Batwoman (CW) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/6/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Batwoman (CW) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/6/19

Old 05-19-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,884 Likes on 1,896 Posts
Re: Batwoman (CW) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 10/6/19

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe View Post
I have mixed feelings about Rose's departure. Generally, I hate it when roles are recast, but maybe a different actress will help the show's ratings? I've always felt her performance as Kate Kane was a bit stiff/wooden, and her stature was just not all that imposing yet we were supposed to believe as Batwoman she could easily kick the asses of bigger adversaries. I guess this is no different than the revolving door of actors who've played Batman in the movies. Spartacus on STARZ had 3 more seasons after the actor who played the title role left after Season 1. Maybe this show will too.
Well technically he died, so not exactly the same thing.
Old 05-19-20, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 822 Likes on 563 Posts

I felt that Ruby looked the part but the script and her wooden acting didn't help the show at all. There were long term plans for the show as the Arrowverse is what has kept the CW afloat and a Bat-property is an asset in any channel. The show now needs to be completely retooled. They seriously need to improve the scripts and stop with the lousy acting. Of all the Arrowverse shows, it seems that Batwoman hired the worst people to big parts.
Old 05-19-20, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe View Post
Spartacus on STARZ had 3 more seasons after the actor who played the title role left after Season 1. Maybe this show will too.
While technically true, the Spartacus situation is so different that it's not really a valid comparison. Fans are likely to be much less understanding of this change. Personally, I liked Andy Whitfield more than Liam Gallagher, but you know what could they do. You just kind of had to go with it. There will probably be much more compare and contrast backlash here.
Old 05-19-20, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 810 Likes on 544 Posts

I enjoyed Ruby as BW but if she is not enjoying the role. See ya Girl. Lets get someone in who will love being BW.
Old 05-19-20, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
She quit the show on her own accord. It wasn’t a creative change.
Don't they usually sign the main cast to 7 year contracts though?
Old 05-19-20, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,663 Likes on 1,220 Posts

Originally Posted by windom View Post
It didn't stop Mandy Patinkin or Sasha Alexander.
Old 05-19-20, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 822 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Usually they are signed to mutli-season deals. At least the lead. I don't know anything about Ruby's contracts, but unless she was pushed out, what she just did is pretty shitty and unprofessional. She could cost hundreds of people their job for leaving them high and dry.
Old 05-19-20, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

I stopped this show around Crisis and just deleted everything I had off the dvr.
She is stiff as a board and is too small for that character.

Plus all that Alice stuff was just too boring.

Maybe it will be tolerable with a better actor
Old 05-19-20, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Recast as Kate (which shows never really do anymore) or someone new as Batwoman.

They need to finish up the Alice storyline which is all based on them being related. And can we be done with Alice for good now! WAY too dragged out.
Old 05-19-20, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 292 Likes on 248 Posts

Get Rose McGowan in that role.

Just kidding.

The following users liked this post:
starseed1981 (05-20-20)
Old 05-19-20, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk God

You know who would be a good Kate Kane

Jaimie Alexander from Blindspot and she's available too.

But, apparently Berlanti and Warner Brothers want to cast another lesbian actress to replace Ruby.

Only lesbian actress who fits the athletic style Kate Kane needs is Cara Delevnigne. But, I don't know if she would want to do TV. Cara has a huge fanbase on social media. 44.5M followers on Instagram.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-19-20 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-19-20, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know who would be a good Kate Kane

Jaimie Alexander from Blindspot and she's available too.

But, apparently Berlanti and Warner Brothers want to cast another lesbian actress to replace Ruby.

Only lesbian actress who fits the athletic style Kate Kane needs is Cara Delevnigne. But, I don't know if she would want to do TV. Cara has a huge fanbase on social media. 44.5M followers on Instagram.
Cara Delevnigne is already starring on an Amazon show, Carnival Row.
Old 05-19-20, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Old 05-19-20, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 150 Likes on 102 Posts

Bring on Ellen Page.

She was great as Kitty Pryde.
Old 05-19-20, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be willing to bet that Rose probably wanted to renegotiate for more money, and when they didn't want to she walked. That's why she left OITNB after one season. It's hilarious that this show is blowing up in Berlanti and Companies faces after they went for woke stunt casting and said "Look at us! We are doing the first openly lesbian superhero! And we will only cast her with an openly lesbian actress! Aren't we progressive and special!!!" where if they had just picked an actress who was right for the part they wouldn't have been in this mess right now.

