Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Masters of the Universe: Revelation -- Sequel Series (Netflix, Executive Produced by Kevin Smith)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Masters of the Universe: Revelation -- Sequel Series (Netflix, Executive Produced by Kevin Smith)

Old 08-19-19, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Kevin Smith Unveils Plans For ‘Masters Of The Universe: Revelation’ Anime Series At Netflix

By Dino Ray-Ramos

By the power of Grayskull, Kevin Smithhas taken a metaphorical Power Sword to help bring a new animated series based on the He-Man. The Jay and Silent Bob Reboot director surprised fans at Power-Con in Anaheim on Sunday to share the news of his new Netflix anime series Masters of the Universe: Revelation, which will be an original story based on the world of Mattel’s classic ’80s era He-Man toy franchise.

Smith will serve as the executive producer and showrunner of Masters of the Universe: Revelation, a limited series which focuses on the unresolved storylines of the classic series, picking up many of the characters’ journeys where they left off decades ago.“I’m Eternia-ly grateful to Mattel TV and Netflix for entrusting me with not only the secrets of Grayskull, but also their entire Universe,” said Smith. “In Revelation, we pick up right where the classic era left off to tell an epic tale of what may be the final battle between He-Man and Skeletor! Brought to life with the most metal character designs Powerhouse Animation can contain in the frame, this is the Masters of the Universe story you always wanted to see as a kid!”

The series will be produced by Mattel Television with Rob David, VP of Mattel TV and author of He-Man: the Eternity War, serving as an executive producer on the series. They have also assembled a team of impressive writers that will include Eric Carrasco (Supergirl), Tim Sheridan (Reign of the Supermen), Diya Mishra (Magic the Gathering) and Marc Bernardin (Alphas). Animation for the series is being done by Powerhouse Animation (Castlevania).

Netflix is also home to She-Ra and the Princesses of Power. In the original ’80s series, the titular princess is the sister of He-Man. No word yet on whether or not the two series will crossover. Masters of the Universe: Revelation adds to Netflix’s growing slate of anime content from around the world. This includes Castlevania, Devilman Crybaby, Aggretsuko and Ultraman.

https://deadline.com/2019/08/kevin-s...an-1202670904/

Surprised no one else has posted about this yet. I realize it’s a streaming show and an anime according to the article, but I figured it would get more attention in TV Talk. I grew up with the original series and while it is cheesy I’m somewhat interested in seeing this.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-19-19 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-19-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation -- Sequel Series (Netflix, Executive Produced by Kevin Smith)

I was mentioning this on the Animation challenge that I used to love this show as a kid but I can’t watch it anymore. I have the complete set and do not want to take it out to watch.

If it’s the same anime design as She-ra Netflix show, I’m not interested.
Old 08-19-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation -- Sequel Series (Netflix, Executive Produced by Kevin Smith)

It's that "unresolved storylines" thing that has me curious. I'll admit I haven't watched since I was a kid in the 80s, but were ongoing arcs really a thing in shows like this? I seem to recall they were mostly monster-of-the-week things, with only the faintest of background arcs happening.
Old 08-19-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That’s what I seem to remember too. I think the 2002 series had a bit more continuity.
Old 08-19-19, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

There were no story arcs back in the 80's show unless you factor in New Adventures. That and the She-Ra pilot movie were the only time. I'm not sure what those unresolved storylines would be, but I'm looking forward to finding out.
Old 08-19-19, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Does this mean Prince Adam is going to be smoking weed all of the time and trying to get Teela to let him toss her salad?
Old 08-20-19, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I used to love this show as a kid but I can’t watch it anymore. I have the complete set and do not want to take it out to watch.
Why not? Everytime I see a He-Man episode on TV it puts a big smile on my face I still love the cartoon. You own the collection lucky you! I would so enjoy that.

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
If it’s the same anime design as She-ra Netflix show, I’m not interested.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Does this mean Prince Adam is going to be smoking weed all of the time and trying to get Teela to let him toss her salad?

Old 08-20-19, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Meh, live-action or nothing.
Old 08-20-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I appreciate anything that gets MOTU back into the public eye. I obviously hope it's good. If it helps get the live-action movie made, then I'm all for it. I still have my He-Man collection from the 80's, so it'd be nice to see them up on a screen again. The original cartoons are ok in small doses, but I can't power through several of them in one go.
Old 08-20-19, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gunde
I associate it way more with animation truthfully. The only time we’ve gotten a live action version was the movie, which while I enjoy for its cheesy goodness hardly feels like He-Man or Masters of the Universe to me. I’d be open to something live action if done well, but I’m okay with an animated series.
Old 08-20-19, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
That’s what I seem to remember too. I think the 2002 series had a bit more continuity.
Yeah, the 2002 series was just about getting to Hordak when it got killed. I understand nostalgia but considering how bare bones the plot to the original series was, I'm surprised they aren't just doing the 2002 series continuation with throwback designs.
Old 08-20-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, the 2002 series was just about getting to Hordak when it got killed. I understand nostalgia but considering how bare bones the plot to the original series was, I'm surprised they aren't just doing the 2002 series continuation with throwback designs.
In a lot of ways I prefer the 2002 series. The original is classic, but the 2002 version was overall a better quality show from a storytelling standpoint.
Old 08-21-19, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
There's still a live-action movie in the works.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427340...2?ref_=nv_sr_2
Old 02-14-20, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kevin Smith's 'Masters of the Universe' Netflix Series Lands All-Star Voice Cast

