Reload this Page >

Mr. Robot (USA) -- The Fourth and Final Season -- premieres 10/6/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mr. Robot (USA) -- The Fourth and Final Season -- premieres 10/6/19

Old 12-03-19, 02:31 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts
Re: Mr. Robot (USA) -- The Fourth and Final Season -- premieres 10/6/19

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Now what are they are going to spend 4 more episodes doing?
I haven't watched any of it yet... but wow, this season is 13 episodes??? I thought it was only 10. I haven't really been paying attention.
I guess I'll try and binge over the holiday break and be done for the finale.
Old 12-03-19, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

Those dudes shoot themselves in the head without question rather than getting caught. I'm sure that training means they won't do an automatic heel turn just cause they won't have a paycheck.

I'm really glad I came back for season four as well. It's proven to be on part with season one. Now what are they are going to spend 4 more episodes doing?
That's an excellent point.

Originally Posted by dex14
I haven't watched any of it yet... but wow, this season is 13 episodes??? I thought it was only 10. I haven't really been paying attention.
I guess I'll try and binge over the holiday break and be done for the finale.
??? GTFO of this thread, until you've watched it. There's a lot that can be (and has been) spoiled.

I'd hate to see a good season diminished, and it has been a good season.
Old 12-03-19, 02:41 PM

I haven't read much of anything and anything I did I haven't processed.
Old 12-03-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Those dudes shoot themselves in the head without question rather than getting caught. I'm sure that training means they won't do an automatic heel turn just cause they won't have a paycheck.
That could only be because they're family/loved ones would be threatened. No money to pay assassins, no threat!
That's the whole point - take away all their money, they should have zero power over anyone.
Old 12-05-19, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Viral marketing has gotten out of control

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/05/polit...orp/index.html
Old 12-05-19, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

There was a blink and you'll miss it shot in the Deus Group meeting that had a shot of someone who looked exactly like trump from the back.
Old 12-05-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

I was very down on this show for season 2 (which was terrible) and 3 (which was just low-grade poor). I stuck around because this was the final season and I am very glad I did. This is what the show should have been all along.
Old 12-05-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 137 Likes on 103 Posts

Good episode. Props to Darlene for thinking on the fly and using the doxxing to get Deus members outside.
Old 12-11-19, 08:03 AM

Episode 5 was an exceptional hour of television. I honestly didn’t even realize there was minimal dialogue until close to the end. It was just so well directed, edited, scored, sound designed, etc.

The chase sequence was amazing. You don’t even see stuff like that in movies. I absolutely loved those shots where they would zoom out showing him running down city blocks.

Esmail needs to get a shot at a big budget film.
Old 12-11-19, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Episode 5 was an exceptional hour of television. I honestly didn’t even realize there was minimal dialogue until close to the end. It was just so well directed, edited, scored, sound designed, etc.

The chase sequence was amazing. You don’t even see stuff like that in movies. I absolutely loved those shots where they would zoom out showing him running down city blocks.

Esmail needs to get a shot at a big budget film.
Agreed. Esmail is probably a better director than writer. Which makes me went to check out Homecoming....
Old 12-17-19, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did White Rose's machine just transport us to an alternate universe?
Old 12-17-19, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think what we saw at the end of the episode is probably going to end up being Elliot's mind, and the Elliot there is the 'real' Elliot that has been buried there while Mr. Robot and the other Elliot deal with the real world.
Old 12-19-19, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

OK, I just caught up with the show, so want to some speculation on the finale. This is based partially on the sneak peak of the finale, so spoilers I guess?

Spoiler:
So the last quarter of the episode is us seeing what we assume to be our Elliot in an alternate universe/timeline. However, at the very end we see another Elliot. I think that's our Elliot, and the Elliot we'd been watching is the Elliot from the alternate universe. Going forward in this post, I'll be using "our" to refer to the universe/characters that we've been watching the past few seasons on the show, and "alt" to refer to this new universe and characters.

So I think our Elliot crossed over to this alt universe at the point Alt Elliot starts getting a headache. Alt Elliot does seem to have some knowledge/confusion about our universe, hence him slipping and calling F Corp "E Corp," and being weirded out by some things. I think the "headache" is a tenuous psychic link between the two Elliots. I also think the earthquake, which the alt news said originated in Washington Township, was caused by the machine/power plant exploding in our universe, some of that energy crossed over. But based on the preview shot of our Elliot waking up in an empty field, I don't think the machine or power plant was ever built in the alt world.

