Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Walker (CW) - S: Jared Padalecki - Based on Walker, Texas Ranger -- Premieres 1/21/21

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Walker (CW) - S: Jared Padalecki - Based on Walker, Texas Ranger -- Premieres 1/21/21

Old 01-24-21, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,423 Posts
Re: Walker (CW) - S: Jared Padalecki - Based on Walker, Texas Ranger -- Premieres 1/21/21

It was a little rough around the edges and some rough audio mixing, but overall not bad. It's nothing even remotely like the original show. The only thing that it has in common is the character's name. They've set this up as a family drama and crime drama. The daughter has a contentious relationship with Walker, but she didn't annoy me.

Padalecki's real wife played his murdered wife. I'm curious if they will re-address her murder. It felt unresolved. I did like Lindsay Morgan from The 100 playing Walker's partner. They did have chemistry in their scenes.

Some good veterans as well. Coby Bell from Burn Notice as Walker's boss. And then Mitch Pileggi and Molly Hagan as his parents. Hagan actually did work with Chuck Norris in Code of Silence years ago when she was much younger in her 20s.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-24-21 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-24-21, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Walker (CW) - S: Jared Padalecki - Based on Walker, Texas Ranger -- Premieres 1/21/21

I wasn't real thrilled with the family drama and the crime drama seemed a little weak. I'm guessing the family drama story line will carry thru from show to show and then a crime of the week wrapped in with his wife's murder investigation getting some air time thrown in from time to time
Old 01-24-21, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't really care about Nielsen ratings anymore as most of the time, they are absolutely meaningless. But for anyone who might be curious. Walker was the most watched new CW show in 5 years.

https://ew.com/tv/walker-ratings-cw-...re-five-years/
Old 01-24-21, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I don't really care about Nielsen ratings anymore as most of the time, they are absolutely meaningless. But for anyone who might be curious. Walker was the most watched new CW show in 5 years.

https://ew.com/tv/walker-ratings-cw-...re-five-years/
Jaredís built a lot of good will and fans in the last 15 years. I have no real interest in the show but checked it out.
Old 02-01-21, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

I know this show isn't going to draw much talk here, but so far I think it's fine. The 2nd episode dealt more into the family dynamics. Also, Walker is trying to get re-certified as a Ranger. I think they have left some loose threads open about what happened to his dead wife. I do like Lindsey Morgan as Walker's partner. She is pretty hot.

They did reveal in episode 2 that Walker's brother Liam is gay and has a partner and he tried to adopt Walker's kids while he was away.

I read that Jared Padalecki had to speak to Chuck Norris and get his approval to make this series as Norris apparently has some kind of ownership stake in the rights to the character.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-01-21 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-01-21, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 490 Likes on 422 Posts

I hope the show doesn't lean so heavily on family melodrama. I'm already tired of the daughter's "conflict" with Walker and all her drama. The rest of the show mostly works okay. There hasn't been anything like Walker on the CW in years.
Old 02-03-21, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2021/02/the-cw-...er-1234686788/

CW orders 5 extra episodes. Walker will have an 18 episode season.

Also, it was renewed for a 2nd season
Old 02-05-21, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

This is a CBS show on the CW. I canít imagine many people sticking with this in a few weeks as there is no action.

Iíll give it another episode or two before I bail.
Old 02-20-21, 04:53 PM
Cool New Member

Reboot: "walker"

I've seen the first episode of Walker. I did not like it. I will not watch anymore of this show. I think everything needs to be changed about this show.

1. The plot/synopsis/setting or whatever needs to be changed.

2. Cordell Walker needs to be changed, into Brad Pitt or Chad Michael Murray

3. The whole cast needs be changed.

4. Cordell Walker should have a male partner. I know in Walker, Texas Ranger he did have a female partner, but his actual partner since the beginning was James Trivette, a male.

5. Cordell Walker should have no kids. It would make the show look better.

7. Cordell Walker was more like a boss. People looked up to him on the real "Walker, Texas, Ranger".

8. Cordell Walker on the real "Walker, Texas Ranger, was calm.

9. The Cordell Walker in the new show "Walker" is not the right face. He shows his emotions, and it seems like this Walker don't know what he's doing. He also looks goofy.

10. There should not be a boss. I thought Cordell walker was the boss. If there was a boss in the old "Walker, Texas Ranger" show I probably did not notice because I thought Cordell Walker was always the boss.

11. A remake of the real "Walker, Texas Ranger", would be sooooo much better.

Jared Padalecki is the guy that is playing Cordell Walker. I mean don't get me wrong, I've seen him act before. He appeared in "SuperNatural, House of Wax, and Friday the 13th. Jared Padalecki did great in those roles, but him as Cordell walker, that is an uppercase word, NO.