Truthfully, this show is not really helping the Bat family brand, the fall season of the CW doesn't even start until January and rather than deal with recasting it, they should just cancel it and put the Arrow spin off into production.
Old 05-19-20, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is Holland Taylor free again?
Old 05-20-20, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 500 Likes on 308 Posts

Wow, this is a surprise. Can't say it bothers me too much as I wasn't going to watch next season and probably still won't. I don't think Ruby Rose is the problem with this show. She's not great, but does well enough. It's the writing that turns me off.

Hmmm... there must be others. There's Amber Heard, but apparently she's "a real piece of work," as they say. Plus she's already playing a DC character in the Aquaman movies.

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees View Post
Bring on Ellen Page.
Ellen Page is tiny. In the Batwoman costume she'd look like a little kid trick-or-treating. Plus Page is in Netflix's The Umbrella Academy, which is very good and will hopefully get renewed again after season 2 comes out this summer.
Old 05-20-20, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,043 Likes on 810 Posts

I think the Ellen Page suggestion was a joke? Replacing Ruby Rose with Ellen Page just because both are lesbians would be... jarring to say the least. Hilarious but jarring.
Old 05-20-20, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Wow, this is a shocker! I hope the can recast the part and continue on. Yes, it drags on, but hopefully with a new actress, she can spice things up. I would love to know the real reason Rose quit. I really hope the CW doesn't ay F it and cancel the show. Rose was great the first few episodes, and after that, she looked like she was mailing it in.
Old 05-20-20, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

No big loss IMO. Only the girl who plays Alice makes the show worth watching.
The following users liked this post:
gerrythedon (05-20-20)
Old 05-20-20, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,043 Likes on 810 Posts

Both parties say it's not related at all to the injury she sustained that almost left her paralyzed (I think it aggravated a previous injury), but I dunno, that would be a pretty big consideration if it were me.
Old 05-20-20, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts

From TV Line:

Ruby Rose wanted off Batwoman and no one was going to stand in her way.

Although the actress’ sudden, surprising departure from The CW superhero drama after just one season was framed on Tuesday as her choice and her choice alone, sources confirm to TVLine that the split was — at best — a mutual one.

“It wasn’t 100-percent her decision,” concedes a source close to the show. “It was a breakup. She wasn’t happy working on the show, and did that make her fun to work with? No. So everyone decided it would be in the best interests of the show, and for all concerned, if they parted ways. It just wasn’t a good fit.”

According to an insider, Rose — coming off the features John Wick: Chapter 2 and The Meg — was distressed by the long hours demanded of a lead TV role and did not acclimate well to life in Vancouver (where the show shoots). Batwoman marked the actress’ first full-time series gig, following her debut as the Scarlet Knight in the Arrowverse’s December 2018 “Elseworlds” crossover and a short arc on Orange Is the New Black.

Reps for Warner Bros. and The CW declined to comment for this story. Rose’s spokesperson, meanwhile, could not be reached for comment.
Old 05-20-20, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk God

So she is one of those actors who couldn't handle filming for 8 months 14 hours a day and being away from home.

Any actor who is like that is probably a miserable person on set.

Shooting a network TV show is like a factory, you're just cranking out shows like an assembly line. I'm sure it was enticing to get a big lead role like this, but she should have consulted with others about the grind it takes to do it.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-20-20 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-20-20, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 675 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
From TV Line:

Ruby Rose wanted off Batwoman and no one was going to stand in her way.

Although the actress’ sudden, surprising departure from The CW superhero drama after just one season was framed on Tuesday as her choice and her choice alone, sources confirm to TVLine that the split was — at best — a mutual one.

“It wasn’t 100-percent her decision,” concedes a source close to the show. “It was a breakup. She wasn’t happy working on the show, and did that make her fun to work with? No. So everyone decided it would be in the best interests of the show, and for all concerned, if they parted ways. It just wasn’t a good fit.”

According to an insider, Rose — coming off the features John Wick: Chapter 2 and The Meg — was distressed by the long hours demanded of a lead TV role and did not acclimate well to life in Vancouver (where the show shoots). Batwoman marked the actress’ first full-time series gig, following her debut as the Scarlet Knight in the Arrowverse’s December 2018 “Elseworlds” crossover and a short arc on Orange Is the New Black.

Reps for Warner Bros. and The CW declined to comment for this story. Rose’s spokesperson, meanwhile, could not be reached for comment.
So like I said. She couldn't handle it. I am sure WB will find a suitable replacement.
Old 05-20-20, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 390 Posts

I'm familiar with sources that say Ruby Rose was absolutely hated on set and this move wasn't entirely voluntary on her part. I'm not sure if more will leak out, so I won't bring up what I've heard about Rose's misbehavior.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.