Reload this Page >

The Morning Show (Apple TV+) -- S: Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Morning Show (Apple TV+) -- S: Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon

Old 12-30-19, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 913 Likes on 638 Posts
re: The Morning Show (Apple TV+) -- S: Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon

I can see why critics didn't really take to this.

It felt like it was written by high school kids. It was cliched and predictable, but also just tries way too hard overall and still lacks any real substance.
There was little subtlety to the subject matter and just kept hammering the point. Felt like I was barraged by at least one monologue each episode.

Crudup was the only good performance. Aniston let her Rachel out way too often and Reese got annoying fast (btw, I always knew her chin was huge - but what's up with her forehead? It looks like she took a few punches and it's got swollen spots).

Making a 2nd season is forcing it big time. I obviously won't be watching as this feels concluded.

Old 12-30-19, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,746 Posts

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_morning_show/s01

94% audience score out of 940 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Majority of viewers who watched it enjoyed it.

63% critics score is still very good.

It didn't work for you and that's fine. I don't agree with you about Aniston. This was some of the best work of her career.

Old 12-31-19, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_morning_show/s01

94% audience score out of 940 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Majority of viewers who watched it enjoyed it.

63% critics score is still very good.

It didn't work for you and that's fine. I don't agree with you about Aniston. This was some of the best work of her career.
Yea, I don't find audiences the best judge of movies/shows personally. They like to be spoon-fed and usually are more concerned with flash/entertainment over substance.
63% of critics only gave it a passing grade - a more indicative metric is the average rating... which is 5.66/10.

Aniston's performance lacked any subtlety. At least she didn't do the thing where she clears her throat almost every time she talks.

Oh, forgot to mention... were we supposed to be cheering when Alex assaults the new EP by throwing water in his face - especially when he did nothing wrong? If a man did that to a woman there'd be chaos.
Old 12-31-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 957 Posts

Oh, forgot to mention... were we supposed to be cheering when Alex assaults the new EP by throwing water in his face - especially when he did nothing wrong? If a man did that to a woman there'd be chaos.
So there's your chip. BTW, the EP was complicit - he was brought in specifically for the coverup, so no, I don't feel bad that he had water thrown in his face. He should have gotten kicked in the balls.
Old 12-31-19, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
So there's your chip. BTW, the EP was complicit - he was brought in specifically for the coverup, so no, I don't feel bad that he had water thrown in his face. He should have gotten kicked in the balls.
My chip? And it's not clear about how much the new EP knew and his whole purpose for being brought in. It's also pretty hypocritical of Alex to react that way since she was complicit in the cover-up herself and only had a change of heart 10 seconds earlier. She's a horrible person.
Old 01-06-20, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I really enjoyed the 10 episodes, but ending was sort of predictable and cliched. They gave into a 'girl power' ending instead of showing that Aniston was just as much a part of the problem for looking the other way. The show should have been a reflection of all us in life in how we don't want to rock the boat because of our job. It's a dilemma that is understandable because how far to go to fight the 'powers' where you could end your career in the process? That is sort of what Reese Witherspoon's character was about as she was going to blow up the place and probably her career too, and they wussed out at the end and let Aniston do it just because we are in the era of 'girl power.'
Old 03-08-20, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

This wasn’t on my radar at all, but the wife wanted to watch, so I watched the first episode with her. That led to me binging the entire season (meanwhile she’s still only watched the first episode ).
I thought this was fucking great, and won’t be surprised if it ends up in my Top 5 of 2020 list. And I want to show some love to Mark Duplass, since Crudup’s already been mentioned. I’ve enjoyed every character I’ve seen Duplass play, and this was no different. He really started out as an ass, but became more relatable and sympathetic as the season progressed. You could see that he’s really a good guy that had to wrap himself in an asshole persona to survive in the industry.
Old 04-22-20, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Was able to get a subscription to A+ with my daughters iPad purchase a few mos ago, just finished this, what a great show. At first I was underwhelmed by the concept and the initial reviews, but when I actually started this with my wife we enjoyed each ep. Great production values and some excellent work by Aniston, Reese, Crudup, Duplass and Carell. Will be interesting if they make a 3rd season as this might be too expensive to continue past 2, but I was drawn in for sure. With this show and For all mankind which I liked as well, I will probably find myself subscribing next year for a few months to catch up.
Old 06-08-20, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts

Finally got around to watching this. Holy shit what a masterclass in performances. Crudup and Duplass were my favorite, but everyone did superb jobs. Highly enjoyable. Can't wait for S2. Obviously they have plans for David Morse for S2 because you don't hire an actor like that for a bit part.

