Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Obi-Wan Kenobi TV series starring Ewan McGregor coming to Disney Plus

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-20, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,179 Likes on 918 Posts
re: Obi-Wan Kenobi TV series starring Ewan McGregor coming to Disney Plus

Well that’s disappointing, but at the same time it makes me think Disney/LucasFilm are taking it seriously and not just looking to rush production. Hopefully it’s not outright cancelled though.
Old 01-23-20, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 598 Likes on 369 Posts

If the people who OK'd The Last Jedi and pulling the Emperor's return out of their asses are concerned with the scripts they must be real dogs.
Old 01-23-20, 08:48 PM

Received 4,715 Likes on 3,194 Posts

This is extremely weird to me. As mentioned, when the show was announced, it was said that all the scripts were written. Not to mention the fact that a movie was previously being developed and they scrapped all that. McGregor knew this was happening for years and they still didn’t have everything together by the time production was about to begin? Lucasfilm
is just fucking dumb.
Old 01-23-20, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,433 Likes on 4,400 Posts

Obi-Wan Kenobi Series Delay Won't Change Release Date, Says Ewan McGregor The timing has not changed. By Adam Bankhurst Updated: 23 Jan 2020 9:06 pm
Ewan McGregor has confirmed to IGN that, despite the Disney+ Obi-Wan Kenobi series being put on hold, its not-currently-public release date has not been changed.McGregor spoke to IGN at a Birds of Prey media event, saying that these delays and holds happen all the time on projects, but it shouldn't impact when fans around the galaxy will see the Obi-Wan Kenobi series debut on Disney+. "It’s just slid to next year, that’s all. The scripts were really good. Now that Episode IX came out and everyone at Lucasfilm has got more time to spend on the writing, they felt they wanted more time to write the episodes." McGregor said. "I’ve read about eighty, ninety percent of what they’ve written so far, and it’s really, really good. Instead of shooting this August, they just want to start shooting in January, that's all. Nothing more dramatic then that. It often happens in projects, they just wanted to push it to next year. It will have the same release date, I don’t think it will affect the release date. They are still shooting towards having the film release when it was going to be originally." Obi-Wan Kenobi Show Put On Hold - IGN Now 2:20 Developing...
Old 01-24-20, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 173 Posts

He was one of my most favorite actors like top 5 and I usually don't let actors' personal lives influence whether I watch a movie or not (I saw Ender's Game even after finding out unsavory stuff about the writer) but the way he cheated on his wife and how he was parading with the girlfriend for his kids to see... in this instance I just can't. First time I ever avoid stuff an actor is in because of their personal lives. I'll even watch Mel Gibson. Just the level of sleaze in this case I can't get over.
Old 01-24-20, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 157 Posts

Just when you thought maybe they had it together... I could not imagine anything worse if this thing falls through. Let's hope they just have some new ideas that they want to explore... still not a great confidence booster.
Old 01-24-20, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Well from reports it sounds like the story had too many similar beats to the Mandalorian with a child and protector. I think having Obi-Wan as a protector of Luke from a distance is a big mistake anyway. If you were trying to avoid bringing attention to a character you wouldn't be hanging around with them all the time. Its just occurred to me as well, why did Lukes Aunt and Uncle change his last name? They wanted to hide the child and yet they still allowed him to use the name Luke Skywalker. Disintegration was too good for them.

Well i am actually happy that Disney is taking a step back to try and improve scripts. Its what has let them down in many of their recent Star Wars forays. I would rather give it more time and have a superior product.
Old 01-24-20, 08:21 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo

Yep - this is a great service for middle aged men. Star Wars and super hero’s. That’s pretty much it.
Yeah that’s pretty much it. Oh and like 100 years of the Walt Disney Company’s animated and live action films.

After the Mandalorian came out they probably looked at their scripts and realized they had pure shit. So it’s back to the drawing board. I love how McGregor minimizes a 12 month delay.

Last edited by Mabuse; 01-24-20 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-24-20, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I’m sure he’s doing damage control as the articles are making it sound like it potentially isn’t happening by saying it’s on indefinite hiatus.

Truthfully if the rumors about the show being reworked are due to it being too similar to The Mandalorian that makes sense to me. It was rumored that Obi-Wan was going to be a protector of sorts and that there might be a Seven Samurai vibe. I can see not wanting to do that again and having people bitch that it’s not different enough.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-24-20 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-24-20, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 393 Likes on 317 Posts

I feel like Disney, in total, is really shitting the bed with Star Wars and D+... I'm the quintessential customer (2 young kids, love Star Wars, Marvel, etc) and I'm very much on the fence of canceling my sub (albeit $5 or so / month) because as good as Disney's catalog appears to be, my family has no desire to watch those films. We look forward to new releases and what they can do with the SW spin-offs. If Obi-Wan is delayed, there's not much such for us to hang out.
Old 01-24-20, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 277 Likes on 206 Posts

Obi-Wan? More like Obi-When?
The following users liked this post:
story (01-24-20)
Old 01-24-20, 02:01 PM

Received 2,040 Likes on 1,199 Posts

If Obi-Wan is a local force for justice on Tatooine, he comes off as The Mandalorian.