I saw the first episode. It was definitely TERRIBLE. That show "Walker" is not a must continue show. The new Walker is not no Walker, Texas Ranger, more like Walker, Terrible Ranger or Walker, the Rookie Ranger.

They need to remake the real actual Walker, Texas Ranger show using these people as the cast members.

Either Brad Pitt or Chad Michael Murray (Ranger Cordell Walker)

Lance Gross (James Trivette)

Lauren Sweetser (Alex Cahill)

Russell Hodgkinson (C.D. Parker)

Nicole Gale Anderson (Sydney Cooke)

Either Oliver Stark or Dustin Mcneer (Francis Gage)

"Everything different is not always the best different."

Every actor/actress can't play every role.

It's all about the right faces when having them act out roles.

I don't understand how the new show "WALKER" is still on. It should already be canceled. The show is dry. I just watched the 1st episode. The real ranger was calm, a boss, and someone that knows what he's doing.

PEOPLE...I know that y'all want to watch something new, but please don't just watch anything, because that's what these movies/shows people are going to keep making...ANYTHING.

I really liked watching the Walker, Texas Ranger show that Chuck Norris made. Now, I'm going to keep thinking that Chuck Norris show "Walker, Texas Ranger should have never been made if he lets this new "WALKER" show stay on any longer. Eyes of a ranger, you know what to do.
Old 02-20-21, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Reboot: "walker"

I see you’re a new poster. There’s a thread already. You’re entitled to your opinion, but this is not supposed to be an identical copycat of the original show. It’s a reimagined version with a version of the character that’s different. And was made by a different creative team. Jared Padalecki is not Chuck Norris. This version was written to his strengths. If you don’t like it, then that’s fine. And they aren’t going to make copycats of all the original characters. As you saw this version is a widower.

and all the names you listed is just fantasy casting. It’s not going to happen. This version is here and was already picked up for another season.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/64...1-21-21-a.html

Last edited by DJariya; 02-20-21 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-20-21, 05:02 PM
Cool New Member

Re: Reboot: "walker"

Oh wow! Thanks for letting me know. Since, I already posted it will it be moved there? Then, the "Walker" show should have never been made. The different creative team is shit, crap, garbage if they came up with this anything show. Strengths????????????? I didn't see it. This "Walker" show is a fantasy to the people that made it and to the ones that are watching it and thinking this show is the real thing. You know it's a lot of family members and friends to help out with this so called tv show by trying to boost it up, and they do that by making themselves and the ones that are watching the show more brainwash and delusional as ever.

Last edited by NicoleGvaRose; 02-21-21 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-20-21, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Episode 3 had Matt Barr from the CBS show Blood and Treasure. He was playing Walker’s childhood best friend who got into some trouble. Man that dude is ripped. Anyways the show is fine and watchable, but there isn’t a lot of stuff to talk about. The show is a little light on action though.
Old 02-20-21, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There definitely going for something different than the original Walker Texas Ranger. Norris was a competent bad ass playing on his established persona in the original. The new show is really more of a light action drama with token procedural aspects, heavily emphasizing Jared as a "bad boy" aimed at his female following.
Old 02-21-21, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

This show is not for the CW audience at all. It should be on CBS or Lifetime.

Old 09-20-21, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk God

So this was just added to HBO Max last week. Weird because it's a CBS produced show, but apparently The CW sold the off network rights to all their new shows to HBO Max.

Anyways, over the weekend, I finished the last 6 episodes of the season that I had be stalling on.

Just a few thoughts:

The mystery arc with the death of Walker's wife was resolved in episode 17 and finished in the finale. The person who killed her was someone close to Walker.

The season wrapped mostly, but there was a loose end that was shown in the final moments that will probably be saved for next season.

Overall, the season was alright. Not great by any means. I was a huge fan of the original Walker, Texas Ranger because I was a fan of Norris and it mixed his martial arts with old school Western along with weekly cop drama.

Trying to mix family drama and police procedural didn't always work. A lot of times bringing in Walker's family felt forced. This version of Walker is nothing at all like the original CBS series.

If I had to give the season a grade, overall it would be between a B- and C+ I like Padalecki, but I thought he was a little rough trying to transition from Sam Winchester to playing a cop and family man.
Old 09-20-21, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 164 Likes on 141 Posts

Has it really been 7 months since there was activity in this thread? Wow, I guess so. For some reason I thought I had posted in the last month or two. Anyway, Djariya, not a bad call on the season grade although I would be a bit more kind on the grade and probably give it no lower than a B. I caught up on the last 10-12 episodes a couple months back in mini-binges and I noticed that the show did not let questions linger forever, and the episodes just seemed to improve. I actually look forward to season 2 and would consider this show a pleasant surprise when all is said and done. I was a fan of the Norris Walker, but other than watching when the show first aired I have not re-visited the show. I remember buying my Mom DVD box sets of the seasons years back (I believe when Deep Discount DVD used to have those sales that generated 25+ pages of post in a thread) but I personally never watched the show again.

