TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Mosquito Coast (Apple TV+) — S: Justin Theroux — From the creator of Luther

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-19, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
The Mosquito Coast (Apple TV+) — S: Justin Theroux — From the creator of Luther

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-apple-1240147

Neil Cross ('Luther') will serve as showrunner on the drama based on the novel and 1986 feature film of the same name.

Justin Theroux is headed for Apple

The Leftovers grad has been tapped to star in the tech giant's adaptation of Mosquito Coast. The series, from Neil Cross (Luther), is based on the 1981 novel by Paul Theroux, Justin's uncle.

Mosquito Coast follows an idealist who uproots his family to Latin America. Cross and Tom Bissell will pen the first episode, with the former attached to serve as showrunner. Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) will executive produce and direct the pilot and subsequent episodes. The series hails from Fremantle and executive producers Alan Gasmer, Peter Jaysen and Bob Bookman. An episode count and premiere window has not yet been determined.

Mosquito Coast is the latest acting role for Theroux, whose credits include Netflix's Maniac, The District and Disney+'s upcoming live-action take on Lady and the Tramp (he will voice the Tramp). Additionally, he executive produced ABC's Live In Front of a Studio Audience alongside Norman Lear and Jimmy Kimmel. Theroux is set to return for the two follow-up live events that are currently in the works for the broadcaster.

For Cross' part, Mosquito Coast marks his latest TV foray following BBC's Luther, Hard Son and NBC's Crossbones. He is in postproduction on the feature Escape From New York.

Mosquito Coast was originally adapted into a 1986 feature starring Harrison Ford, Helen Mirren and River Phoenix.

Apple is set to launch Nov. 1 with a slate of originals, including the Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon drama The Morning Show, at a price of $5 per month. Other originals will launch in the months that follow as the iPhone-maker slowly but surely builds a library of star-studded projects from many of the industry's top creators.

Old 02-19-21, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk God

re: The Mosquito Coast (Apple TV+) — S: Justin Theroux — From the creator of Luther

First trailer. Comes out April 30th

Old 02-19-21, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts
Re: The Mosquito Coast TV series — S: Justin Theroux — From the creator of Luther — coming to Apple TV+

That was my first question : Is Justin Theroux related to Paul Theroux? I had no idea!
Old 04-20-21, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

re: The Mosquito Coast (Apple TV+) — S: Justin Theroux — From the creator of Luther

This trailer was posted a few weeks ago

Remember this comes out next Friday

Old 04-20-21, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Maybe now would be a good time to put the Harrison Ford movie on Blu-ray.
Old 04-29-21, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Reminder. This is up tomorrow for anyone here who might have interest.

It's a 7 episode season and will be posted weekly.

Here's the poster artwork

Old 04-29-21, 11:49 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: The Mosquito Coast TV series — S: Justin Theroux — From the creator of Luther — coming to Apple TV+

2 episodes tonight
Old 04-30-21, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts

I love Mellisa George and enjoyed Justin in the Leftovers so I will give this a shot. The trailer looks pretty decent, cant say I remember too much about the Harrison Ford movie so it should be a fun ride.
Old 04-30-21, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,176 Likes on 4,205 Posts

Old 04-30-21, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I will probably give this a whirl with my wife. Limited options for new stuff so this looks intriguing.
Old 05-01-21, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk God

So far this is just ok. 2nd episode had a great line though. "Hey white guy, go out white them."
Old 05-12-21, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Mosquito Coast (Apple TV+) — S: Justin Theroux — From the creator of Luther

I watched the first three episodes, for a 'brilliant dude' he makes some stupid choices, it's like MacGyver if he lacked common sense at times. I'm still curious where this is going to go but things like letting the kid make a phone call from the laundromat without being nearby to make sure she is calling who she says or flashing a literal bag of cash at someone you hardly know seems really fucking dumb.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (05-12-21)
Old 05-15-21, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: The Mosquito Coast (Apple TV+) — S: Justin Theroux — From the creator of Luther

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I watched the first three episodes, for a 'brilliant dude' he makes some stupid choices, it's like MacGyver if he lacked common sense at times. I'm still curious where this is going to go but things like letting the kid make a phone call from the laundromat without being nearby to make sure she is calling who she says or flashing a literal bag of cash at someone you hardly know seems really fucking dumb.
Hollywood writers love two bad crutches:
  1. Adults acting stupid to create drama. Unnecessary keeping of secrets, not picking up the bad guy's weapons or throwing away your own, not closing doors while walking through a building, etc.
  2. Children will always do lethally stupid things to put everybody else in danger, and they'll often do it more than once, which is why I generally hate children in most shows that I watch. Home Before Dark on Apple TV+ is one of the few shows with children that I can stand.
Cusm (06-11-21)
Old 06-07-21, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finished the series and it was decent overall but hardly must-watch TV. I really can not recall the movie at all so I didn't know where this was headed, kind of amazing that they managed to finish filming this in Mexico during the pandemic, if they had not they probably would need to recast the kids as I'm sure they would be really obviously older by the time they got back on it. As it was the son seemed to age over a year from first to the last episode. Would have liked two more episodes and no second season. Not sure I would watch a second season if it gets renewed unless it's available while For All Mankind is out as that, is the only show really worth the subscription for me thus far.

I liked how the dude chasing them used a network of kids to track them thru the city, had not seen anything like that done before in a movie/show but as a baddie, he was kind of a lightweight.
Old 06-09-21, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk God

I know most here simply can't keep up with every show. Me included. But, this news is a week old. This was picked up for a 2nd season by Apple

https://deadline.com/2021/06/the-mos...tv-1234767817/
uteotw (08-26-21)
Old 06-09-21, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk God

I liked this. It had some really stupid parts, but also some good stuff. I will keep watching.
Old 07-06-21, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I just binged it and really liked it. I still don't know what Justin's angle is 7 episodes in. Is he NSA, a killer, whistleblower, etc. I don't know.

The following 2 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
Cusm (07-07-21), Deftones (07-06-21)
Old 09-02-21, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I just binged it and really liked it. I still don't know what Justin's angle is 7 episodes in. Is he NSA, a killer, whistleblower, etc. I don't know.
Agree. Sure would have liked at least a little more info. by the end of S1 to keep me interested for S2. Overall an OK show, but a disappointing way to end the season.
Why So Blu? (09-02-21)
Old 10-12-22, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Nov 4th premiere date

Old 10-12-22, 04:00 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Excellent. Really enjoyed the first season.
Old 11-25-22, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

wow, totally missed that this was coming back. Was looking at AppleTV and saw that about 5 episodes are up. Watched the first two and I really liked the first one but the second one was a bit of a let down.
Old 11-27-22, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

I still need to finish the season 1 finale.
liked the show enough but simply forgot about it.
Old 01-11-23, 11:44 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Finished up season 2 this week. Definitely not on par with the first season and felt it meandered quite a bit across several storylines that never quite came together. No word yet if the last episode was a season or series finale.
Old 01-12-23, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

as much as I love Justin and Melissa I don't see myself finishing this season.
Old 01-12-23, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I was waiting on all the episodes to be out. I watched the first 2 episodes and it was just ok.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.