Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What genre do you refuse to watch no matter how popular or well reviewed it is?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What genres do you refuse to watch no matter how popular or well reviewed they are?
Procedurals (One-Off self contained episodes. Any genre)
17.86%
Serialized science fiction
3.57%
Serialized action
1.79%
Serialized young adult dramas (teen, college, early 20s)
26.79%
Animated
7.14%
Superhero
3.57%
Primetime Soap Operas
33.93%
30 minute comedy
3.57%
Serialized adult dramas
7.14%
Reality (Stuff that airs on Bravo, E!)
57.14%
Reality competition (Survivor, The Amazing Race, MasterChef)
44.64%
Fantasy
3.57%
Foreign television (Ex. British, Asian, Canadian)
5.36%
Serialized thrillers/horror (ex. The Walking Dead, American Horror story)
10.71%
Other - Please name it
5.36%
I'm very open minded and will give almost any genre a shot if the premise & actors interest me
21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-19, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I did a thread like this a few years ago in the movie forum, but I thought I would do it here finally.

I've been in this forum for almost 17 years and I know it's mostly populated by middle aged men in their mid to late 40's or even older. There's some younger people, but not many. So with the hundreds of hours of TV that is released throughout the year it's next impossible to predict what you all like or find interesting. Lots of threads get "clicks", but many don't seem to care to say more or elaborate. So what genres do you absolutely refuse to watch no matter how popular, well reviewed, well liked they are?

If there's an overwhelming amount for one genre, maybe I won't do anymore threads for that genre if you all don't care.

For me I'm very opened minded, but I will not touch stuff like The Real Housewives, Vanderpump Rules or the Kardashian stuff.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-22-19 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-22-19, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
Re: What genre do you refuse to watch no matter how popular or well reviewed is is?

i dont watch any reality tv shows. They are all garbage to me from singing, dancing etc. have not enjoyed anything since Americas Funnies Home videos and even that got stale fast for me.
Old 07-22-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: What genre do you refuse to watch no matter how popular or well reviewed is is?

I tend to avoid reality shows (big brother, survivor, etc) and crime procedurals (csi, ncis, law & order, criminal minds, etc).
Old 07-22-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts
Re: What genre do you refuse to watch no matter how popular or well reviewed it is?

Medical dramas, they all suck to me.
Old 07-22-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What genre do you refuse to watch no matter how popular or well reviewed it is?

I'll watch reality shows with like Hard Knocks or Jockeys or anything real but reality game shows do nothing for me.
Old 07-22-19, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Is Body horror/mutilization a genre?
Old 07-22-19, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm open minded enough that if something is getting rave reviews and I'm getting solid word of mouth from friends, I'll give it a shot.

Having said that, there are certain genres that give me pause. I know it's unlikely that I'll get into a procedural or a reality show but there have been enough exceptions that I wouldn't immediately write them off.
Old 07-22-19, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Crime procedurals.
Old 07-22-19, 03:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Medical dramas, they all suck to me.
now maybe, but in the glory days or er, Chicago Hope, St. Elsewhere, even early Grey's Anatomy, they were marvelous.
Old 07-22-19, 04:27 PM

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't watch superhero stuff with the lone exception of Adventures of Superman from the '50s. I forced myself to watch the entire series, but I'll probably never revisit it.

Once I got past the age of 15 or so, I lost all interest in science fiction TV shows. I watched Star Trek TOS as a kid, but I've had zero inclination to revisit it or any of the other series in the Star Trek universe. I've got about the same level of interest in all other science fiction TV shows, as in none. Ditto for fantasy TV shows. My suspension of disbelief doesn't go very far these days.

As to reality television, I love the competition shows (well, at least Survivor and The Amazing Race), but any kind of talent competition and/or Real Housewives and its ilk are maddening.

I'm finding as I get older that I've got far less tolerance for television shows in general. Color me curmudgeonly.
Old 07-22-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

I voted for both reality categories because they're exploitative garbage.

I also voted for young adult dramas, simply because I can't relate to them at all and just don't care. I'm sure their target audience finds merit in them.
Old 07-22-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Every time I'm visiting with my parents I have to listen to my dad talk about how great the latest American Idol singer is, complete with clips on his iPhone. He even tried to connect with my recently by saying one of them was inspired by Ben Harper, thinking I might connect with that. I can't stand Ben Harper and had to tell him so.

I love listening to music, I hate making it a competition.
Old 07-22-19, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I don’t refuse to watch them necessarily, but I don’t actively seek out shows like American Idol or The Voice. If my parents have either on I’ll catch a little but they just aren’t shows I care much about. Not into America’s Got Talent either.

I don’t like a lot of reality shows really but there are certain ones I actually do like for whatever weird reason. Like for instance I kind of like My 600 Pound Life on TLC. I find it oddly interesting (depending on the person featured). Not a fan of competition type reality shows like Survivor or Big Brother.
Old 07-22-19, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I'll give almost anything a chance, but The Shield was likely the last cop show I'll ever watch. There just isn't anything new that can be said about lawyers and cops that hasn't been already covered by the thousands of crime procedurals and law shows preceding it.

