Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Masters of the Universe: Revelation -- Sequel Series (Netflix, Executive Produced by Kevin Smith)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Masters of the Universe: Revelation -- Sequel Series (Netflix, Executive Produced by Kevin Smith)

Old 07-26-21, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts
Re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation -- Sequel Series (Netflix, Executive Produced by Kevin Smith)

I just finished the first two episodes. I enjoyed them both. I’m not sure how the rest of Part 1 will go but I guess I’m in the minority that doesn’t necessarily need He-man to be the focus.

I remember loving MotU when I was a little kid and collected a ton of the toys in the 80s. Since then, however, I’ve barely given the show a second thought. I guess I didn’t have any high expectations going into this. I also read about the controversy before watching, so I suppose I was prepared for it.
Old 07-26-21, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts
Re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation -- Sequel Series (Netflix, Executive Produced by Kevin Smith)

I wouldn’t say he needs to be the sole focus, and there is room to incorporate new characters, but I can see why fans are upset. The property has essentially focused on him for its entire existence. It would be like a Batman series where Batman is taken out in the first episode or something. Like I say though I think that there’s room for him to return later on.
Old 07-27-21, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Using a pay or play deal as a gauge of morality isn’t really the best in Hollywood. There are actors who’ve been paid millions of dollars for movies they aren’t in.
Yeah, I think that’s pretty standard for the entertainment industry. Actors, writers, directors, and producers will get hired and paid in advance for work, and if it gets canceled they keep the payment if they aren’t contractually obligated to return it.

Frankly, the weirdest thing about that story was Adam Carolla returning noney he didn’t have to.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (07-28-21)
Old 07-27-21, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, I think that’s pretty standard for the entertainment industry. Actors, writers, directors, and producers will get hired and paid in advance for work, and if it gets canceled they keep the payment if they aren’t contractually obligated to return it.

Frankly, the weirdest thing about that story was Adam Carolla returning noney he didn’t have to.
I was about to say, I appreciate Adam's integrity but the money was due him and that 500 grand was like a footnote in some paperwork somewhere. It's a little odd to me to hold Kevin's feet to the fire over taking money that he was legally obligated to. The "kicking Adam out" stuff sure, but keeping the money they gave him?

I'm fairly sure He-man will be more of a focus in the back half, not because of any kind of reaction to the fanbase but because, well, they want to sell toys.
John Pannozzi (07-28-21)
Old 07-27-21, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm fairly sure He-man will be more of a focus in the back half, not because of any kind of reaction to the fanbase but because, well, they want to sell toys.
Whether he is or isn’t more of a focus in the second half, I find it funny (and completely on-brand for the internet) for grown-ass men to throw a fit about something before even seeing the final result.
Boondock Saint (07-28-21)
Old 07-27-21, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think keeping in mind that the last incarnation of these characters was like seventeen years ago, and the fact that this was sold as something that from the first five episodes it’s not.. yeah fans have some reason to be disappointed.

Part of that is on the show, and part of it is Netflix setting the show up to fail by dividing it into two halves. I’m almost more inclined to blame Netflix since really a ten episode, half hour series doesn’t need to be divided.

Getting people on a hype train only to disappoint them is setting yourself up for failure as a show or film in my opinion. It seems to happen often now days with established franchises.
John Pannozzi (07-29-21)
Old 07-27-21, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’ve watched the first three episodes now. I think the show is pretty good so far. Different yes, but I’m kind of digging it. I really like the animation style and most of the voice acting. Also I like the tone it’s going for. A bit more grown up, but it still has a sense of fun and goofiness at times.

Spoiler:
Hoping that the show is going in the direction where He-Man returns. Kind of seems like that’s the case, but like mentioned by someone earlier I can totally see it being that or just full on replacing He-Man with Teela and she wields the power sword.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-27-21 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-28-21, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Actually really enjoyed this. Teela was a boss! The original cartoon was pretty shit to be honest (liked the bizarro toys better) and this gave it a lot more depth. Good cliffhanger too.
Old 07-28-21, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that looking back on the original cartoon it’s mostly pretty cheesy. I still kind of enjoy it for what it is and for nostalgia sake though.