Mark Hamill, Lena Headey, Chris Wood and Sarah Michelle Gellar headline the actors in the animated show.

Kevin Smith's animated Masters of the Universeseries at Netflix has lined up a powerhouse voice cast.

Mark Hamill, Lena Headey, Chris Wood and Sarah Michelle Gellar headline the ensemble for Masters of the Universe: Revelation, an anime-style series on which Smith serves as showrunner. The series will focus on the unresolved storylines of the iconic characters in the He-Man universe, picking up where they left off decades ago.

Mattel Television is producing the series. Smith executive produces with Adam Bonnett (Descendants), Christopher Keenan (Batman Beyond) and Rob David (He-Man and the Masters of the Universe). Susan Corbin produces. Powerhouse Animation (Castlevania) is the animation studio.

"I cannot believe the lineup of talent I get to play with," said Smith. "The incredible, star-studded cast that Mattel’s Rob David and Netflix’s Ted Biaselli assembled for our Masters of the Universe series will let any lifelong He-Man fan know we’re treating this cartoon seriously and honoring the legendary world of Eternia with A-list talent. Chris, Sarah, Mark, Lena and the other amazing actors and actresses have given performances so powerful and real in a show that features a talking giant green tiger. With these fantastic performers behind our characters, it’ll be crazy easy to immerse yourself in the swords and sorcery of our epic sci-fi soap opera."

Hamill will play the villainous Skeletor in the series. Game of Thrones star Headey plays Skeletor's right-hand woman, Evil-Lyn. Wood (Supergirl, ABC's Thirtysomething sequel) is Prince Adam/He-Man, and Gellar and Liam Cunningham (Game of Thrones) play He-Man's cohorts Teela and Man-at-Arms, respectively.

The cast also includes Stephen Root, Diedrich Bader, Griffin Newman, Tiffany Smith, Henry Rollins, Alan Oppenheimer, Susan Eisenberg, Alicia Silverstone, Justin Long, Jason Mewes, Phil LaMarr, Tony Todd, Cree Summer, Kevin Michael Richardson, Kevin Conroy and Harley Quinn Smith. Oppenheimer, who plays Moss Man in the new show, was the voice of Skeletor in the 1983 He-Man series.

Netflix hasn't set a premiere date for Masters of the Universe: Revelation. The streamer is also planning a CG-animated He-Man series and has aired She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, based on the 1985 He-Man spinoff, since 2018.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...e-cast-1279455

Some pretty solid casting. Hamill could be interesting as Skeletor.
Old 05-13-21, 09:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I have much more faith Smith will fare better headlining this than another View Askerverse movie.

Masters of the Universe: Revelation reveals first look at Kevin Smith series | EW.com

Old 05-13-21, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I'm already intrigued by the fact that it looks "right" but also looks like a modern production. I wish more shows could understand how to do this coughstartrekcough.
Old 05-13-21, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, saw those images earlier. They do look pretty promising. Looking forward to giving this a watch.
Old 05-13-21, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 808 Likes on 597 Posts

I'm definitely interested in checking this out.
Old 05-14-21, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

Last year Kevin Smith blew a gasket when a site quoted an "animation insider" who said he saw the script for the show and that He-Man would be side-lined after the first few episodes and then Teela would step into the lead. However, I just read an article from Variety which seems to indicate after a major battle between He-Man and Skeletor in the first episode it's up to Teela to re-unite the now-scattered supporting cast.

Last edited by DWilson; 05-14-21 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-14-21, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I hope they bring in more of the characters than previous series have. There's a lot of cool characters that haven't gotten any screentime that I can recall.
Old 05-14-21, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I just like that it's not at the whim of someone like CN.
Old 06-10-21, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

Official teaser:
Old 06-10-21, 02:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Lol, okay that looks fun.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (06-10-21)
Old 06-10-21, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

So it's anime style anime right? Like that mythology show on Netflix that I accidentally posted in the anime thread and got reamed for not noticing it was not real anime. So like Castlevania, right?
Old 06-10-21, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks pretty fun to me. I like the animation and the voice acting for He-Man and Skeletor is pretty good. Figured that Hamill would be a solid pick for Skeletor given his track record.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.