Saved by the Bell (Peacock) -- reboot series

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Saved by the Bell (Peacock) -- reboot series

Old 09-18-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 276 Likes on 207 Posts
re: Saved by the Bell (Peacock) -- reboot series

Originally Posted by fujishig
It's not a reboot if it's a continuation, though.
Yes, I would call it a continuatin as well, or a sequel to the original tv show(s). Saved By the Bell: The College Years wasn't called a reboot. It was a continuation from the other show. Also, the original Saved by the Bell was a continuation of Good Morning Miss Bliss, but if we go by the usage from this article, the original show could be called a reboot as well.

A reboot is where you completely disregaurd all previously established continuity of a serialized production or franchise and reimagine the premise for a more "modern' audience. since this new show wouldn't disregaurd the previously established continuity, it really can't be a reboot. While the new Star Trek (2009) movie was considered to be a reboot, it never really disregaurded the previous continuity. It just took place in an alternate reality for the most part. But it still had Spock (Prime) in it so continuity wasn't fully disregaurded and it still took place in the continuity of that multiverse"
Old 09-18-19, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
A lot of people don't remember the New Class mostly because it seems they changed the cast almost every season.
The main reason I don't remember much of it was because I was getting into high school, and didn't spend much time watching anything but late-night MTV. I'd occasionally catch an episode Saturday morning, but nowhere near as many as the other seasons.
Old 09-18-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
The main reason I don't remember much of it was because I was getting into high school, and didn't spend much time watching anything but late-night MTV. I'd occasionally catch an episode Saturday morning, but nowhere near as many as the other seasons.
Yeah, that's where syndication came in. Thanks robin2099 for correcting me, I didn't realize the New Class was ever re-run, but certainly the fact that the original (and even the Miss Bliss episodes) were run constantly for so many years contributes to how many people were exposed to it. Well, that plus (for many red blooded teenaged boys of the era) Thiessen.
Old 09-18-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
It's not a reboot if it's a continuation, though.
I think the proper word is "revival."
Old 09-18-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/mar...bc-1203340581/

Mark-Paul Gosselaar says he was never asked to participate. He only learned about it through the trades.

He says he would be interested, but he understands why NBC never reached out since he's contracted to ABC.
Old 09-18-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/mar...bc-1203340581/

Mark-Paul Gosselaar says he was never asked to participate. He only learned about it through the trades.

He says he would be interested, but he understands why NBC never reached out since he's contracted to ABC.
Probably for another thread but do I remember correctly that Franklin and Bash is being brought back? Could have sworn I saw an announcement for it earlier this year.
Old 09-18-19, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Noonan
Probably for another thread but do I remember correctly that Franklin and Bash is being brought back? Could have sworn I saw an announcement for it earlier this year.
No you're mistaken. There was a photo on social media of MPG and Breckin Meyer together just hanging out and people were assuming, Oh you guys are working together again? Is Franklin and Bash coming back?

Old 09-18-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

Dammit D:
Old 09-18-19, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The interview was posted earlier. But it boggles my mind that they would name drop his character, and even put it in the description, and not at least get him for a voiceover or let him know it was coming out.
Old 09-19-19, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

MPG is starring in ABC's black-ish prequel, mixed-ish.
Old 09-20-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very odd (or possibly a lie) about MPG not knowing about it. He, Berkeley and Lopez were all at a big fan convention in Toronto a few weeks ago. Surely the other two would have told him, "hey, new SBTB is coming out and we're in it!"
Old 10-02-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So you know the guy that writes and narrates all the Funny or Die "Zach Morris is Trash" videos? Like:

or this rendition of the most famous SBTB episode ever:

Well:

Old 10-03-19, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

Dammit fujishig, now I'm addicted to watching these videos... they are fucking hilarious and on point.
Old 10-08-19, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever happened to that Jimmy Fallon reunion attempt? I remember MPG showing up in full Zach role and it being awesome.
Old 12-18-19, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk God

https://tvline.com/2019/12/17/saved-...cipal-toddman/

Sorry no Dennis Haskins as Belding.

John Michael Higgins from the Pitch Perfect trilogy was cast as the new principal.

Old 12-18-19, 06:01 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

I wouldn't have expected Dennis Haskins to be in the role as principal still.