Last edited by Deftones; 06-08-20 at 10:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (09-25-20)
Old 07-28-20, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

According to Mark Duplass, they are rewriting season 2 to incorporate the current global pandemic.

2 episodes were already filmed before the shutdown. No mention if those episodes will still air or if they will completely start over.

https://deadline.com/2020/07/mark-du...my-1202997146/
Old 09-25-20, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Finally got around to watching season 1. I liked it. Looking forward to season 2
Old 01-11-21, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Finished this last night.

Really wish it wasnt as predictable as it was, and it also seemed to play into most of the cliches out there.

That being said, we really enjoyed watching it. Like others have said, Crudup is awesome, and I also liked Duplass and Reese.

Ill also say that the show looked incredible. I finally upgraded to a 4k set recently and this show really shines visually.

Looking forward to season 2
Old 06-14-21, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Season 2 comes out September 17th
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
alfredog1976 (06-15-21), Why So Blu? (06-14-21)
Old 06-16-21, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 339 Likes on 252 Posts

Hopefully that Emmy means they're doubling down on Crudup in Season 2. He's the main reason to watch.
Old 06-16-21, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,529 Likes on 4,466 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Hopefully that Emmy means they're doubling down on Crudup in Season 2. He's the main reason to watch.
Three times in my TV watching life I have been so enthralled and blown away with a supporting performance in a TV show that I couldn't stop watching or thinking about it : Stanley Tucci - Murder One, Season One, Peter Dinklage - Game of Thrones, Season One, Billy Crudup, The Morning Show, Season One.
Old 08-23-21, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Season 2 trailer. It’s heavy on Billy Crudup.

The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (08-23-21)
Old 08-23-21, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I worry this another one of those great shows that are written for 1 season and don't know where to go after that (Big Little Lies is a perfect example). We'll see.
Old 08-23-21, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I worry this another one of those great shows that are written for 1 season and don't know where to go after that (Big Little Lies is a perfect example). We'll see.
IIRC, Apple committed to the show on the condition it was at least 2 seasons. At least I seem to remember there being a big deal about it being a 2 season commitment.

If that is correct, I would assume that to mean they had it planned out a bit.
Old 08-23-21, 11:13 AM

Received 4,751 Likes on 3,218 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
IIRC, Apple committed to the show on the condition it was at least 2 seasons. At least I seem to remember there being a big deal about it being a 2 season commitment.

If that is correct, I would assume that to mean they had it planned out a bit.
That is correct.
Old 08-23-21, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,529 Likes on 4,466 Posts

Big Little Lies is a terrible example as that was a Limited Series based on a book, designed to only last one season, then after it aired to great acclaim, they were prompted to get back together and figure out what to do in a second possible season.
This is a dramatic television series and clearly decided to last at least a couple of seasons. It ended on a cliff-hanger basically.
Old 08-23-21, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Big Little Lies is a terrible example as that was a Limited Series based on a book, designed to only last one season, then after it aired to great acclaim, they were prompted to get back together and figure out what to do in a second possible season.
This is a dramatic television series and clearly decided to last at least a couple of seasons. It ended on a cliff-hanger basically.
Yes, I know that Big Little Lies was a limited series, as that wasn't my point. There are other great shows like Bloodline and The Affair (to name a few more as I'm sure I can think of more) that were original series and great first seasons. And then they nose-dived after that because the writers didn't know where to go. I didn't watch Heroes, but from what I remember the show was mass popular and jumped the shark in Season 2. Just because it has a cliffhanger, doesn't mean they know where they are going. Have you ever watched Lost? But thanks for another condescending post in DVDtalk as I enjoy your snark here everyday.
Old 08-23-21, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 405 Likes on 327 Posts

Yes, I know that Big Little Lies was a limited series, as that wasn't my point. There are other great shows like Bloodline and The Affair (to name a few more as I'm sure I can think of more) that were original series and great first seasons. And then they nose-dived after that because the writers didn't know where to go. I didn't watch Heroes, but from what I remember the show was mass popular and jumped the shark in Season 2. Just because it has a cliffhanger, doesn't mean they know where they are going. Have you ever watched Lost? But thanks for another condescending post in DVDtalk as I enjoy your snark here everyday.
All those shows were planned for more than one season, not Big Little Lies of course.
Old 08-23-21, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Season 2 trailer. Itís heavy on Billy Crudup.

https://youtu.be/-qZWPTsR-Wc

It better be, he's the main reason I watch the show. Kills it!
Old 08-23-21, 08:52 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I feel like the outcast saying that I enjoyed Season 2 of BLL. The whole cast and Streep were amazing. Literally some of the most talented Women of a few generations altogether.
Old 09-17-21, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Bump

Season 2 premieres Friday morning

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.