If Obi-Wan is a wandering force of justice around the galaxy, he comes of as The Mandalorian.

If Obi-Wan is a saving force for hidden Jedi near and far, he comes off as The Mandalorian.

If The Mandalorian comes off as Kane from Kung-Fu, he comes off as a Jedi. Which is what Obi-Wan Kenobi is. But his show is coming out second. So too bad. Boom.

Last edited by story; 01-24-20 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-24-20, 03:37 PM
Banned

Well put.
Old 01-24-20, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 157 Posts

If it really was going to just be the adventures of Ben and Luke... that sounds awful (and inconsistent with the original SW)...I'm glad they are changing it. But say goodbye to Deborah Chow as director, she'll take a big film offer...that's the cost of these delays. Hell, just make this the 2022 SW film.
Old 01-25-20, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,858 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Here's a(n alleged) brief synopsis of what the Obi Wan Kenobi series would have been about:

Spoiler:
A source close to the writing process for the series (or what it was going to be before the recent changes) has disclosed some information to me regarding some interesting plot points.
  1. Sharad Hett would be recanonized with some changes to his character.
  2. Hett would go into hiding as a Tusken Raider after Order 66.
  3. The main conflict would come with Hett sensing Luke and figuring out who he is. He would seek to kill Luke out of fear that his presence would lure Vader and Palpatine to Tatooine.
  4. We find out that Kenobi has been carrying both his and Anakin's saber.
  5. As many have reported, internal conflict would revolve around Obi-Wan's PTSD and depression.
  6. Climax of final episode involves Kenobi defeating Hett with both his and Anakin's lightsabers.
  7. Final scenes are Obi-Wan putting Anakin's saber in the box, not to be reopened until A New Hope, and Obi-Wan watching Luke from a distance.

From: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLea...i_disney_info/

Doesn't sound too bad...
    Old 01-25-20, 07:46 AM
    TGM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

was this always going to be a one and done season ?
    Old 01-25-20, 08:31 AM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 393 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
    was this always going to be a one and done season ?
    sounds like it... sounds boring too.
    Old 01-25-20, 10:45 AM
    DVD Talk Legend

Sounds pretty good to me from what was described. Doesn’t sound that similar to The Mandalorian to me.
    Old 01-25-20, 12:18 PM
    TGM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

the problem with an Obi Wan show is that it cannot be too big of a story and still fit within the continuity of the rest of the shows/movies, and if it is too small of a story Obi Wan is just too powerful to really be threatened by some local crime boss or low level bad guy.

I would love to see a Planet Hulk or Spartacus type show with Obi Wan where he is somehow kidnapped and whisked away to fight in some gladiatorial games on some planet or station somewhere with other sith and jedi... or at least someone of his same power level… that way he can be a total badass and it wouldn't screw up the existing continuity.
    Old 01-25-20, 12:32 PM
    DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 277 Likes on 206 Posts

Hopefully we'll get to see what causes Obi-Wan to tell Luke that he would "never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy" than Mos Eisley. It really didn't seem that bad of a place from what was shown.
    Old 01-25-20, 04:18 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
    Hopefully we'll get to see what causes Obi-Wan to tell Luke that he would "never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy" than Mos Eisley. It really didn't seem that bad of a place from what was shown.
    Some dudes started picking a fight with Luke for no reason whatsoever, so that’s already pretty seedy. Then, Obi Wan sliced off one of those guy’s arms, and proceeded to openly conduct a business meeting with known smugglers. Not two minutes after that meeting, Han kills someone and just leaves, and nobody gave a shit about any of this, including the bartender and the musicians. Seems like a tough place to me

Last edited by bluetoast; 01-25-20 at 04:33 PM.
    The following 2 users liked this post by bluetoast:
    story (01-26-20), Toddarino (01-27-20)
    Old 01-25-20, 04:37 PM
    DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,219 Likes on 937 Posts

As long as Deborah Chow stays to direct the entire series, I am ok with the shut down.
    Old 01-25-20, 10:20 PM
    DVD Talk God

Received 3,780 Likes on 2,709 Posts

I'm still confused how Kathleen Kennedy back in August at D23 during the Obi-Wan surprise presentation said that all the scripts were written. Now 5 months later, it's being reported that only 2 were written and now they're being scrapped.

I mean did she actually see the scripts 5 months ago?

Old 01-26-20, 10:43 AM
    Banned

You don’t need a script.

I think the Obi-Wan Show should be a variety show where he sings and dances, interviews celebrities, and has on musical acts. The house band should be the Cantina Band. His side kick should be Walrus Man who just laughs uproariously at all of Obi-Wans quips and always says, “You are so right!” in his native language. One of the highlights would be a reoccurring bit where they take a camera out on the streets and ask questions to people on the street. The conceit being that the denizens of Mos Eisley are utter idiots. Lip synch in a landspeeder with Obi-Wan would be huge. Stupid droid tricks. It writes itself.
    Old 01-26-20, 10:56 AM

Received 4,715 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Just do an adaptation of the (no longer canon) Kenobi novel.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.