DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Saved by the Bell (Peacock) -- reboot series (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/648613-saved-bell-peacock-reboot-series.html)

dex14 09-17-19 08:31 AM

Saved by the Bell (Peacock) -- reboot series

NBCUniversal’s newly named Peacock streaming service will feature several original series, the company said Tuesday, including a pair of reboots from the vaults: a newly unveiled Saved By the Bell with original castmembers including Elizabeth Berkley and Mario Lopez.

Saved By the Bell, which celebrated its 30th anniversary last month, was a high school-set comedy that ran on NBC for four seasons from 1989-1992. It starred Mark-Paul Gosselaar as Zack Morris, the fulcrom of a group that included A.C. Slater (Lopez), Jessie Spano (Berkley), Kelly Kapowski (Tiffani Thiessen), “Screech” Powers (Dustin Diamond), Lisa Turtle (Lark Voorhies) and Dennis Haskins as Principal Belding. A spinoff, Saved By the Bell: The College Years, ran one season in 1993-94.

NBCU said Emmy-winning 30 Rock writer-producer Tracey Wigfield is executive producing the reboot. The original series hailed from NBC Productions.

SAVED BY THE BELL (reboot)
Logline: When California governor Zack Morris gets into hot water for closing too many low-income high schools, he proposes they send the affected students to the highest performing schools in the state – including Bayside High. The influx of new students gives the over privileged Bayside kids a much needed and hilarious dose of reality.
EP/W: Tracey Wigfield
P/T: Mario Lopez
P/T: Elizabeth Berkley
EP: Peter Engel, Franco Bario
Studio: Universal Television
https://deadline.com/2019/09/saved-b...ck-1202736699/

Noonan 09-17-19 08:35 AM

re: Saved by the Bell (Peacock) -- reboot series

Did College Years only run for 1 season? Wow, I didn't realize it was so short. I enjoyed it.

Based on the tag line, MPG will be in this? I saw he's Rainbow's father in mixed'ish this fall.

Goat3001 09-17-19 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13609149)
Based on the tag line, MPG will be in this? I saw he's Rainbow's father in mixed'ish this fall.

I would think if MPG was any more than a cameo character that they'd note that in the description. Sounds to me like he'll be an off-screen presence with Slater and Jesse running things at Bayside.

I'm a fan of the original (even College Year(s) and New Class) so I'll be checking it out.

fujishig 09-17-19 09:03 AM

Yeah, I always thought College Years was more than one season, but I think that's because I thought there was a season before they convinced Tiffany to rejoin the cast and it turns out she was only gone for the pilot. I think the New Class version ran for much much longer, which is weird because absolutely nobody can remember anything about it.

I'm kind of surprised Zack Morris isn't in jail in this timeline but governor of CA also works.

mndtrp 09-17-19 09:55 AM

I enjoyed all the various incarnations, although I can't remember much from the New Class other than the feeling that Screech needed to get over his shtick. 30 Rock was great, so if this writer/producer can swing the same quality, this could be good. I have to imagine Dennis Haskins will show up at least once. He seems to be down for anything SbtB.

Geofferson 09-17-19 11:17 AM

governor Zach Morris? Ha, I'm in. :up:

stingermck 09-17-19 01:07 PM

I need it be gritty like Riverdale. Screech selling jingle jangle at the Max :lol:

Mike86 09-17-19 01:21 PM

I mean I realize the show was little more than nineties cheese, but Zach became governor? Really? More believable would be if he was mayor or something a bit lower level.

fujishig 09-17-19 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13609299)
I mean I realize the show was little more than nineties cheese, but Zach became governor? Really? More believable would be if he was mayor or something a bit lower level.

He was a guy who could stop time, break the fourth wall, and could basically do anything he wanted and never get in trouble for it. Not hard for a guy like that to become governor.

Plus, obviously, he's trash:

https://www.funnyordie.com/zack-morris-is-trash

Noonan 09-17-19 01:26 PM

Meh, he came from a rich family and had a cell phone in the mid 90's. People like that got connections.

Red Dog 09-17-19 02:58 PM

Why not? Look who is our President now in reality.

Mike86 09-17-19 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog (Post 13609364)
Why not? Look who is our President now in reality.

:lol: Fair point. Just feels a bit over the top even by the standards of the original show but I guess it’s whatever.