The one thing that took me a bit of getting used to is that the last time I saw Coby Bell regularly on TV he was on that Fox show about Mutants, and I had to adjust to him not being a villain I kept waiting for the shoe to drop that he was working against Walker behind his back, but nope...he is not the villain in the show. And yet, there is that small lingering feeling in the back of my head that he is a wee bit villain-like and is holding back key info from Walker, lol.
Old 09-20-21, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Has it really been 7 months since there was activity in this thread? Wow, I guess so. For some reason I thought I had posted in the last month or two. Anyway, Djariya, not a bad call on the season grade although I would be a bit more kind on the grade and probably give it no lower than a B. I caught up on the last 10-12 episodes a couple months back in mini-binges and I noticed that the show did not let questions linger forever, and the episodes just seemed to improve. I actually look forward to season 2 and would consider this show a pleasant surprise when all is said and done. I was a fan of the Norris Walker, but other than watching when the show first aired I have not re-visited the show. I remember buying my Mom DVD box sets of the seasons years back (I believe when Deep Discount DVD used to have those sales that generated 25+ pages of post in a thread) but I personally never watched the show again.

The one thing that took me a bit of getting used to is that the last time I saw Coby Bell regularly on TV he was on that Fox show about Mutants, and I had to adjust to him not being a villain I kept waiting for the shoe to drop that he was working against Walker behind his back, but nope...he is not the villain in the show. And yet, there is that small lingering feeling in the back of my head that he is a wee bit villain-like and is holding back key info from Walker, lol.
Coby Bell has played good guys before. He was a cop of 3rd watch and was also on Burn Notice as part of the team in the last few seasons. It was nothing shocking seeing him play a cop.
Old 09-20-21, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I stopped following weekly on the CW after about ten episodes. I didn't mind the cast but the series badly needs a strong female love interest opposite of Walker. I'll probably give the second season another chance but Jared's Walker isn't quite the male lead I was expecting from this show. It's a male lead written for female audiences.
Old 09-20-21, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I stopped following weekly on the CW after about ten episodes. I didn't mind the cast but the series badly needs a strong female love interest opposite of Walker. I'll probably give the second season another chance but Jared's Walker isn't quite the male lead I was expecting from this show. It's a male lead written for female audiences.
Really? He was still grieving the death of his wife and that was the underlying mystery of the whole season. It would have been stupid to force a "love interest" this early. the character was no where near ready to move on.
Old 10-29-21, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Lindsay Morgan, who plays Walker's partner, has quit the show for personal reasons.

Old 10-30-21, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 164 Likes on 141 Posts

Ugh…she is one of the big reasons I enjoy the show. It looks like Season 2 might be the end of the road for Walker. Wonder if the real reason will come out soon. Maybe another toxic workplace situation?

ETA: Took a look at the Deadline story and on the surface the parting seems amicable, still a major bummer and I will still hang with the show a bit longer. Wonder if she is a bit burnt out, as I did not realize she had a lengthy run on The 100.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 10-30-21 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-30-21, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Ugh…she is one of the big reasons I enjoy the show. It looks like Season 2 might be the end of the road for Walker. Wonder if the real reason will come out soon. Maybe another toxic workplace situation?

ETA: Took a look at the Deadline story and on the surface the parting seems amicable, still a major bummer and I will still hang with the show a bit longer. Wonder if she is a bit burnt out, as I did not realize she had a lengthy run on The 100.
It sounds like she just needs a break from working. Here's her goodbye post and video from the cast and crew of the show celebrating her birthday. This doesn't look like someone leaving a bad work environment. She just worked for 7 years on The 100 and then jumped into this show and then a freaking pandemic hit. It's understandable if she feels burnt out.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-30-21 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-01-21, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't remember a female lead walking away like this from a show almost certain to get a five year and likely longer run. It also blows up her boyfriend character's role on Walker. I'm not sure what they'll do with him.
Old 11-02-21, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

UghÖshe is one of the big reasons I enjoy the show. It looks like Season 2 might be the end of the road for Walker. Wonder if the real reason will come out soon. Maybe another toxic workplace situation?

Considering the open mental health struggles of Padaleck, I canít imagine he would have a toxic work place. I am taking it at face value and would not be surprised if he didnít encourage it for her well-being. I liked the actress and wish her well.
Old 02-21-22, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk God

They cast a new actress to play Walker's partner after Lindsey Morgan quit

She's currently on How I Met Your Father

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2612382/

Also, Larry Teng, noted TV director, is in New Mexico shooting the Pilot for the Walker Prequel "Walker Independence" It's basically a Western prequel similar to what 1883 is doing for Yellowstone.