Which is a shame because cops and lawyers seemingly comprise about 70% of modern network television characters.
Old 07-22-19, 07:52 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Anything reality or soap opera I mostly don’t consider watching, but do make exceptions occasionally. My wife watches more cooking shows than anything else, and I’ve learned to almost enjoy some moments of them, but if she gave them up I’d never watch another minute.
Old 07-22-19, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Recently, I've been avoiding shows about law enforcement or the military. In the past, I may have been interested in them, but lately, not so much.

There are all these law enforcement or military shows like FBI, Seal Team, Chicago PD, SWAT, The Rookie, etc....and one day it just hit me...why am I watching all these shows, that involve your everyday, normal actor or actress who don't no shit about the real life profession? They try to act all badass on screen and I just can't stand it anymore.

At this point, I'm seeking more serialized dramas with unique plots that are truly set in a fictionalized world and not based on any real life profession (cop, and even doctor, lawyer, etc)
Old 07-22-19, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Recently, I've been avoiding shows about law enforcement or the military. In the past, I may have been interested in them, but lately, not so much.

There are all these law enforcement or military shows like FBI, Seal Team, Chicago PD, SWAT, The Rookie, etc....and one day it just hit me...why am I watching all these shows, that involve your everyday, normal actor or actress who don't no shit about the real life profession? They try to act all badass on screen and I just can't stand it anymore.

At this point, I'm seeking more serialized dramas with unique plots that are truly set in a fictionalized world and not based on any real life profession (cop, and even doctor, lawyer, etc)
They're actors. That's their job. Real life professions are always portrayed in TV and movies. So you would have a problem if Kiefer Sutherland played a LAPD cop or firefighter in a major feature film because it's too real of a profession and it feels phony to you?

For the record, Shemar Moore is great on SWAT. He and his co-stars actually had technical training from the LAPD. They just don't hold guns and act badass. There is always a technical advisor on set to make sure everything is accurate including the way they hold their guns, the formations and their stances in a crisis. Same goes with SEAL team. They all have actual training from the military.

That's fine that you don't enjoy those kind of shows anymore, but don't call them fake and they don't know shit without knowing what goes into the making of them.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-22-19 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-22-19, 08:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

TV Evangelists
Old 07-22-19, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I used to watch and like Reality TV shows like The Amazing Race, Survivor and American Idol. Now, I don't have the patience or time to watch it.
Old 07-23-19, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything by CrApatow or anything with Nathan Fillion in it will never pollute my eyes or brain.
Old 07-23-19, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

If the premise is intriguing, I'll likely give it a shot, regardless of genre. My tastes are all over the place. I'm 35 and I DVR General Hospital, Euphoria, City on a Hill, Survivor, Bar Rescue, The Bachelor, WWE, Legion, Arrowverse, Mike Tyson Mysteries. Whatever.
Old 07-23-19, 08:55 AM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
They're actors. That's their job. Real life professions are always portrayed in TV and movies. So you would have a problem if Kiefer Sutherland played a LAPD cop or firefighter in a major feature film because it's too real of a profession and it feels phony to you?

For the record, Shemar Moore is great on SWAT. He and his co-stars actually had technical training from the LAPD. They just don't hold guns and act badass. There is always a technical advisor on set to make sure everything is accurate including the way they hold their guns, the formations and their stances in a crisis. Same goes with SEAL team. They all have actual training from the military.

That's fine that you don't enjoy those kind of shows anymore, but don't call them fake and they don't know shit without knowing what goes into the making of them.
(On a huge tangent with a similar underlying principle).

One area where they gets things really wrong a lot in tv shows (and movies), is depicting computer type capabilities. Both general stuff and hacking, which is easily laughable if one is familiar with hacking type stuff. (ie. Shows like the MacGyver reboot, Criminal Minds, etc ...).

One of the few shows where they got the hacking stuff right, turns out to be Mr Robot. (I don't know if they actually hired a computer expert as an advisor, and/or if the writers had extensive knowledge of computer hacking).
Old 07-23-19, 11:59 AM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I find hospital shows very distressing, whether they are comedy or drama.
Old 07-23-19, 12:38 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

True crime.

I worked for more than a decade at a newspaper and read enough of that crap to last me a lifetime. I don't understand how it's entertaining to people.
Old 07-23-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I've watched and enjoyed shows in every genre listed so I voted "I'm open to anything".

Though thinking about it more, there are some genres that I haven't watched in years and would take a great deal to get me to try a new one (especially when I have a giant backlog of shows in my favorite genres that I haven't gotten to yet). It's been decades since I've bothered with doctor or lawyer shows. And the only prime time soap opera I regularly watched was Dark Shadows.

Originally Posted by Groucho
TV Evangelists
Ah ... if religious programming counts as a genre that would have to be a solid "nope" from me too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.