DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Lost in Space (Netflix) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 12/24/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/648803-lost-space-netflix-season-2-thread-premieres-12-24-19-a.html)

DJariya 10-05-19 02:17 PM

Lost in Space (Netflix) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 12/24/19

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pdwBMPKUV3E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In Season 2, shot in Iceland and Vancouver, the Robinsons and Jupiter 2 are stranded on a mysterious ocean planet without their beloved Robot, and must work alongside the mischievous and manipulative Dr. Smith (Parker Posey) and the always charming Don West (Ignacio Serricchio), to make it back to the Resolute and reunite with the other colonists. But they quickly find all is not as it seems as they look for the key to finding Robot and safe passage to Alpha Centauri.

Premieres Christmas Eve. Another 10 episode season.

This is the NYCC comic con trailer just released today

dom56 10-05-19 04:17 PM

Re: Lost in Space (Netflix) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 12/24/19

Enjoyed the first season so definitely watch the new season.

TomOpus 10-05-19 04:18 PM

I'm in for the new season.

MR Round 10-06-19 01:24 AM

Ive been hoping all year this would coming out in 2019. Best news out of comic con possible i think :dance:

Xiroteus 10-06-19 02:29 AM

Finally. Will be watching.

DJariya 10-06-19 12:54 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...44d3f72e53.jpg

Shannon Nutt 10-07-19 06:53 AM

Okay, who's the genius at Netflix who decided Christmas Eve would be a good time to debut this?

Sorry, friends, family, God - I need to watch Lost in Space! :lol:

Giantrobo 10-07-19 03:10 PM

Can't wait :up:

Cellar Door 10-08-19 02:06 PM

Been looking foward to this coming back! The first season was fun and pretty slick-looking with regard to production design and effects.

Shannon Nutt 10-08-19 03:21 PM

I wonder if the Robot is missing because they'll have to show less of the suit this season (maybe they had issues with it) or if that's actually just a plot point that has nothing to do with production problems they had in Season 1 and we'll see just as much of him/it this season.

jpcamb 10-08-19 03:58 PM

looking forward to this but not sure I can rewatch season 1 again... it was good and enjoyable but not sure about revisiting it... Anyone restart this yet?

TomOpus 10-09-19 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 13620650)
.. Anyone restart this yet?

Might watch the last episode of S1.

Rob V 10-09-19 09:13 AM

I hope they tone down Dr. Smith... she was the worst part of the show by far.

melasnus 10-09-19 02:03 PM

I'm really surprised this has a 2nd season.
Not one of NF's best series...

Shannon Nutt 10-10-19 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by melasnus (Post 13621214)
I'm really surprised this has a 2nd season.
Not one of NF's best series...

It's my second-favorite show on NF, so YMMV.

dex14 12-05-19 09:25 AM

<iframe width="679" height="382" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Zdgt-JzJ6b0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lopper 12-05-19 11:46 AM

I will freely shit talk the majority of Netflix Original Series, but I kind of liked season one of Lost In Space. It was one of the few shows my whole family could/would watch together. The trailer for season 2 looks pretty good, but I've seen a whole lot of slick trailers for shows that ended up being hog shit.

dex14 12-24-19 06:48 AM

Season 2 is up.

Eric F 12-24-19 12:39 PM

Had no idea it was even coming out today.

Is it too much to hope they'll kill off Dr. Smith this season?

Inhumans99 12-24-19 10:07 PM

I am on episode 6 and so far I feel it is better than season 1. AVClub gave it a meh C+ review but I respectfully disagree. Granted, I have not finished the season but so far the stand out episode for me is Ep 5 titled Run, and of the stories in the episode Judy’s is the best (to say what she is running towards would be a major spoiler). Very little Robot action so far but that is okay, as I feel the eps can still stand on their own two feet.

phantom_azazel 12-25-19 07:33 AM

2x3

so tired of smith and her shit

barelypure 12-25-19 10:55 AM

Watched 1st 2 episodes. I'll give it a meh so far. I'll get back to the rest in a few days.

Inhumans99 12-26-19 12:52 AM

I just finished this up this evening and am happy to wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to this season as I thought it was fantastic. A very entertaining season and I eagerly look forward to Season 3 (but in reality I know to be patient considering how long it took for Season 2 to come out).

mndtrp 12-26-19 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 13621014)
I hope they tone down Dr. Smith... she was the worst part of the show by far.

Agreed. I'm guessing that's not the case though. Unless people here start saying she's either less prominent, or dialed way back, Season 2 will be put towards the bottom of my watch list. Other than her, I really liked the first season.

Neitzl 12-26-19 12:57 PM

I finished this today. I really liked this season more than the first and the reason? Dr. Smith. I hated her so much in the first season but in this one, she's actually pretty fun to watch and develop. I liked the Robinson sisters a lot too. The one thing I really got tired of was how everything that could go wrong usually did and always in rapid succession. Can't wait for season 3!

dolphinboy 12-26-19 02:07 PM

Thought it wasn’t great at the beginning but that could have had something to do with needing to get emotionally involved with a show that hasn’t been on in 19 months.

