Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Masters of the Universe: Revelation -- Sequel Series (Netflix, Executive Produced by Kevin Smith)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Masters of the Universe: Revelation -- Sequel Series (Netflix, Executive Produced by Kevin Smith)

Old 06-10-21, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation -- Sequel Series (Netflix, Executive Produced by Kevin Smith)

Agreed. Looks fun. I'm in.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (06-10-21)
Old 06-10-21, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation -- Sequel Series (Netflix, Executive Produced by Kevin Smith)

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Agreed. Looks fun. I'm in.

Ditto.

I know there will be toys for this, and I also know grown men my age are the top demographic for them, so no shame. That said, where will I be able to get them? Target? Wal-Mart? I must have a He-Man and Skeletor...
Old 06-10-21, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation -- Sequel Series (Netflix, Executive Produced by Kevin Smith)

It says this one is a continuation of the original series continuity. I wonder if it will ignore that series from the 1990's where He-Man and Skeletor hot sucked into some kinda wormhole in space and ended up on some far away planet.

This one is supposed to be adult oriented and by Kevin Smith so I'm guessing he'll try and see how many times he can get the characters to say the word "fuck" in any given episode. I wonder which characters he'll make gay. It will probably be Teela and maybe she'll have a relationship with the Sorceress. Maybe he'll make Orko tran or gender neutral.
Old 06-11-21, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts
Re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation -- Sequel Series (Netflix, Executive Produced by Kevin Smith)

Originally Posted by movieguru
It says this one is a continuation of the original series continuity. I wonder if it will ignore that series from the 1990's where He-Man and Skeletor hot sucked into some kinda wormhole in space and ended up on some far away planet.

This one is supposed to be adult oriented and by Kevin Smith so I'm guessing he'll try and see how many times he can get the characters to say the word "fuck" in any given episode. I wonder which characters he'll make gay. It will probably be Teela and maybe she'll have a relationship with the Sorceress. Maybe he'll make Orko tran or gender neutral.
The story goes that after two episodes or so Teela will become the lead character and she will have a close female companion (though nobody is saying what the nature of that relationship is).
Old 06-11-21, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

I just finished Castlevania and loved every minute of it. I'll check this out. I remember having the toys as a kid (I think I even had a Castle Greyskull playset, and my kids still have some of my toys, but I really don't remember anything about the story.
Old 06-11-21, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Looks like there's a lot more characters and vehicles from the toyline being integrated, so I'm happy about that. I didn't watch the preview with sound, so I can't comment on the voice acting or if anything of the story was presented.
Old 06-11-21, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt it will go too far into Smith motifs, but my understanding is that it's supposed to be very LGB friendly. There were a lot of rainbow colors in that trailer.
Old 06-11-21, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Where are all these other story rumors coming from? I know the recent She-Ra on Cartoon Network was very LGBT friendly and is lauded by many for that reason.

I can't see them side-lining He-Man for any significant length of time, even if Teela or She-Ra gets more screen time.

I like the look of this, and I don't see Kevin Smith going crazy with someone else's property. Hopefully they'll take the Castlevania route and just make it more logical for the setting.
Old 06-11-21, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

I saw this today, which says that the official Netflix-issued description runs counter to what Smith has said. It also mentions that Smith, -who has been selling himself as a gushing MOTU superfan, -said in an old tweet that he was not a fan of He-Man (though does he mean the specific character or the entire show?) The second article talks about the possible LGBTQ elements, quoting the angel-voiced Grace Randolph.

He-Man Fraud Exposed; Kevin Smith Caught In A Lie; Not A Fan; All About Teela | Cosmic Book News

Kevin Smith He-Man 'Very LGBT'; Lots Of Dialogue, No Action | Cosmic Book News
Old 06-11-21, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Fuck that clickbait bullshit site.
stingermck (06-12-21)
Old 06-11-21, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

I was never really a fan of MOTU when I was a kid.

I can dig the aesthetic, which is sort of a mash-up between Conan the Barbarian and a high-tech dystopia similar to Mad Max; like Boris Vallejo paintings of 80s-haired barbarians, dragons, domed cities, and rocketships. But, goddamn, they got lazy naming the characters... He-Man? Man-at-Arms? Sorceress? Evil-Lyn?
Old 06-11-21, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

I have a hard time believing the show is going to take the focus off of He-Man. Unless that trailer is really misleading.

