Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Terror: Infamy (AMC) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 8/12/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-12-19, 05:39 AM

Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZSie64No89s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FqNbAxvNElU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"The Terror: Infamy" premieres on Monday, August 12th at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT with an episode titled "A Sparrow in a Swallow's Nest." In 1941, Chester Nakayama is caught between his insular Japanese American neighborhood on Terminal Island and his current all-American life. Extreme circumstances push his community and personal life to the brink, all while someone watches closely.

"The Terror: Infamy" centers on a series of bizarre deaths that haunt a Japanese American community, and a young man's journey to understand and combat the malevolent entity responsible. In addition, the series is one of the first depicting the internment of Japanese Americans on such a massive scale - complete with authentically recreated camps in scope and scale as post-WWII.

The series stars Derek Mio, Kiki Sukezane (Lost in Space), Cristina Rodlo (Miss Bala), Shingo Usami (Unbroken), Naoko Mori (Everest), Miki Ishikawa (9-1-1) and renowned actor, producer, author and activist George Takei (Star Trek), who also serves as a consultant.

"The Terror: Infamy" is an AMC Studios production produced by Scott Free, Emaj Productions and Entertainment 360. In addition to Woo and Borenstein, Ridley Scott, David W. Zucker, Alexandra Milchan, Scott Lambert, Guymon Casady and Jordan Sheehan also serve as executive producers.
Old 08-12-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Terror: Infamy (AMC) -- Season 2 Thread -- premieres 8/12/19

Watched it last night. First episode was kind of slow, yet I still enjoyed it. Looking forward to the rest of the season.
Old 08-12-19, 12:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

never watched the first season, though i was intrigued. i'll try to give this a go. is that first streaming, Netflix, i presume? edit...Hulu.
Old 08-12-19, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 95 Likes on 54 Posts

Is this season based on a book at all? It still seems weird to call this The Terror despite having nothing to do with the HMS Terror or Dan Simmon’s book.
Old 08-13-19, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Is this season based on a book at all? It still seems weird to call this The Terror despite having nothing to do with the HMS Terror or Dan Simmonís book.
Not anything I can find reference to with Google-fu.
Old 08-13-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trailer is tempting, but then I remember how S1 ended.
I'll pass.
Old 08-13-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 216 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
I'll pass.
This is a new standalone story from a different creative team and showrunner.
Old 08-13-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
I'll pass.
S1 was directly based on a book; this season is all original with a new showrunner.
Old 09-04-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher View Post
Are people waiting to binge season two? I just watched the first episode and found it to be pretty meh. Not sure I want to continue (loved the first season but this is obviously a totally different story and feel).
I'm an episode behind. I think this season works better as a drama than a horror, although I saw a review title for this last episode that says it increases the creepiness.

One thing I think is missing is the sort of pervasive feeling of dread that infused the entire first season. From the get-go, you know that nobody returns to England alive, so every step they made felt like one closer to their doom.

With this season, although it's based on something horrific in our history, it's not a "nobody gets out/is seen from again" situation. So even though there's been a number of deaths, it feels a bit more safe in a way, like I'm pretty sure several of the protagonists are going to survive.

So so far, it's compelling as a historical drama about the internment of Japanese Americans, but not so much as a horror.
Old 09-04-19, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
One thing I think is missing is the sort of pervasive feeling of dread that infused the entire first season.
Yep, first season absolutely killed it, in this regard. Just a palpable "these fuckers are fucked" beyond all hope feeling. They somehow made you really feel that hopelessness and like you were there with them.

Anyway, will probably give this season another episode or two.

Would love to see a Donner Party season.

Old 09-04-19, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

One thing I think is missing is the sort of pervasive feeling of dread that infused the entire first season. From the get-go, you know that nobody returns to England alive, so every step they made felt like one closer to their doom.
Agree. It's not that it's bad, it's just kind of...boring. Sort of like, why is this a story? I assume something is coming, but it sure is taking its time getting here.
So so far, it's compelling as a historical drama about the internment of Japanese Americans, but not so much as a horror.
The internment period seems like a setting that would be ripe for storytelling but has been largely ignored as I believe there are only a handful of productions that have focused on it. I was interested when I heard this season was going to use it as a setting, but as I mentioned above it seems pretty wasted so far.
Old 09-05-19, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
Agree. It's not that it's bad, it's just kind of...boring. Sort of like, why is this a story? I assume something is coming, but it sure is taking its time getting here.

The internment period seems like a setting that would be ripe for storytelling but has been largely ignored as I believe there are only a handful of productions that have focused on it. I was interested when I heard this season was going to use it as a setting, but as I mentioned above it seems pretty wasted so far.
I feel the same.

And I would love to see a serious drama series focused on the Japanese internment.
Old 09-05-19, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolutely zero things grabbed or interested me in the first couple of episodes. Seems like a pretty basic ghost story...
Old 09-15-19, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still watching. The drama is grabbing me more than the horror. My wife is getting creeped out though.

I have a theory about this show, speculation below:
Spoiler:
I think Chester is the yurei's son.

The yurei seems attached to Chester, but also knows several of the older Japanese men. The wife-beater, she suggested he did something bad to her, possibly rape? Also, the old man the yuri made get shot, tried to warn Chester as soon as he saw her. So he knows of a connection between them. Chester's mom also dodged a question about giving birth to Chester.

Also, I think the yurei gets her strength from Chester. She starts to decompose as soon as Chester leaves. It's why she possessed the nurse to be near Luz during the birth scene, and possessed other to carry her decaying body to Chester. So why did she not try and follow Chester sooner? Because Luz's babies were her kin, and she wanted to be there for the birth. Either she might be able to tether to them like she does Chester, or maybe even fully possess one permanently

I think the yurei was a woman that something bad happened to in Japan, caused by one or more of the older men. She either already had a son, or gave birth after the incident (pregnant from rape?), then died after (suicide from shame?). Chester's parents opted to adopt him, and all of them left to the America to escape the incident. But the yurei has been seeking... Once she found them, she killed the first woman, either because that woman stayed with a husband responsible for the yurei's death, had tried to help Chester abort his kids, or both. The rest of the deaths either seem to be revenge or protecting herself or Chester.
Old 09-15-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've already seen episode 6, and it provides a lot of answers.

Don't read the spoiler until you've seen ep6 or don't mind being spoiled.
Spoiler:
Jay G. was pretty much spot on.

Episodes come out Saturday on AMC Streaming even though they don't air until Monday on TV.
Same with Fear The Walking Dead which airs on Sundays yet it up on their streaming platform the Friday before.
Old 01-13-20, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Season 2 is up on Hulu for those of us who havent seen it yet
Old 01-14-20, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoyed season 2 overall, and the final episode is excellent, but I think the season tried to cover too much of the Japanese American experience during WWII, and seemed a bit disjointed as a result. It didn't have the focus of the first season, and I think the horror element especially suffered from this lack of focus.

If the season had focused on just the internment camp, the concept of people being trapped in a place with a horrific creature among them could've been really compelling. But the show jumped between continents, and jumped months and maybe even years at points, which diluted the horror, making it less imminent.

I did find the way they finally stopped the Yuri interesting and unconventional.