I'm sure he'll have a cameo of some sort. Maybe he'll be superintendent. Or just retired and brought on to help in a "Save Bayside" / "Save The Max" sort of way.
Old 12-18-19, 06:29 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I am one of the few who enjoyed the new class and would like to see some cameos from them

Ashley Lynn Cafagna was off the scale and Natalie Ciguletto
Old 12-20-19, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Mr. Belding retired at the end of the New Class series. For some reason, I thought Slater and Jessie were going to be co-principals.
Old 01-06-20, 10:54 AM

The Saved by the Bell TV sequel has cast its lead.

Champions breakout Josie Totah will star in the half-hour comedy from Great News creator Tracey Wigfield. The series is expected to launch this year on NBCUniversal's forthcoming streamer Peacock.

Original stars Mario Lopez and Elizabeth Berkley will reprise their roles as A.C. Slater and Jessie Spano, respectively, in the single-camera comedy that explores what happens when California Gov. Zack Morris (Mark Gosselaar's role) gets into hot water for closing too many low-income high schools and proposes the affected students be sent to the highest-performing schools in the state — including Bayside High.

Totah will star as Lexi, a beautiful, sharp-tongued cheerleader and the most popular girl at Bayside High who is both admired and feared by her fellow students.

The role brings Totah back into the NBCUniversal fold after she starred in NBC and Universal TV's short-lived Mindy Kaling-produced comedy Champions. Totah, who came out as transgender in a moving Time essay in August 2018, is fresh off a recurring role on Netflix's No Good Nick. Her credits includeSpider-Man: Homecoming and Amazon's Lee Daniels-produced pilot Good People. She is repped by WME and Rise Management.

The new Saved by the Bell was picked up straight to series in September. The comedy hails from writer Wigfield and is produced by Universal Television, where the 30 Rock grad and Great News creator recently renewed her overall deal. Wigfield will serve as showrunner and executive produce alongside original series creator Peter Engel and Franco Bario (Great News). Lopez and Berkley will also produce.

NBC's streaming service, Peacock, is set to launch in April with originals joining the lineup in summer 2020. Saved by the Bell is part of an ambitious slate that includes a Battlestar Galactica reboot from Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail, among several other projects. Details about Peacock will be unveiled Jan. 16 during an NBCUniversal investor presentation.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-totah-1266269

I guess I missed this was a single camera comedy (unless it is misreported). That'll be interesting. I prefer those, but it seems like it would change the dynamic of this show.
Old 01-06-20, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if her being transgender will play a role in the show or if they'll just ignore it.
Old 01-06-20, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Governor Zack?
Old 01-09-20, 04:49 PM

“Saved by the Bell” fans can relax: Zack Morris (Mark-Paul Gosselaar, currently starring on ABC’s “mixed-ish”) will be in the “Saved by the Bell” sequel series for upcoming Comcast streaming service Peacock after all.

“Everybody can sleep well at night,” Gosselaar joked at an ABC party Wednesday during the Television Critics Association winter 2020 press tour. “I think Tiffani [Thiessen] has been engaged with. It looks like you will have us in some capacity.”

When the show was announced in 2019, the description included mention of Gosselaar’s Zack Morris character, now California’s governor, getting into a scandal for closing too many low-income schools and trying to rectify the controversy by sending the affected students to the best-performing schools, including Bayside High. But at the time of the announcement, Gosselaar hadn’t been contacted about returning.

Original series stars Mario Lopez (as A.C. Slater) and Elizabeth Berkley (as Jessie Spano) are already confirmed to be on board.

Just don’t expect Zack Morris to appear regularly on the new “Bell” — Gosselaar’s “mixed-ish” contract precludes that.

“I’m happy to be a part of it,” Gosselaar said of the new “Bell” from writer Tracey Wigfield (“30 Rock,” “Great News”). “What I’ve read so far, I’m good.”
https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-r...s/202001090153
Old 01-11-20, 06:55 PM

Old 01-12-20, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 918 Likes on 641 Posts

OMG that's so totally rad!
Old 01-12-20, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk God

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hol...evival-1268473

Mark-Paul Gosselaar has officially signed on to play Zack again. He’s getting an Executive Producer credit and will appear in 3 episodes. So he’s getting paid. He’s supposedly not allowed to appear in more due to his ABC deal.

Tiffani-Amber Thiessen is in talks to return as well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.