Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost in Space (Netflix) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 12/24/19

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lost in Space (Netflix) -- Season 2 Thread -- Premieres 12/24/19

Thought it wasn’t great at the beginning but that could have had something to do with needing to get emotionally involved with a show that hasn’t been on in 19 months.

Definitely was enjoying it quite a bit from the middle episodes to the very end and with mostly good reviews, this being family entertainment, and ending on a massive cliffhanger, I can’t possibly fathom Netflix not giving us 1 or 2 more seasons.

I just hope the wait isn’t nearly so long for season 3.
Old 12-29-19, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Enjoyed the season....and now the wait.
Old 12-29-19, 08:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished S2 as well. I feared they had arrived at AC to find it exploded (by robots perhaps), but this is an interesting twist. Though now all the parents are scatted elsewhere ... still trying to figure out how Smith escaped this one.

Old 12-30-19, 12:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Johnathan Harris realized, for good or bad, that the character of Dr Smith had to change as originally conceived or he would have been killed off. So he gave the character a buffoonish likability. This version of the character plays straight villain. She has no redeeming qualities, they are trying to shift the friendship to her and penny as a friendship with will might seem inappropriate, but that’s not really working either.
Old 12-30-19, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

All the adults in the show are terrible people.
Old 12-30-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I never watched the original version of this show but know of it a bit. Is the new version worth watching through?
Old 12-31-19, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Just finished S2. I think I liked S1 more, but I did really enjoy this one and hope there is another season. This seems like it would be a pretty expensive show, with all the special effects.

The cons:
- too many 'rescue' episodes. S1 had several of these and S2 does, too. It just starts to feel too formulaic.
- the characters--who are portrayed as very smart--often make very dumb decisions
- bad science
- the ethics of continuing to use the alien engine and exploiting the Robot to do so are questionable. Will started to make that point, but got shut down by his mom. But, sure, let's piss off a much more highly advanced alien species by not returning their property and trying to kill them when they come to reclaim it.
- Will's obsession with the Robot is a bit overdone sometimes

The pros:
- this show is visually great
- I liked that much of the action this season was actually in space (in the Resolute or on a Jupiter)
- I actually like how Dr. Smith is developing, and I like Parker Posey's portrayal of her
- Penny, to me, has the best 'character' moments. For example when her friend told her he couldn't help her take his family's Jupiter because it could endanger his father, and Penny realized she was always asking and never giving in their friendship.
- Judy's backstory about her biological father and then her relationship with her dad, John, was touching and a great setup for that surprise ending.
- the Robot/Scarecrow (and Adler) plotline was well done. I like that the robots in general are still very much a mystery and that we don't really know their greater intent or motivation much of the time.

I hope Netflix gives the greenlight to a season 3 soon!
Old 12-31-19, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I just wish they'd actually get Lost in Space. Not a great season but ok one. These waits between seasons is becoming far to much for me.
Old 01-01-20, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I never watched the original version of this show but know of it a bit. Is the new version worth watching through?
This and the original have nothing in common except for the names. The original was a little more sophomoric and less serious in a Gilligan's Island sort of way.
I slogged thru S2. There are a lot of WTF moments but it's meant to be escape TV and it is that.
Old 01-21-20, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I finally finished Season 2 and, wow, what a mess of a season. This show is like a hamster wheel - a lot of motion going on but never actually getting anywhere. And the constant jump from one crisis to another crisis got tiresome, especially since it seemed like each new crisis was the direct result of someone's bad decision in the previous crisis. I was already disappointed in Season 1 going in, but the ending of that season with the Robinsons and Dr. Smith on the Jupiter 2 going through a portal in space away from all the other colonists seemed to be setting up a scenario like the TV series with them truly lost in space and completely on their own. But no, they ended up with all the other colonists again early in Season 2 to shortchange that promising setup.

The funny thing is as down as I am on this season and how disappointing this reboot has been, I like the cast and will probably still watch Season 3 if and when it ever shows up.

Last edited by dhmac; 01-21-20 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-21-20, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Renewed for Season 3!

ETA: Well, maybe not yet. The article I originally linked here actually contradicts itself and is probably just speculation.

Last edited by Cellar Door; 02-22-20 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-21-20, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

That's a horribly-written article. Hope the news is true.
Old 02-22-20, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
That's a horribly-written article. Hope the news is true.
You're right, I saw that article linked elsewhere and only glanced at the first part of it. I've looked further and can't find any other source confirming a renewal yet, so I'm going to edit my post to reflect that.
Old 02-22-20, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Last time, Netflix renewed LIS about a month after Season 1 launched. It's been two months, and not a peep from Netflix or any of the actors. My guess is it's DOA, but we'll see.
Old 02-24-20, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Last time, Netflix renewed LIS about a month after Season 1 launched. It's been two months, and not a peep from Netflix or any of the actors. My guess is it's DOA, but we'll see.
That would suck. It's not the best TV show ever but it is unique and fun.
Old 02-24-20, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdtv00
I just wish they'd actually get Lost in Space. Not a great season but ok one. These waits between seasons is becoming far to much for me.
I keep thinking the same thing. For a show titled "Lost in Space," the family has never actually been "lost" (or if they have been, they haven't been too concerned about it. )
Old 03-09-20, 02:08 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Ending with Season 3.
https://tvline.com/2020/03/09/lost-i...sodes-netflix/

The final frontier is nigh for The Robinson Family: Netflix has renewed Lost in Space for a third and final season, to bow in 2021.

In announcing the news on Monday, showrunner/EP Zack Estrin revealed that the series was always intended to end with Season 3.

“From the beginning, we’ve always viewed this particular story of The Robinsons as a trilogy,” maintains Estrin, who has inked a new overall deal with Netflix to develop new series for the streamer. “It’s also worth noting that, with what these characters go through just trying to survive each episode — if anyone deserves to catch their breath before their next mission — it’s Will, Penny, Judy, Maureen, John, Don West, Dr. Smith… and The Robot. And, of course, Debbie the Chicken. So while this chapter of Lost In Space is coming to a rousing conclusion, I’m excited about continuing to explore new stories with my friends at Netflix, and for all of the incredible possibilities that lie ahead.”
Old 03-09-20, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, just saw the announcement. Glad it'll get another season, but kinda wish it could go on for longer.
Old 03-10-20, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad it's coming back to wrap things up. That said, I don't buy for a second that Zach Estrin ALWAYS planned a three-season arc. Too little went on in Season 2 to support that.