Plus He-Man and Skeletor have always been the focal points of Masters of the Universe, and on top of that there already is the Netflix She-Ra series to satisfy the audience that wants a female led series in this universe.

I don’t doubt that other characters besides He-Man will be in key roles though.
Old 06-12-21, 10:53 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Mattel must be thrilled.

Looks to be the same animation studio they used for Castlevania.
Old 06-12-21, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,492 Posts

He-Man and Skeletor hot sucked into some kinda wormhole
Old 06-12-21, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Fuck that clickbait bullshit site.

Agree. I will withhold judgment until I see it; I'm sure I'll be able to tell PDQ where Smith is taking the series. But yeah, those sites just use a bunch of blurbs and are full of pop ups trying to get you to accidentally click and go to some other B.S. site trying to sell you something. Not legit at all.

Alluding to what another poster said, I saw Grace Randolph's reaction and it is VERY obvious she is not and never will be a fan. I truly cannot figure out why so many people place so much value on what she says about something. She's basically become the new Harry Knowles , just way more attractive but every bit as annoying.
Old 06-12-21, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Agree. I will withhold judgment until I see it; I'm sure I'll be able to tell PDQ where Smith is taking the series. But yeah, those sites just use a bunch of blurbs and are full of pop ups trying to get you to accidentally click and go to some other B.S. site trying to sell you something. Not legit at all.

Alluding to what another poster said, I saw Grace Randolph's reaction and it is VERY obvious she is not and never will be a fan. I truly cannot figure out why so many people place so much value on what she says about something. She's basically become the new Harry Knowles , just way more attractive but every bit as annoying.
She would fit into that "least attractive celebrity you find attractive" thread, but her voice is annoying. Who would want to listen to that for more than thirty seconds. I don't think I made it to fifteen seconds before I had to turn the volume to mute.
Old 06-12-21, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not to veer too much off topic, but I’ve never liked Grace Randolph and don’t find her all that attractive. She’s always annoyed me.
Obi-Wanma (07-31-21)
Old 06-12-21, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Not to veer too much off topic, but I’ve never liked Grace Randolph and don’t find her all that attractive. She’s always annoyed me.

The way she opens all of her videos with that shrill voice is always grating. She also has a reputation of basically blocking or muting anyone who doesn't agree with her view points on everything. There was a time a few years back where I would often make comments on her Twitter feed and she would respond regularly, then one day I was critical of something she said and she quit responding to everything I posted. This morning she was tweeting about how she just re-watched Gladiator but feels not enough Italians were represented in the movie...yeah. The only thing I will give her is that unfortunately, if something doesn't click with her, it most likely won't click with the general public.

Any way, back to topic: anyone know where I will be able to find the action figures?
Old 07-02-21, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

Old 07-02-21, 08:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

That looked fucking awesome! Fucking awesome indeed. It takes everything we know from what now seems like a cheesy cartoon way back to this mature, thrilling way but still keeping old traditions alive. I loved everything about it. And the final reveal of Skeletor was great! I was like is he not in it or something and then bang. Animation looks so solid. Can’t wait till 7/23 for this.

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-02-21 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-02-21, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, this looks surprisingly really good if you ask me. Looking forward to it.
Old 07-02-21, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

Tri-Klops
the Roton!
Roboto
F'n Stinkor!

This looks awesome.
Old 07-05-21, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Guess I'm officially old. I used to love Masters of the Universe, but I just can't get excited about what looks like a kid's show. The animation style doesn't help. So stiff, like the worst of animé.
Old 07-05-21, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
Guess I'm officially old. I used to love Masters of the Universe, but I just can't get excited about what looks like a kid's show. The animation style doesn't help. So stiff, like the worst of animé.
That's not a bad thing. You are not obligated to watch the same things you watched as a child throughout your whole life.
Old 07-05-21, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven’t honestly watched Masters of the Universe in a long time. I liked it a lot as a kid, but it’s cheesy now looking back. This looks good to me though. Same basic concept, but remade for modern times and a bit more skewed towards an older audience.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.