Reload this Page >

Preacher (AMC) -- The 4th and Final Season Thread -- Premieres 8/4/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-04-19, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 216 Likes on 164 Posts

As the series inches closer to the finale, God's endgame for the universe begins to click into place. Trapped between heavenly prophecies, hellish prisons, and all-out nuclear war, Jesse, Tulip, and Cassidy make their bloody way to the Most High. Whether they can reach God in time - or whether all this carnage is part of His divine plan - will soon be revealed as Preacher barrels towards the end of the world. Preacher stars Dominic Cooper, Academy Award(R) nominee Ruth Negga and Joseph Gilgun, along with series regulars Ian Colletti, Graham McTavish, Pip Torrens, Julie Ann Emery, Noah Taylor, Mark Harelik and Tyson Ritter.
Preacher
AMC - 99 Sun, 8/04, 9:00 PM 2 hrs

New, 8/04/2019, Fantasy, Comedy, Drama, Religion, Supernatural, Black Comedy

Visions of the apocalypse plague Jesse as he and Tulip get ready to strike Masada, where Cassidy is trapped, but Grail and Starr are ready for their assault; Jesse tries to find an unusual rock formation; Tulip attempts to rescue Cassidy.

Credits: Dominic Cooper (Actor), Ruth Negga (Actor), Joseph Gilgun (Actor), W. Earl Brown (Actor), Tom Brooke (Actor)

4th and final season

2 episode premiere tonight
Old 08-05-19, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Preacher (AMC) -- The 4th and Final Season Thread -- Premieres 8/4/19

Maybe now that it's the ending, we can avoid having the characters stuck in the same fucking place all season.
Old 08-05-19, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde View Post
Maybe now that it's the ending, we can avoid having the characters stuck in the same fucking place all season.
They opened with a double-episode premier and at the end of the second episode until the maybe the last minute everyone was pretty much exactly where they were at the start. Everything could easily have fit into a single episode. That's the long-running problem with this show...they take a really interesting premise and fantastical characters and somehow make something incredibly tedious out of it. That and Tulip...she is the worst.
Old 08-12-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't think a channel like AMC was the right place to pull off Preacher. Budgetary issues clearly have dictated how the seasons unfolded.
Old 08-12-19, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I have to admit, I'm totally lost at this point. Luckily, this is the last season so I'll stick it out until the end. This show is like a crazy, disturbing cartoon for adults. Does the current plot(?) follow anything that happened in the original comic?
Old 08-12-19, 07:36 PM

Received 95 Likes on 54 Posts

It’s probably closer to the comic than ever right now, with this “Grail HQ in the desert” plot. But still some major differences, considering the Allfather is dead already, and the comic didn’t have clones of Jesus’ inbred descendant.
Comics spoiler (that will very likely not ruin anything coming in the show):
Spoiler:
In the conclusion of this arc in the comics involved the extremely morbidly obese Allfather falling out of a helicopter and landing on the inbred Messiah, killing them both. And if I remember correctly, it also ends with Tulip thinking Jesse is dead, which leads to her fling with Cassidy, which has already happened on the show.
Old 08-12-19, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by windom View Post
I have to admit, I'm totally lost at this point. Luckily, this is the last season so I'll stick it out until the end. This show is like a crazy, disturbing cartoon for adults. Does the current plot(?) follow anything that happened in the original comic?
It's really different. The core characters -- Jesse, Tulip, Cassidy, Starr, and the Saint of Killers -- are basically the same (some more than others, though), but the plot has been mixed around like crazy.

You can read a pretty good summary on wikipedia, but it might spoil the end of the series. It's hard to tell, though, since they've already changed so much around. If you're particularly spoiler averse, you might not want to read it. I could see the tv series having the same end as the comic series even if the journey to get there is different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...her_story_arcs
Old 09-16-19, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

They're really going over the top with the gross out stuff. Has there ever been a TV character subjected to more brutally violent humiliation him than Herr Starr?
Old 09-16-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I only slog through this thing because it's wrapping up. I was able to go with it despite my frustrations, but this season broke me. It is interesting that Negga and Purcell seem to be in two different series now that they're not an item. Perhaps if they'd broken up a few years ago, we wouldn't have had to put up with such a miscast "Tulip".
Old 09-16-19, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
I only slog through this thing because it's wrapping up. I was able to go with it despite my frustrations, but this season broke me. It is interesting that Negga and Purcell seem to be in two different series now that they're not an item. Perhaps if they'd broken up a few years ago, we wouldn't have had to put up with such a miscast "Tulip".
I think they were always a package deal, which is how this series got both of them when they likely had better offers than a low-budget AMC series. This series was being started right around the time both were considered hot properties for theatrical roles.
Old 09-16-19, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been slowly reading the comics since before s1

its like issues 17/19/20 when cassidy first gets to masada
Old 10-01-19, 08:09 PM

Received 95 Likes on 54 Posts

Well, the series finale was 2 days ago. I thought it ended well, close enough to the comic ending. Still, the series as a whole was so much wasted potential compared to the source material. And I never really warmed up to Negga as Tulip (not the race change, just the actress herself). Still, it really wasn’t bad, and I think I’d have actually loved it had I never read the comic.
Old 10-01-19, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Well, the series finale was 2 days ago. I thought it ended well, close enough to the comic ending. Still, the series as a whole was so much wasted potential compared to the source material. And I never really warmed up to Negga as Tulip (not the race change, just the actress herself). Still, it really wasn’t bad, and I think I’d have actually loved it had I never read the comic.
I was underwhelmed by the finale, and a lot of things ended up just sort of fizzling out without resolutions. But I will say -- despite the meandering and often nonsensical plot -- that for me the final season as a whole was far more fun and interesting than all the previous seasons combined. Except for Tulip. She remained the WORST part of the show right to the end.
Old 10-02-19, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Yeah, Tulip was a very different character than she was in the comics.

There, she was sort of the voice of reason between Jesse's righteous moralizing and Cassidy's libertine pleasure-seeking. (I suppose there's a Freudian id-ego-superego interpretation there.)

In the tv series she was almost as morally unbound as Cassidy; prone to violence and infidelity.
Old 10-02-19, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never read the comic, so I can't compare it with the TV series. But I thought the series was a complete mish-mash of extraordinary visuals and plot pasta thrown against the wall to see what would stick. I watched it all, but I thought it could have been a lot better if it had made more sense.
Old 10-02-19, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This series is even more of a failure when comparing it with another difficult comic book property to adapt that got a beautiful screen adaptation - Doom Patrol.
Old 10-08-19, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished this season tonight, and gotta say it was a slog to get through. I kept having to ask myself if I had missed important plot points because I dozed off, or if it was just so nonsensical that things just weren't on the screen to begin with. For me this was my least favorite season, and I'd put them in 1-2-3-4 order. Never read the comics, and I think Negga is a great actress who was often given poorly written stuff to work with here.

As for the finale, I thought the last 5 minutes or so were kinda sweet, particularly Cassidy's close. Not sure I get the point of the first 50 minutes or so though. I'm guessing that who ends up the throne at the end is the same as the comics? That was another plot point that l couldn't figure out why it didn't just wrap up that way in episode 9. Instead we get a "twist" and then things go back to exactly what you expected to begin with.

Anyway glad this one is over. It was fun for a while, but I never would have lasted through a fifth season.