The Morning Show (Apple TV+) -- S: Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Morning Show (Apple TV+) -- S: Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon

Old 11-05-19, 07:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 901 Likes on 762 Posts
re: The Morning Show (Apple TV+) -- S: Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon

Originally Posted by BDB
Watched all 3 eps now and am enjoying it very much, I read in a review that the first 15 min of ep 1 was like an apple commercial, and now I can't not notice how they always have an iPhone in hand.

I mean that's actual real life, but I can't shake it.
And now we won’t be able to either. Smh
Old 11-10-19, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,604 Posts

I just watched the Pilot episode and thought it was awesome. Pretty riveting.

It seems to be loosely based on the whole Matt Lauer scandal. But man, it had movie-quality production.

Jen Aniston was great and I also really liked Reese Witherspoon and loved the scene with them together in the interview. Pretty obvious that scene was to set her up to be the replacement for Carell on The Morning Show.

It's definitely not a comedy. It's actually more darker than I expected. I could relate to it very well because I also work in TV production and see a lot of aspects of what I do on this show. I'm in for the season and I need to make time to keep up with it now.
Old 11-10-19, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Billy Crudup has been killing it and episode 4 was no different. He's a riot in the role!
Old 11-10-19, 04:38 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Billy Crudup has been killing it and episode 4 was no different. He's a riot in the role!
Completely agree.
Old 11-10-19, 05:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 901 Likes on 762 Posts

I don’t know what you guys saw, but I saw a dull, cliched behind the scenes drama that could be way better. Granted only saw first episode. I wanted to like it. I certainly like all players involved. But, there’s no punch, no kick that it should have. And I love Crudup, but his character is the most phony, most annoying. I hope it changes, but so far his snark is way to over top. And a anchor caught on a viral video becomes Savanah Guthrie or any other lead anchor of a major morning news show in a matter of days? C’mon...
Old 11-10-19, 05:44 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I can’t disagree that a lot of it is very, very far-fetched.
Old 11-12-19, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I don’t know what you guys saw, but I saw a dull, cliched behind the scenes drama that could be way better. Granted only saw first episode. I wanted to like it. I certainly like all players involved. But, there’s no punch, no kick that it should have. And I love Crudup, but his character is the most phony, most annoying. I hope it changes, but so far his snark is way to over top. And a anchor caught on a viral video becomes Savanah Guthrie or any other lead anchor of a major morning news show in a matter of days? C’mon...
It gets better. I wasn't thrilled with Episode 1, but it's now my favorite series on Apple...and I was pretty sure For All Mankind would be.

Remember, actors often don't have a grasp on their characters yet in pilots/first episodes...Crudup is knocking it out of the park by Episode 4.
Old 11-19-19, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Just got caught up with episodes 2 through 5. 5 was the most recent one that aired last week.

2 through 4 were excellent. Some really great TV and some good performances by Aniston and Witherspoon. The big reveal at the end of 2 when she introduced Bradley as Mitch's successor was unexpected and great, I also liked the meeting scene with the big suits in which she took charge. And you could see the steam coming from her ears when Bradley decided to freelance that scripted interview with Mitch's accuser. What I got out of it was that Mitch doesn't appear to be some sadistic rapist, but some scumbag who takes advantage of lonely and vulnerable women.

At first I thought Bradley and Alex were actually bonding, but it now looks like they are being pitted against each other as rivals. I guess freelancing that interview made the network and Alex look really bad. The behind the scenes aspects of what they do making that show was really top notch and quite accurate from my experiences in studio TV production.

5 wasn't my favorite. It was really more about the anticipation about that article. Cory and Alex doing that weird duet and then later Mitch and Alex hanging out together and him making a pass at her was just weird.

and then Bradley bangs the bartender because she's mad at her Dad.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-19-19 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-20-19, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I could have done without that duet...who on the show thought THAT was a good idea?
Old 11-24-19, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Episode 6 from Friday about Bradley and Alex covering the California wild fires was a solid return after the bizarre episode 5. It was quite timely with the recent California fires. This episode was probably shot months ago before they even happened.

I was glad to see Alex finally calm the hell down and become vulnerable and open up to Bradley about her divorce and worrying about her daughter. Aniston and Witherspoon were both really good in this episode.

I have a feeling that mysterious text from Mitch to Bradley might cause something in the next episode. Mitch after all is still bitter and I'm sure he's looking to cause some trouble.

So far, 5 of the 6 have been good.
Old 11-28-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

New episode dropped today. I watched it at Midnight before bed.

Great episode. The scene with Alex losing her shit on Lizzy was awesome and telling her fuck you and fuck off. I know Alex has been moody and temperamental, but Lizzy IMO was acting like a brat.

Interesting ending. Going to be curious to see how this works for or against Bradley since she was so intrigued by what Mitch has.

Old 12-10-19, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk God

I just caught episode 8, which dropped Friday.

