Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Unbelievable (Netflix) - S: Toni Collette, Merrit Wever, Kaitlyn Dever - premieres 9/13/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Unbelievable (Netflix) - S: Toni Collette, Merrit Wever, Kaitlyn Dever - premieres 9/13/19

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-19, 06:57 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QTIkUzkbzQk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Inspired by real events, a teen reports and eventually recants her reported rape, while two female detectives, states away, investigate evidence that could reveal the truth.

Based on The Marshall Project and ProPublica Pulitzer Prize-winning article, "An Unbelievable Story of Rape," written by T. Christian Miller and Ken Armstrong, and the This American Life radio episode, “Anatomy of Doubt”, with episodes directed by Oscar nominees Susannah Grant and Lisa Cholodenko, "Unbelievable" is a story of unspeakable trauma, unwavering tenacity, and astounding resilience.

Showrunner Susannah Grant executive produces the series, from CBS Television Studios, along with Sarah Timberman, Carl Beverly, Lisa Cholodenko, Ayelet Waldman, Michael Chabon, Katie Couric, Richard Tofel, Neil Barsky, Robyn Semien, and Marie.
Old 09-12-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Re: Unbelievable (Netflix) - S: Toni Collette, Merrit Wever, Kaitlyn Dever - premieres 9/13/19

Knowing the story I will have to pass on this. Nothing more really than a good L&O episode.
Old 09-13-19, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: Unbelievable (Netflix) - S: Toni Collette, Merrit Wever, Kaitlyn Dever - premieres 9/13/19

I see myself eventually getting to this. It has strong reviews
Old 09-13-19, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Knowing the story I will have to pass on this. Nothing more really than a good L&O episode.
This
Old 09-13-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Is this supposed to discourage me from watching it? Cuz that description makes it sound like must-see TV. A "good L&O episode" is better than 75% of all other forms of movies and television, and I'm being conservative with that percentage.
Old 09-13-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Is this supposed to discourage me from watching it? Cuz that description makes it sound like must-see TV. A "good L&O episode" is better than 75% of all other forms of movies and television, and I'm being conservative with that percentage.
LMAO I thought the same thing. I watch L&O reruns literally every day week at some point (the original, not any of the spin-offs).
Old 09-13-19, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Yeah, I was just thinking, "I'd like to watch a really good episode of Law and Order."
Old 09-15-19, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you don't already know the story yeah it may be worth watching. I would not know as I have not seen it nor plan too. I thought the story would make a good L&O episode and am pretty sure they have already done something similar. I didn't find the story all that remarkable and it is not too hard to figure out what really happened.
Old 09-23-19, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched the first three episodes last night. Nothing amazing but good enough considering I don't know the story.

As of now, NOT as good as a good L&O episode...
Old 09-23-19, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the update!
Old 09-23-19, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,002 Likes on 622 Posts

I have watched the first four episodes. I don't know the original story, so it's all new to me.

I think it's very good so far. It's not a 'thriller'. It's kind of slow, but still interesting. The three main actresses--Toni Collette, Merritt Wever (Godless, The Walking Dead), and Kaitlyn Dever (Justified)--are all giving strong performances.
Old 09-24-19, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished it up last night. Decent show (although I'm saying that without knowing how close to the real story it is). Curious to see how close it was now. Feel real bad for what Marie went through. Saddest part, I'm sure it's fairly common in this country.

Last edited by Noonan; 09-24-19 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-24-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 388 Likes on 278 Posts

Wife and I finished it yesterday. Watchable but to me not bingeable. Good cast but something about it just sort of moves along a bit too slowly until the end, Would have been better if they cut at least one episode. I was really surprised it was not wrapped up ep 7 as it easily could have been maybe even 6 instead of 7 eps would be better as the final one felt like a lot of filler. Merritt Weaver lost a little weight and looks pretty good. She seems like she would be cool to hang out with/down to earth... the girl from Justified was also pretty good in this.

I was surprised to see "Dobber" from coach / Patrick Starr / Tom Cullen; dude has not aged well at all... didn't realize he was Patrick until looking at IMDB and now I cant believe I didn't realize it sooner... LOL
Old 09-24-19, 12:09 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Acting was great, but it didn't need to be an 8 episode series.
Old 09-24-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I was surprised to see "Dobber" from coach / Patrick Starr / Tom Cullen; dude has not aged well at all... didn't realize he was Patrick until looking at IMDB and now I cant believe I didn't realize it sooner... LOL
Really? How can you not notice that voice? Maybe I just watched Coach way too much in the 90's....

Agree it could have gone one episode left. And for a show that's based on a real event, I was hoping to get some info on what the real people are up to since.
Old 09-27-19, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,002 Likes on 622 Posts

I watched the last two episodes tonight. A strong finish to a good series. I am glad they devoted a whole episode to the denouement, after the rapist was caught. A show like this is kind of inherently frustrating to watch, because no outcome could have made things right for the victims. At least they got some justice. Marie's story was heartbreaking. Dever did a great job in that role.
Old 09-27-19, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I have watched the first four episodes. I don't know the original story, so it's all new to me.

I think it's very good so far. It's not a 'thriller'. It's kind of slow, but still interesting. The three main actresses--Toni Collette, Merritt Wever (Godless, The Walking Dead), and Kaitlyn Dever (Justified)--are all giving strong performances.
Originally Posted by dex14
Acting was great, but it didn't need to be an 8 episode series.
I don't know the original story either. And I've watched the first two episodes so far because a friend begged me to. It's really good (great cast), but damn does it move at a glacier pace. I'm not binge watching because it is so slow. Agree that it probably doesn't need to be 8 episodes.
Old 09-29-19, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

I finished it up today and I thought it was good. Nothing amazing, but better than those crappy TV shows of the same nature.

I didn't know it was based on true events, so I went in fresh.
Old 10-22-19, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Marie's story was heartbreaking. Dever did a great job in that role.
Thought she crushed it. Really conveyed the vulnerability. Surprised by how much I felt for the character.