I’ve always thought the concept of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe is pretty good and could make for a good series or film if it was taken a bit more seriously. Kind of surprises me that it’s taken as long as it has for a new series to be made.

I think the 2002 series was a pretty good update for the time, but it didn’t last very long. This new show has potential in my opinion. Just have to see what direction it ends up taking.
Old 07-31-21, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched the last couple episodes. I overall liked the first half of the season quite a bit, as did my girlfriend who wasn’t a fan of the original, and had to be talked into watching this. We’re looking forward to the second half.

Spoiler:
The cliffhanger ending to episode five was pretty crazy. I had seen the image of Adam being stabbed by accident, but I didn’t know when it would happen.

I wonder if he’s truly dead now or if there’s still a way to cheat him coming back. I mean after he left Preternia it basically sounded like once he went back and died again that would be it. Still though I have a hard time thinking he’s truly dead.

Also wondering if Orko and Roboto are dead too or if there’s any way they’ll return.
Old 08-01-21, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Just wrapped up the first half and the aftershow episode that just aired. This is way better than it has any right being especially compared to the drivel that was the plots and dialogue of the original series. Highly recommend the aftershow episode for anyone who enjoyed this. It has spoliers for the first 5 episodes so don't watch if you haven't seen Part 1 but great interviews with all the cast.
Old 08-01-21, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The original show is what it is. Definitely dated and cheesy, but it was also a different era in animation. It was pretty much aimed at kids exclusively, and was a vehicle to sell toys. I somewhat enjoy it for what it is, but I can only watch so much of it at a time.
Old 08-01-21, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
The original show is what it is. Definitely dated and cheesy, but it was also a different era in animation. It was pretty much aimed at kids exclusively, and was a vehicle to sell toys. I somewhat enjoy it for what it is, but I can only watch so much of it at a time.
​​​​Yeah no shit. Everyone knows all that.
Old 08-01-21, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Questyen
​​​​Yeah no shit. Everyone knows all that.
You don’t need to get snarky. I’m just saying, people like to criticize the show for being something they don’t want it to be. It’s something from a different era, and for the time period it works.

I liked the new show as well. Despite having some issues with it. I’m looking forward to the second half of the season, and to see where it goes.
Old 08-13-21, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

We just binged all five episodes tonight, this was a great take on the franchise though I can see why people would be upset about He-Man being absent for most of it. I’ve always thought the world had potential for some really interesting stories just based on the little bit of lore from the toys and the old show.

Old 08-13-21, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah the MOTU universe is pretty interesting really, and I feel like there’s a lot you could do with it.
Old 08-19-21, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So Netflix released a trailer of their OTHER He-man project, which is more kids oriented and... very different:

Old 08-19-21, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, I’ll be passing on watching that version. Looks way too kid centric for me.
Old 10-12-21, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So there are spoilers for the second half, coming Nov 23:

https://gizmodo.com/netflixs-masters...-wh-1847847010

Spoiler:

Uh... ok.
Old 10-12-21, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I was surprised to see it coming so soon but I’m glad. It was a great story and I’m ready for the next chapter.
Old 10-27-21, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Old 10-27-21, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Basically, gave away the entire plot, but it's understandable. They have a very pissed off fanbase and need to reel them back in.

This should've been one entire series with no breaks.
Dr. DVD (10-27-21)
Old 10-27-21, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Looking at the trailer I am thinking they are doing a reverse of what they did last time. Basically, last time the trailer consisted mostly of stuff from the first episode, and this time it's most likely from the final episode.
Old 11-23-21, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Finished Part 2. I'm just going to spoiler everything.
Spoiler:
If the goal of this was to make Teela the new sorceress, it did not need 10 episodes to do that.
Again He-Man is barely in it. Savage He-man in it even less.
Evil-Lynn always hating Skeletor did not sit well with me. At all.
God Skeletor gets little time and the power is on Lynn. Why not just use her from the start?

On a positive note, give me more Horde if this is coming back.

Last edited by stingermck; 11-23-21 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-23-21, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Yeah... pretty much agree with everything you said. Also, splitting this into two parts was the dumbest idea ever.

I doubt this is coming back, but if (by some miracle) then hopefully
Spoiler:
The Horde, She-Ra and more He-man.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.