It was an entire flashback episode to Mitch's 50th birthday and when he and Alex had to cover the Las Vegas shootings.

It does explain part of Mitch's indiscretions with him having sex with Hannah, who we saw him visiting at the end of the previous episode. It was interesting that there was a big disclaimer about the episode being graphic in a sexual nature.

There was no rape, but it looks like Mitch simply took advantage of her and she later felt extremely guilty about it. And of course, she tries to report it and the network president covers it up and promotes her.

and for the record, there was no nudity in the sex scene. It was just Carell and Gugu mbatha-raw being very intimate and you saw a panty shot of her and then her facing expressions as he was going down on her. So I didn't think that disclaimer was really necessary. It's already a TV-MA show.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-10-19 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-10-19, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apple + is weird with their material. They seem to have zero problem with adult language, but a huge problem with nudity. Not just The Morning Show; ALL of their shows.
Old 12-16-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Friday's episode was another really good one.

The confrontation between Hannah and Mitch was quite intense. Carell really sold that scene. Not surprised that Alex went back to being angry at Bradley again after she revealed the Mitch meeting.

Next week is the season finale. Should be interesting. I think there's going to be a major turn of events. This for me is probably one of the top 10 shows of 2019. A really nice treat to end the year.
Old 12-16-19, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 386 Likes on 276 Posts

does Witherspoon get off her high horse and enjoy what she is given after the first three episodes? Finding her insufferable so far with the rants and for looking a gift horse in the mouth. Rest of the cast is OK aside from Chip who is so smarmy I want to smack his whiny ass off the set.... Carrell, Aniston and Crudup are all good, but I find the writing off for the Bradley Jackson character...
Old 12-17-19, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Crudup is SO good. I hope he wins the Golden Globe. I can't imagine them writing off the Bradley character, though...if she's not there, there's no conflict with most of the other characters. She does seem to have lost her West Virginia accent rather quickly though, heh?

The Mitch character is really interesting too...nice and complex. Sometimes you sympathize with him, and other times you want to smack him.
Old 12-23-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Best new show of 2019

That was an awesome season finale. So much went down in that hour.

Oh man and that last news cast and what Alex did.

I hope this show does take a few Golden Globes and even Emmys. They really got the best out of their actors, especially Jen Aniston, Witherspoon and Crudup.

and the unexpected surprise was Gugu Mbatha-Raw. Her character arc was really compelling and it led up to an unexpected end. I don't want to spoil it for those who are only casually reading this and haven't seen it. But, she really knocked it out of the park in the finale.

Old 12-23-19, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Best new show of 2019

That was an awesome season finale. So much went down in that hour.

Oh man and that last news cast and what Alex did.

I hope this show does take a few Golden Globes and even Emmys. They really got the best out of their actors, especially Jen Aniston, Witherspoon and Crudup.

and the unexpected surprise was Gugu Mbatha-Raw. Her character arc was really compelling and it led up to an unexpected end. I don't want to spoil it for those who are only casually reading this and haven't seen it. But, she really knocked it out of the park in the finale.
I thought this show was top of the line. It's definitely a DRAMA with some tough shit to watch, but it's really good. I thought the cast was outstanding.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (12-23-19)
Old 12-23-19, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And heck...I just realized Crudup DIDN'T get a GG nomination...he was nominated for a Critic's Choice award instead.

Anyway, not sure how I feel about the finale...a lot of it seemed over-the-top and unrealistic. Most likely because they didn't want to leave TOO much hanging in case Apple didn't want Season 2.
Old 12-23-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
And heck...I just realized Crudup DIDN'T get a GG nomination...he was nominated for a Critic's Choice award instead.

Anyway, not sure how I feel about the finale...a lot of it seemed over-the-top and unrealistic. Most likely because they didn't want to leave TOO much hanging in case Apple didn't want Season 2.
Incorrect. When Apple ordered the show, it was a 2 season, 20 episode, $300M budget commitment. Season 2 was already greenlit when the show got picked up.
Old 12-23-19, 09:07 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, this was some good stuff. Something different, timely, and made me think a lot. With so many familiar faces, the casting felt like an old Hollywood studio movie. This was one of the best things I've watched this year,
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (12-23-19)
Old 12-27-19, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Incorrect. When Apple ordered the show, it was a 2 season, 20 episode, $300M budget commitment. Season 2 was already greenlit when the show got picked up.
Ahh...I didn't think they renewed it until shortly after the series launched. If that's the case, then I feel even less thrilled with the season ender.
Old 12-27-19, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

I thought it finished well enough. Crudup was the standout - killing it every frame he was in.
Old 12-27-19, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk God

The ending was a little over the top, but you have to admit it was very entertaining.
Old 12-27-19, 04:31 PM

Received 4,555 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Watched this over two days. Excellent. The best work of Aniston's career, incredible stuff.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.