Definitely was enjoying it quite a bit from the middle episodes to the very end and with mostly good reviews, this being family entertainment, and ending on a massive cliffhanger, I can’t possibly fathom Netflix not giving us 1 or 2 more seasons.

I just hope the wait isn’t nearly so long for season 3.

TomOpus 12-29-19 09:27 AM

Enjoyed the season....and now the wait.

SmithsGuy 12-29-19 08:46 PM

Just finished S2 as well. I feared they had arrived at AC to find it exploded (by robots perhaps), but this is an interesting twist. Though now all the parents are scatted elsewhere ... still trying to figure out how Smith escaped this one.

Dscarpad 12-30-19 12:46 PM

Johnathan Harris realized, for good or bad, that the character of Dr Smith had to change as originally conceived or he would have been killed off. So he gave the character a buffoonish likability. This version of the character plays straight villain. She has no redeeming qualities, they are trying to shift the friendship to her and penny as a friendship with will might seem inappropriate, but that’s not really working either.

Eric F 12-30-19 05:17 PM

All the adults in the show are terrible people.

Mike86 12-30-19 05:29 PM

I never watched the original version of this show but know of it a bit. Is the new version worth watching through?

Cellar Door 12-31-19 04:59 PM

Just finished S2. I think I liked S1 more, but I did really enjoy this one and hope there is another season. This seems like it would be a pretty expensive show, with all the special effects.

The cons:
- too many 'rescue' episodes. S1 had several of these and S2 does, too. It just starts to feel too formulaic.
- the characters--who are portrayed as very smart--often make very dumb decisions
- bad science
- the ethics of continuing to use the alien engine and exploiting the Robot to do so are questionable. Will started to make that point, but got shut down by his mom. But, sure, let's piss off a much more highly advanced alien species by not returning their property and trying to kill them when they come to reclaim it.
- Will's obsession with the Robot is a bit overdone sometimes

The pros:
- this show is visually great
- I liked that much of the action this season was actually in space (in the Resolute or on a Jupiter)
- I actually like how Dr. Smith is developing, and I like Parker Posey's portrayal of her
- Penny, to me, has the best 'character' moments. For example when her friend told her he couldn't help her take his family's Jupiter because it could endanger his father, and Penny realized she was always asking and never giving in their friendship.
- Judy's backstory about her biological father and then her relationship with her dad, John, was touching and a great setup for that surprise ending.
- the Robot/Scarecrow (and Adler) plotline was well done. I like that the robots in general are still very much a mystery and that we don't really know their greater intent or motivation much of the time.

I hope Netflix gives the greenlight to a season 3 soon!

hdtv00 12-31-19 09:17 PM

I just wish they'd actually get Lost in Space. Not a great season but ok one. These waits between seasons is becoming far to much for me.

barelypure 01-01-20 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13662958)
I never watched the original version of this show but know of it a bit. Is the new version worth watching through?

This and the original have nothing in common except for the names. The original was a little more sophomoric and less serious in a Gilligan's Island sort of way.
I slogged thru S2. There are a lot of WTF moments but it's meant to be escape TV and it is that.

dhmac 01-21-20 12:22 PM

I finally finished Season 2 and, wow, what a mess of a season. This show is like a hamster wheel - a lot of motion going on but never actually getting anywhere. And the constant jump from one crisis to another crisis got tiresome, especially since it seemed like each new crisis was the direct result of someone's bad decision in the previous crisis. I was already disappointed in Season 1 going in, but the ending of that season with the Robinsons and Dr. Smith on the Jupiter 2 going through a portal in space away from all the other colonists seemed to be setting up a scenario like the TV series with them truly lost in space and completely on their own. But no, they ended up with all the other colonists again early in Season 2 to shortchange that promising setup.

The funny thing is as down as I am on this season and how disappointing this reboot has been, I like the cast and will probably still watch Season 3 if and when it ever shows up.

Cellar Door 02-21-20 06:42 PM

Renewed for Season 3!

ETA: Well, maybe not yet. The article I originally linked here actually contradicts itself and is probably just speculation.

TomOpus 02-21-20 08:48 PM

That's a horribly-written article. Hope the news is true.

Cellar Door 02-22-20 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 13691534)
That's a horribly-written article. Hope the news is true.

You're right, I saw that article linked elsewhere and only glanced at the first part of it. I've looked further and can't find any other source confirming a renewal yet, so I'm going to edit my post to reflect that.

Shannon Nutt 02-22-20 11:50 AM

Last time, Netflix renewed LIS about a month after Season 1 launched. It's been two months, and not a peep from Netflix or any of the actors. My guess is it's DOA, but we'll see.

johnnysd 02-24-20 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13691728)
Last time, Netflix renewed LIS about a month after Season 1 launched. It's been two months, and not a peep from Netflix or any of the actors. My guess is it's DOA, but we'll see.

That would suck. It's not the best TV show ever but it is unique and fun.