DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   TV Series You’re Glad They Ended (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/648222-tv-series-youre-glad-they-ended.html)

Toddarino 07-24-19 07:10 PM

TV Series You’re Glad They Ended

I think at some point we have all stuck with a show for too many seasons. Maybe you wanted to see how it all wrapped up? Maybe you just enjoy complaining about how much a show sucks now. Either way are there any Series that finally ended and you’re relieved it’s all over?

For me it was Big Bang Theory. I wanted to bail a few years ago, but I hung around. I loved the first four seasons of Lost, but man I’m glad it’s over.
I had to quit the Walking Dead, but I stil follow up from time to time.

TGM 07-24-19 07:39 PM

Re: Tv Series’ You’re Glad They Ended

Falling Skies

andicus 07-24-19 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 13583429)
Falling Skies

You beat me to it.

Brian Gentz 07-24-19 08:27 PM

How I Met Your Mother: went from a bubble show that I worried every year about it being canceled to just end this already real fast.

Michael Corvin 07-24-19 08:31 PM

I'll toss out ER and The Office. Both of them had a terrible slide in the last few seasons.

I was open to a post Michael Scott version of the Office because he had become a parody of himself. After riding it out (mostly) it's clear that anything past Carrell leaving was dreadful.

ER should have stuck around like Law & Order. Just keep the cast fresh and the weekly cases interesting. Unfortunately it also devolved into a parody of itself relying on stunts and cast members being the victims of accidents and just overall nonsensical plotlines.

Bluelitespecial 07-24-19 08:37 PM

I'm still wondering why Grey's Anatomy is on the air.

Inhumans99 07-24-19 08:39 PM

Game Of Thrones. No, I am not trying to be provocative with this post, I honestly feel that if it had gone on longer that as it often happens with other long running shows primary cast members would slowly drop-off and want out and the show would be much different than it was earlier in its run, it would lose that certain something that made it such a fun show to watch.

The X-Files original run. I stuck around until the end and even through at least the first rebooted season, but imagine if it went out when it really was on top creatively speaking.

The A-Team. Again, watched it until the end, but it really was a hollow shell of itself compared to the early seasons. This is one of my favorite shows but it definitely went on too long.

There are others that I invested many years watching...but the above are just some of the series that popped into my head when I saw this thread.

Finisher 07-24-19 08:41 PM

How I Met Your Mother and The Office went on too long and became chores to watch.

Bill Needle 07-24-19 09:22 PM

American Idol...it was one of those shows I watched with the wife to be a good husband and mercifully it ended.

Then the SOB rose from the dead to continue eating my soul. :(

MrSmearkase 07-24-19 10:30 PM

Heroes

Heroes Reborn

MrRound2 07-24-19 11:04 PM

I like when everyshow ends I watch because then I can stop collecting it or watching it. But ones I wished ended sooner were One Tree Hill, My Family. The Sopranos. King Of The Hill. I really wish the simpsons would end too, its been on as long as i've been alive and thats just wrong

Daytripper 07-24-19 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 13583500)
American Idol...it was one of those shows I watched with the wife to be a good husband and mercifully it ended.

Then the SOB rose from the dead to continue eating my soul. :(

And they revived this fucking show just three years after the original ended. Something no one wanted or asked for. I find all these singing talent shows so depressing. None of the winners have gone on to achieve fame or fortune like the days of Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood. I just feel they give false hope to these singers. Their careers have gone no where since winning these competitions.

Deftones 07-24-19 11:34 PM

Sons of Anarchy. My God it needed to end.

PatD 07-24-19 11:52 PM

The Sopranos

I got tired of hearing how it was the greatest work since Shakespeare. Fuck that over-hyped, overrated, mafia-glorifying tripe.

B5Erik 07-25-19 12:19 AM

Castle.

RE-watching the 8th and final season I was shocked by how good it was compared to it's reputation. It was really good.

But the last episode was just OK, with a clusterfuck of an ending. And then the idea of continuing Castle without Beckett and Lanie? That would have been horrible.

So since they couldn't continue it with both leads, and since the continuing plot threads were the weakness of that last season (with the standalone episodes being the best of the season), it was time to put the show down. And ABC, to their credit, did just that.

Which leaves me (and Castle fans) with 8 seasons of solid material on DVD to enjoy.

JeffTheAlpaca 07-25-19 01:28 AM

Dice on Showtime.

Maybe I bailed during the second season.

if you like a show usually you are not glad when it is over.

Shows that I don't watch like the Bachelor and Greys Anatomy I will be happy when they end.

Sonny Corinthos 07-25-19 05:08 AM

Another vote for Big Bang. That show should have ended years ago.

Miami Vice - I absolutely love the first three seasons. The last two were totally unwatchable. Even today, if I see Tubbs with a beard, I change the channel.

rw2516 07-25-19 05:50 AM

Gotham
Once Upon A Time
Sleepy Hollow
Last Ship
The Strain
I wish Grimm had gone on. I'll never tire of Supernatural.

mwbmis 07-25-19 06:59 AM

Homeland
Shameless
Ray Donovan

Wait....what?

Goat3001 07-25-19 08:33 AM

That 70's Show is still one of my all time favorites but the show really fell apart when main cast members started leaving.

I gave up on Shameless awhile ago. It was treading water for far too long. I can't believe it's going on to season 10.

starseed1981 07-25-19 08:37 AM

Sons Of Anarchy and How I Met Your Mother both overstayed their welcome by at least 3 years imho. Sons Of Anarchy was so unbearable by the end that it ruined the brilliance of the first two seasons.

Right now, Homeland and Shameless are in the same boat. Season 1/2 of Homeland might be the best spy thriller of the century....and by season 7 the president is fighting a blogger. Shameless is actually still very well written but they've been going in circles for years.

davidh777 07-25-19 09:39 AM

Desperate Housewives was bad, had a good reboot season, then was bad again. I forced myself to stick it out till the end.

jpcamb 07-25-19 10:27 AM

another vote for Sons.

Also Sneaky Pete, by the end of season 3 I was barely hanging on to see how they finished off the con and it just petered out.... :(

I'm also glad they ended The Walking Dead with Ricks death. That show had gotten worse and worse. I can only imagine how bad it would have gotten after he left.

;)

stingo 07-25-19 11:09 AM

Re: TV Series You’re Glad They Ended

Legion, depending how they wrap it up. A stellar final season so far.

DJariya 07-25-19 12:27 PM

Re: TV Series You’re Glad They Ended

Rescue Me. I watched the entire 7 season run, but I was glad it ended and I have no interest in ever re-visiting it even though a Blu-ray box set was recently released.