Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount+) -- News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Picard (Paramount+) -- News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-20, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts
re: Star Trek: Picard (Paramount+) -- News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
There's no way she didn't already know. That's not how casting works.
I could see it. She has a history with the franchise and other people involved in TNG are making cameos. They may have already had her in mind and dropped it there to get that reaction. Plus it’s for season two, it’s not like surprise we’re adding Guinan to a season one episode.
Old 01-24-20, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I could see it. She has a history with the franchise and other people involved in TNG are making cameos. They may have already had her in mind and dropped it there to get that reaction. Plus it’s for season two, it’s not like surprise we’re adding Guinan to a season one episode.
Yeah, but a contract has to be made. Agents are involved. It's not just like "Hey wanna be in our show?" "Sure!"

Whoopi has already been working for CBS Access for "The Stand," so maybe things are less complicated as far as getting people together, but I'm almost positive she had already signed a deal to be in Season 2.
Old 01-24-20, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Anyone get the feeling that if this goes on for 3 seasons as planned, they will off Picard in the finale of series? Sort of how they did with Kirk in Generations.
Old 01-24-20, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don’t even remember that, but it’s been a while since I’ve watched Nemesis.
My understanding at the time was that the Riker/Troi wedding was supposed to be a much bigger deal, reuniting characters as a sort of fan service, but director Baird was not a Trekkie so he only cared about the plot of this movie and jettisoned a lot of the wedding stuff.
Old 01-24-20, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Anyone get the feeling that if this goes on for 3 seasons as planned, they will off Picard in the finale of series? Sort of how they did with Kirk in Generations.
I almost guarantee that's what the plan is. Even though Stewart is only turning 80 this year, Michael Chabon said on the Ready Room program that Picard is in his early 90s.
Old 01-24-20, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Then she's an even better actor than I already though she was because she looks legit shocked, happy, and overwhelmed by Stewart's invitation.
Old 01-24-20, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They are not "casting" her. Either she agrees and they write Guinan into the second season, and it could be for just one episode, or she declines and they don't do it. They just got renewed for season 2. There are no scripts written yet.
Do you think they "cast" Jeri Ryan, or do you think they invited her to reprise Seven?
The View thing was absolutely real. They already had sense that she would be interested, and it could be as little as a few days work, and she has lots of free time to act. Doing it with Stewart inviting her that way on TV creates exactly the splash they were looking for to coincide with the series launch.
Old 01-24-20, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but a contract has to be made. Agents are involved. It's not just like "Hey wanna be in our show?" "Sure!"

Whoopi has already been working for CBS Access for "The Stand," so maybe things are less complicated as far as getting people together, but I'm almost positive she had already signed a deal to be in Season 2.
I get that but I figure they can probably iron out the details later.
Old 01-24-20, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I’ve never seen any series, but liked most of the movies, oddly, new and old cast, but really want to see this one for some reason. Can’t wait to binge it. What 8 eps?
Don't know if you'll check out any of Next Gen, but if I had to recommend my favorite episode, it would be season 5's "Darmok". It's a great, smaller (Picard-centric) episode that lacks almost any conflict, but nevertheless embodies so much of the idealism of the franchise without being boring. It's one of my favorite episodes of television ever.
Old 01-24-20, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Maybe Q will show up in the final episode and take a dying Jean-Luc Picard beyond the rim to the Q Continuum.
Old 01-24-20, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Oh my!

What?!?!

Holy shit. Everything about the current administration is a fucking joke. They were too lazy to even come up with an original logo.

This should last about 2 secs until the Roddenberry Estate sees it and issues a cease and desist order.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (01-24-20)
Old 01-24-20, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Don't know if you'll check out any of Next Gen, but if I had to recommend my favorite episode, it would be season 5's "Darmok". It's a great, smaller (Picard-centric) episode that lacks almost any conflict, but nevertheless embodies so much of the idealism of the franchise without being boring. It's one of my favorite episodes of television ever.
This a great sci-fi episode of Star Trek that delves into a very interesting philosophy of language issue that would arise in an alien encounter situation. I have always thought that Darmok was fascinating.

Here's a very involved analysis of the episode and its themes:
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...s-fell/372107/
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-27-20)
Old 01-25-20, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

The conceit behind the "Darmok" episode is clever, but the more I think about it, I wonder how the living hell that language would be practical, or even usable, for a technologically advanced species.
Old 01-25-20, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
This a great sci-fi episode of Star Trek that delves into a very interesting philosophy of language issue that would arise in an alien encounter situation. I have always thought that Darmok was fascinating.