DthRdrX 09-17-19 04:15 PM

Kidding me? Zach as a low life politician is FN perfection. :lol:

DJariya 09-17-19 04:21 PM

I could see them getting Mark-Paul appearing in the Pilot episode in a small part and then the rest of the season will be just him named in passing.

He was just interviewed a day ago by ET Canada. The mention is at 4:20-ish. He's not sure if he will be involved since he's contracted to ABC, but he would like to

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2iMWMSIfL_k" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

devilshalo 09-17-19 06:25 PM

What about Tiffani Theissen, since she would be first lady of CA, right? Also, wasn't Slater with someone else and not Jessie at the end of College Years?

dex14 09-17-19 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 13609478)
What about Tiffani Theissen, since she would be first lady of CA, right? Also, wasn't Slater with someone else and not Jessie at the end of College Years?

He got involved with a Vegas mobster’s girl in the wedding movie.

Red Hood 09-17-19 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp (Post 13609181)
I enjoyed all the various incarnations, although I can't remember much from the New Class other than the feeling that Screech needed to get over his shtick. 30 Rock was great, so if this writer/producer can swing the same quality, this could be good. I have to imagine Dennis Haskins will show up at least once. He seems to be down for anything SbtB.

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13609160)
Yeah, I always thought College Years was more than one season, but I think that's because I thought there was a season before they convinced Tiffany to rejoin the cast and it turns out she was only gone for the pilot. I think the New Class version ran for much much longer, which is weird because absolutely nobody can remember anything about it.

I'm kind of surprised Zack Morris isn't in jail in this timeline but governor of CA also works.

A lot of people don't remember the New Class mostly because it seems they changed the cast almost every season. Still, the New Class had some of the most gorgeous girls on TV at the time and I believe they even had a crossover with the other teen show of the era, Hang Time.
These are some of the girls from the New Class

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...4da4f94899.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...683a577910.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...33f4420803.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...fdcdda8ce3.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...0c560e4544.jpg

fujishig 09-17-19 09:04 PM

This thread is now under Chris Hansen watch.

I was going to mention what Red Hood said, that the only thing people probably remember about New Class was the girls (I had a crush on Cigliuti). I don't think they ever even put it in syndication despite the high number of episodes.

movieguru 09-17-19 09:13 PM

.......Still not many news services understand what the word "reboot" means".

DJariya 09-17-19 09:18 PM

"Reboot" from that I gather is re-starting a cancelled or old franchise.

fujishig 09-17-19 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13609585)
"Reboot" from that I gather is re-starting a cancelled or old franchise.

It's not a reboot if it's a continuation, though.

devilshalo 09-18-19 12:55 AM

I had such a thing for Lindsey McKeon...

robin2099 09-18-19 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13609577)
This thread is now under Chris Hansen watch.

I was going to mention what Red Hood said, that the only thing people probably remember about New Class was the girls (I had a crush on Cigliuti). I don't think they ever even put it in syndication despite the high number of episodes.

The New Class actually was in syndication for about three years. It aired on USA in a block with USA High. As for TNC I rewatched all 7(yes, 7) seasons on DVD recently and the only thing that is really memorable about it is Belding and Screech, the episode where Zack, Slater and Lisa come back, and that is pretty much it. Also the girls were hotter but way less memorable.
It's very forgetful for the following reasons:
1. Each season had a different cast with sometimes up to half the cast being replaced.
2. The first season it really comes across has a bad clone of the original, and while it goes on it tries to become its own thing, what it becomes still is not very good.
3. Belding and Screech become complete idiots where every episode they have some type of Laurel and Hardy subplot. One episode featured a sideplot where Screech puts a plaster mold on Beldings head that he can't get off and Belding wanders the streets of Paris.
4. Each season tried desperately to have another Zack Morris(the blonde charismatic schemer) and Kelly(the girl next door bomb shell) and each try failed. Miserably. Though I still have massive crushes on Natalia Cigluiti, Sarah Lancaster, Lyndsey Mckeon and Ashley Cafagna.
Now on that note, I can't wait for this sequel series. I think Governor Zack Morris is absolutely brilliant and I think this could be done really well.

fujishig 09-18-19 08:19 AM

Honestly it will all depend on casting of the younger actors and how "serious" they try to make it. Not that I'm subscribing to Peacock anytime soon just for this, though.

Rob V 09-18-19 10:05 AM

I guess I can't wrap my brain around why these shows are coming to a streaming service. I can't get thru Neflix and Hulu content let alone adding native cable content & HBO. If this is another subscription based service, I'm out.