So I think the finale will open up showing us what our Elliot was doing during the time we were watching Alt Elliot. First off, he wakes up in the field, then he heads back to NYC. He gets to the Alt Dad's Mr Robot shop right when Alt Elliot calls Alt Dad. Our Elliot grab's Alt Dad's cell phone, but freaks out when he sees the missed call from "Elliot," and drops the phone on the floor, where Alt Dad finds it. Next, I think our Elliot steals Alt Elliot's wallet. I'm not sure when or where this happens, maybe pickpocketing him on the street? This is why Alt Elliot is missing his wallet. Our Elliot then goes to Alt Angela's apartment, where her parents let him him, thinking he's Alt Elliot, up until Alt Elliot calls, which causes Alt Angela's mom to hang up the call and drop a glass of wine, which gets cleaned up and put in the trash. After that, our Elliot goes to Alt Elliot's apartment, which is where we catch up. There's probably additional details that will be revealed, but I think that explains all the odd things that went unexplained in this past episode.

As for whats going on.... not sure. I don't think it's in Elliot's head though. I think this is something real, and what White Rose has been striving for. But the machine isn't finished, or doesn't have enough power, so I think this trip into an alt universe is temporary for our Elliot. I think the headache/psychic link is meant to suggest that maybe White Rose intended for everyone from our world to merge with their Alt counterparts, like one body but two minds. I think White Rose has done this before, perhaps first with herself, and then to convince Angela. Now, I don't think our White Rose would've had any qualms about killing Alt White Rose and taking her place, but I think the trip is temporary, and people are pulled back into our dimension. But, when they come back, they come back a bit back in time. Perhaps White Rose has blown up that power plant multiple times, the first time just sacrificing everyone else to get herself over to the alternate universe. Maybe it's a bubble universe created by the machine that collapses, or the link between worlds is just too tenuous and breaks. But when she got back to our world, she realized she had jumped back in time a bit. Not a lot, like a few minutes, but enough to stop the power plant explosion. Now she uses the machine sparingly to convince a few select others, like Angela and Elliot. White Rose killed herself because she know that when Elliot pops back into our world, he'll be back before she kills herself, and can stop her. Her death illustrates to Elliot, who will return to that isolated room, that not only did he jump universes, he went back in time, and can even reverse a death.

Now, there's a few more unanswered questions, like who is Elliot's other personality, and what did Tyrell find in the forest. Also, I'm not quite sure if the alt world is a parallel universe, or an altered timeline. But going back to the idea of a psychic merger, what if Elliot's other personality is a time traveler? Another him, but from another timeline or universe, who reject's White Rose's plan of a "perfect world," and instead uses the machine to travel to a young Elliot's mind. But since young Elliot already has multiple personalities, the traveler's mind doesn't fully merge and becomes another alternate personality. This one only wakes up occasionally to make sure things are going along the right path to stop White Rose's plan, but can't wake up fully or reveal himself to our Elliot until our timeline catches up with his.

I'm still stumped on what Tyrell found in the forest though.

Old 12-22-19, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
I think what we saw at the end of the episode is probably going to end up being Elliot's mind, and the Elliot there is the 'real' Elliot that has been buried there while Mr. Robot and the other Elliot deal with the real world.
wow, I feel like I'm never right on theories with shows like this but I got it

Old 12-23-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Maybe if I revisit it in a few years I'll change my mind but I was disappointed with the finale. Not Dexter or Lost level but maybe slightly closer to Quantum Leap disappointment. I feel like whenever you have characters sitting around explaining things to the audience it's no longer interesting. After the initial mystery with the alt universe evaporated I lost any remaining interest. This "real Elliot" invention feels so slapped together and ret-conned but in any case the show ended up so far up its own multi-personality ass that I hope to never see another movie or show that uses it.
Old 12-23-19, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts

Finished the finale tonight. Wish everything would have been more clear and straight forward, but I'm not that upset about it. I thought it was a good ending and a tremendous show overall. I'll miss it.

I'm looking forward to Esmail's future projects.
Old 12-23-19, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

I actually thought it was pretty decent finale, and fit well with the premise of the show. I don't think it was all that surprising of a reveal, or even a very important one since apparently we barely (or never) met the real Elliott. It also probably wouldn't hold up very well if you re-watched the series. But I enjoyed the way it played out and I actually thought it was a satisfying conclusion.

I will say I didn't care for the WhiteRose mumbo-jumbo last week. That had nowhere else to go after the heist but I guess they couldn't just abandon the Congo Washington Township project story-line that had been mentioned oh maybe a hundred times in the series. So out of some sense of obligation they cobbled something out of leftover bits and used it as an excuse to get us to "real" Elliott.
Old 12-23-19, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was pretty much satisfied with the finale, though I was disappointed that Shayla didn't make an appearance in the alternate reality.

Strangely enough, my biggest concern through the second half was that Darlene was actually real. Even when she left to get the nurse, I was worried she would be gone when the real Elliot emerged.
Old 12-24-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts

I assume you meant was concerned she wasn't real. Because she was
Old 12-24-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I assume you meant was concerned she wasn't real. Because she was
Yes, I phrased that awkwardly. I would've been disappointed if it had been revealed that she was not real.
Old 12-27-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fantastic ending, no complaints here. Overall I’d say that the fourth season was just as good as the first. I could see myself watching the entire series again in the future. And this makes me excited for Briarpatch.