some time after he stepped down from the role, so yes, the reason for the replacement was different, but my point was that the show managed to be successful with a new actor playing the part.
Old 05-20-20, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I'll wager that she was harassed and just for the simple fact that she was almost killed on-set, as well. I'd also speculate that on-set conditions were not improved and she was continuously put in danger. But hey, she's a "dyke," so she should tough it up and stop complaining, right?

Man, every fucking thread dedicated to Batwoman on forums and social media platforms is filled with toxic white masculinity trashing her. If you're part of that crew, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

/rant

EDIT -- the "official pr" release is the cleaned up version. I'm sure there's NDA's, so they have to play nice and say it was a tough shoot, etc.
You realize that there is a rumor going around that she did not want to do the series, was unprofessional on set, and was also sexually harassing and hitting on some of the actress on the set right? But hey since she's a "dyke" obviously it has to be the fault of toxic masculinity and could not be her fault that she is no longer on the show.

Don't get me wrong there are assholes in fandom who take it too far but maybe sometimes stuff happens that we don't know about, and like I said Berlanti and company put this on themselves but refusing to cast anyone in the role other than a name lesbian actress and picking her for no other reason than she checked off those two boxes for them,
Old 05-20-20, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,026 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
You realize that there is a rumor going around that she did not want to do the series, was unprofessional on set, and was also sexually harassing and hitting on some of the actress on the set right? But hey since she's a "dyke" obviously it has to be the fault of toxic masculinity and could not be her fault that she is no longer on the show.

Don't get me wrong there are assholes in fandom who take it too far but maybe sometimes stuff happens that we don't know about, and like I said Berlanti and company put this on themselves but refusing to cast anyone in the role other than a name lesbian actress and picking her for no other reason than she checked off those two boxes for them,
They already committed to casting another lesbian actress, so here's hoping they don't make the same mistake. I guess too bad if an actress wants to keep her sexuality private.
Old 05-20-20, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
While technically true, the Spartacus situation is so different that it's not really a valid comparison. Fans are likely to be much less understanding of this change. Personally, I liked Andy Whitfield more than Liam Gallagher, but you know what could they do. You just kind of had to go with it. There will probably be much more compare and contrast backlash here.
Probably true. Hopefully, though, fans won't hold it against the show by abandoning it if Rose's departure was her own decision.
Old 05-20-20, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 106 Posts

Stephanie Beatriz alluded to some interest on Twitter. I actually think she'd be good at it, but I don't want to lose Rosa.
Old 05-21-20, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,864 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe View Post
The actor died some time after he stepped down from the role, so yes, the reason for the replacement was different, but my point was that the show managed to be successful with a new actor playing the part.
The Season 1 finale aired 4/16/10. He died 9/11/11. It wasnít long after and wasnít unrelated.
Old 05-21-20, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

I havenít followed much news on this series, so I canít speculate on anything. However, if the press releases are true (or at least in part), it makes sense she wasnít happy with the time and physical demands.

I know some of you listen to Rosenbaumís podcast. He had Stephen Amell on there who said Arrow just spent him. By the end he was burnt out and on the verge of a breakdown.
Old 05-21-20, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
The Season 1 finale aired 4/16/10. He died 9/11/11. It wasnít long after and wasnít unrelated.
That's almost a year and a half between the end of Season 1 and his death. It's not like he passed a few days/weeks after it ended, but I guess the word "long" means different things to different people. I was simply trying to think of another series where the titular actor/actress left (for whatever reason) after just one season and the show managed to be successful with the replacement. Can you think of another?
Old 05-21-20, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's almost a year and a half between the end of Season 1 and his death. It's not like he passed a few days/weeks after it ended, but I guess the word "long" means different things to different people. I was simply trying to think of another series where the titular actor/actress left (for whatever reason) after just one season and the show managed to be successful with the replacement. Can you think of another?
It's not only that the actor/actress left, it's that the role is recast too (so not like a Valerie to Sandy Duncan or a Sheen to Kutcher swap). Taking away the season 1 thing I can only think of Dr. Who, though there's a canon reason for that. Looking it up, Alice on the Honeymooners was replaced in the middle of season 1 and Cagney changed like two times in Cagney and Lacey.
Old 05-21-20, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 106 Posts

They postponed shooting season 2 out of hopes that he would recover and didn't recast until it was obvious he wouldn't. They even created a prequel series just to put more product on the air to give Andy some more time. It's a completely different situation.
Old 05-21-20, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
It's not only that the actor/actress left, it's that the role is recast too (so not like a Valerie to Sandy Duncan or a Sheen to Kutcher swap). Taking away the season 1 thing I can only think of Dr. Who, though there's a canon reason for that. Looking it up, Alice on the Honeymooners was replaced in the middle of season 1 and Cagney changed like two times in Cagney and Lacey.
So there's hope the audience will stick around after the part is recast! I'd hate to see fans show their frustration by not watching it when (if the story is true) it was Rose who parted with the show for selfish reasons.
Old 05-21-20, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
They postponed shooting season 2 out of hopes that he would recover and didn't recast until it was obvious he wouldn't. They even created a prequel series just to put more product on the air to give Andy some more time. It's a completely different situation.
Yes, I know the history, and Andy's reason for leaving was tragic, but there was no guarantee the show would be successful with the part recast, right? Audiences still could have walked away from it after he left. Thankfully, that didn't happen.
Old 05-21-20, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 145 Posts

I have a bunch of episodes on my DVR piled up. This one really did not hook me. Alice was good but the overall acting was meh. I don't actually watch very many comic book shows but like Ruby Rose so I gave it a shot. Most likely will just delete them and cancel future recordings.
Old 05-21-20, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 683 Likes on 438 Posts

Right now is probably not the best time to be sitting around waiting for your show to come back. I'm sure she got some other movie opportunity down the road that she couldn't pass up. But it'll be weird recasting her.
Old 05-21-20, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 111 Posts

How about Julianne Hough? It might keep her from doing other things though.
Old 05-21-20, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by windom View Post
How about Julianne Hough? It might keep her from doing other things though.
Is she a lesbian? I honestly didn't know.
Old 05-21-20, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Is she a lesbian? I honestly didn't know.
https://www.out.com/television/2019/...t-not-straight
Old 05-21-20, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 437 Likes on 310 Posts

I kinda hope that when they recast, the story is that Alice is the only one that recognizes it's not the same Kate Kane and continually points that out.
Old 05-21-20, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,649 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Julianne Hough is tiny and so pettite. I don't think she fits the bill for Kate Kane/Batwoman.

The smart thing to do is to just go with the best actress. Who cares if they're lesbian or not.

Old 05-21-20, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Julianne Hough is tiny and so pettite. I don't think she fits the bill for Kate Kane/Batwoman.

The smart thing to do is to just go with the best actress. Who cares if they're lesbian or not.
I agree. I understand about representation but this seems shoehorned. However, they have already committed to this:

Old 05-21-20, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Why not just killed off the character and let Barbara Gordon take up the Batwoman mantle. Same character different actor rarely ever works.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.