Here's a very involved analysis of the episode and its themes:
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...s-fell/372107/
I just recommended "Darmok" to a friend who's never watched Star Trek. I think it's good an episode as any to do that.
Old 01-25-20, 07:38 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/12...853702657?s=20

Oh my!

What?!?!

Holy shit. Everything about the current administration is a fucking joke. They were too lazy to even come up with an original logo.

This should last about 2 secs until the Roddenberry Estate sees it and issues a cease and desist order.

this was the airforce space command logo going back at least until 2005.

but somehow blame Trump. Go ahead.
The following 2 users liked this post by TGM:
bunkaroo (01-25-20), printerati (01-29-22)
Old 01-25-20, 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TGM

this was the airforce space command logo going back at least until 2005.

but somehow blame Trump. Go ahead.
I will. That is not the whole logo including the swoosh and even that one was inspired by the Starfleet Command logo, the new one is an exact copy. They know exactly what they’re doing here. Just another distraction.
Old 01-25-20, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Picard (CBS All Access)

I haven’t watched yet, as I don’t have CBA subscription, but is this scheduled to be a weekly series with 10 episodes? So that would take us into March?
Old 01-25-20, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Star Trek: Picard (CBS All Access)

Yep, it’s weekly and ten episodes long. So March sometime should be the finale.
Old 01-25-20, 12:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Debating my third free month with that JANUARY code. It expires 1/27/2020, so I’d need to re-up to see most of the series. Or maybe just wait until it’s done and binge it and the next Discovery in some future possibly free month.
Old 01-25-20, 12:14 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I will. That is not the whole logo including the swoosh and even that one was inspired by the Starfleet Command logo, the new one is an exact copy. They know exactly what they’re doing here. Just another distraction.
you mean like the swoosh on the NASA logo that had been around forever? jfc, find something else to be pissed about.
Old 01-25-20, 12:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TGM
you mean like the swoosh on the NASA logo that had been around forever? jfc, find something else to be pissed about.
It's been around forever because it was also inspired by Trek.

Many of the the folks who work for Nasa openly admit to being inspired by Trek to get into their prospective fields, and that's great. But if you're blatantly going to rip off a well known pop-culture symbol at least admit it.

But of course that's the whole point isn't it?
Old 01-26-20, 07:30 AM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM

It's been around forever because it was also inspired by Trek.

Many of the the folks who work for Nasa openly admit to being inspired by Trek to get into their prospective fields, and that's great. But if you're blatantly going to rip off a well known pop-culture symbol at least admit it.

But of course that's the whole point isn't it?
Hey, If this keeps up they might even name a ship that might have been in Star Trek.

And don't get me started - it looks like Star Trek did the same thing

And just where could have they get the silly idea in naming a ship the "Enterprise"

If this keeps up they will start naming space missions on Greek mythology or something.

Old 01-26-20, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I almost guarantee that's what the plan is. Even though Stewart is only turning 80 this year, Michael Chabon said on the Ready Room program that Picard is in his early 90s.
Don’t people live way longer in the Trek future?

I doubt they’ll kill him off. I think he’ll just ride off into the sunset in some way.
Old 01-26-20, 09:40 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard that the first episode was a mess so I went in with zero expectations and thought it was really good.

I wonder if they'll get the same actor to play Maddox if he ever shows up. that'd be nice.

sucks that Data isn't really alive and his B4 trick didn't work... but I guess only one part of his neural net COULD recreate him? Wasn't that what was said? Would be kind of cool at the end of all of this they recreate Data himself but I doubt that will happen. Totally corny and ultimately fanboy and now somewhat repetitive of The Rise of Skywalker but if at the end of this shows run when they kill off Picard (and they will, but his fate may be somewhat ambiguous) they have a shot of a new Enterprise ship The G? H? and you overhear ensigns talking about getting the wrath of Captain Picard in the turbolift… maybe rushing to get to the bridge because they'll be late for their shift... and ultimately "Captain Picard" is really a resurrected Data who takes the last name of Picard in honor of his friend. Yep... totally corny but damn that would be awesome to see and a cool way to end the series.
Old 01-26-20, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Actually the first 3 episodes are a reunion fest and are ok. But the rest of the episodes that turn the show into modern trek hell.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.